Question about setting goals.

WannaBLean

Guest
Several questions actually....

1. How important is setting specific goals for weekly losses? I have just been "hoping for a loss"
each week, but from some of your posts I gather that goal-setting is something some of you do
regularly.

2. What do you do if a goal isn't met? I'm kinda hard on myself mentally anyway and don't want to
fall into a negativity trap, as I am prone to do thanks to a rough childhood. How do you "cope"
if you don't reach your goal?

3. How long should it take to "reach a goal"? I don't mean long-term, as I KNOW I will not lose 100
pounds in two months, but say if I wanted to break down that 100 pounds into mini-goals, how do
I go about it? I'm sorry to sound so dumb, but when it comes to weight loss, I am a veteran
failure and I am admitting that I need help. I have already begun visualizing myself at goal
before going to sleep at night and while walking on the treadmill, but I can't just keep "hoping
for a loss" each week and expect to be successful. I know myself too well. Any advice? Anyone?
Thanks in advance.

WW suggests a loss of 1 to 2 pounds per week and that should help you frame a reasonable goal but
also remember that everyone has their own body which may respond to all the patterns and eating and
water and exercise differently. I allowed WW to merely set a 10% goal - that is lose 10% of current,
starting weight. BUT there was no time limit.

It varied from week to week and I was always happy with the result but never really knew what to
expect - at the beginning I did not weigh myself at home so it was always an unknown. (I think I was
one of the lucky ones and possibly unusual in losing something each week)

The actual goal that matched my height was something that was too far away and frankly, I did not
expect to reach it - I thought it was not possible and I just wanted to lose about 20 or 30 pounds
so the WW goal was not something I really put much stock in. I even got a doc's note when I was
there for another reason for a higher weight.

I did not initially join any of the challenges you will see here. When I did, I fashioned my goal
based on my real loses and did not inflate them or try for anything unreasonable. As you say, you
do not want to set yourself up for failure. You want a reasonable objective which for many is
just to stick with the program and not pin your hopes on any specific outcome. There are the
birthday and anniversary and xmas dinners and vacations which all may throw a monkeywrench into
things on occasion. Just go with the flow and get back on program at the next meal, day, week or
after vacation.

Again, everyone is different and loses at a different rate. But the program works if you stick with
it. So don't even stress over an interim objective other than trying as best as possible to stay
with the program and change habits to accommodate them.

Fred
219.2/158.8/164. (Lifetime July 2003) Started WW: Oct 29, 2002

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 23:02:14 -0600, "WannaBLean" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Several questions actually....
>
>1. How important is setting specific goals for weekly losses? I have just been "hoping for a loss"
> each week, but from some of your posts I gather that goal-setting is something some of you do
> regularly.
>
>2. What do you do if a goal isn't met? I'm kinda hard on myself mentally anyway and don't want to
> fall into a negativity trap, as I am prone to do thanks to a rough childhood. How do you "cope"
> if you don't reach your goal?
>
>3. How long should it take to "reach a goal"? I don't mean long-term, as I KNOW I will not lose 100
> pounds in two months, but say if I wanted to break down that 100 pounds into mini-goals, how do
> I go about it? I'm sorry to sound so dumb, but when it comes to weight loss, I am a veteran
> failure and I am admitting that I need help. I have already begun visualizing myself at goal
> before going to sleep at night and while walking on the treadmill, but I can't just keep "hoping
> for a loss" each week and expect to be successful. I know myself too well. Any advice? Anyone?
> Thanks in advance.

"WannaBLean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Several questions actually....
>
> 1. How important is setting specific goals for weekly losses? I have just been "hoping for a loss"
> each week, but from some of your posts I gather that goal-setting is something some of you do
> regularly.

To me, the number isn't the goal. Each person's body loses weigh differently and it's not a race. My
first goal was to journal everything that went into my mouth and be aware of how my body felt when I
was eating (was I eating to fill myself up because I was hurt, was I eating because it just tasted
good and I wasn't hungry any more, things like that). I didn't count points or calories. My next
goal was to maintain the journal and then stop eating when I was satisfied (read: not feeling like I
ate too much). Then I'd make goals like swapping out one different meal a day for something
healthier.

> 2. What do you do if a goal isn't met? I'm kinda hard on myself mentally anyway and don't want to
> fall into a negativity trap, as I am prone to do thanks to a rough childhood. How do you "cope"
> if you don't reach your
goal?

If my goal wasn't met, I'd try a different goal until I found one that I could meet. I take baby
steps because I don't want to set myself up for failing because I am too hard on myself. Losing
weight isn't like flipping a switch and turning on willpower mode.

Before I set my goal, I ask myself what little step would I be happy to accomplish this week. Then I
try to accomplish it-like drinking enough water each day or not eating after a certain hour of the
night, etc.

Just remember that you didn't gain the food habits that you currently have overnight, so you're not
going to break them and melt the weight off overnight either. This one is hard for me because I want
to see a day's effort of being good pay off instantly and it doesn't work that way.

> 3. How long should it take to "reach a goal"? I don't mean long-term, as I KNOW I will not lose
> 100 pounds in two months, but say if I wanted to
break
> down that 100 pounds into mini-goals, how do I go about it? I'm sorry to sound so dumb, but when
> it comes to weight loss, I am a veteran failure
and
> I am admitting that I need help. I have already begun visualizing myself
at
> goal before going to sleep at night and while walking on the treadmill,
but
> I can't just keep "hoping for a loss" each week and expect to be
successful.
> I know myself too well. Any advice? Anyone? Thanks in advance.

You don't sound dumb. You sound like someone who wants to do something about their weight and that
is your first Non Scale Victory (NSV). Losing weight isn't about a diet. It's about making food
choices that you can live with for the rest of your life. Some days are better than others.

As far as breaking down your mini-goals, you can do it in 5 pound increments, percentages, certain
numbers, etc. I won't post my starting weight/current weight/goal weight until I reach under a
certain number because I'm embarassed to have gotten back to that number. Whatever you think is
easiest for you and whatever goal will make you happy for making it to that goal. I know it sounds
circular, but this change is really all about you and what you want.

I think you need to start recording everything you eat, including the portion size, etc. If you
don't have a food scale, just try to give it an approximate size (like a deck of card, the size of
your fist, whatever). Don't worry about the calories/points at first. If you lick something off your
finger, record it. If you catch yourself eating something that you didn't record before you ate it,
record it then. Also record your beverage intake (water, caffeinated beverages, sweeteners/creams in
your coffee, etc).

I also think that your first NSV should be to forgive yourself for eating too much of (insert food
here) and not kick yourself then not eat whatever is next in your spiral. You'll be doing yourself a
big favor with that one all around.

I'll probably have more to add tomorrow, but the letters are starting to swim on the screen.

Night, Julie

Very good post, my answers are in the middle of it.....
"WannaBLean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Several questions actually....
>
> 1. How important is setting specific goals for weekly losses? I have just been "hoping for a loss"
> each week, but from some of your posts I gather that goal-setting is something some of you do
> regularly.

*****for me, goal setting and rewards were very important. I set goals for behaviors, so many days
of keeping my journal, drinking the water, etc, since losing was not going to happen every week. The
rewards were specific, planned for every 5 pounds lost, written out, and purchased without fail.

> 2. What do you do if a goal isn't met? I'm kinda hard on myself mentally anyway and don't want to
> fall into a negativity trap, as I am prone to do thanks to a rough childhood. How do you "cope"
> if you don't reach your
goal?

***********This time around when I did not meet a goal, I looked at the sign on my refrigerator that
said "quit tomorrow" and I jumped right back on program. I told myself that humans are Human, and
that I never met a person at goal who said they never went off program. They just did not allow it
to stop them. I am the worlds worst perfectionist, but I can tell you from here at Goal, the major
thing I did differently this time was allow myself to be human, and not get down.

> 3. How long should it take to "reach a goal"? I don't mean long-term, as I KNOW I will not lose
> 100 pounds in two months, but say if I wanted to
break
> down that 100 pounds into mini-goals, how do I go about it? I'm sorry to sound so dumb, but when
> it comes to weight loss, I am a veteran failure
and
> I am admitting that I need help. I have already begun visualizing myself
at
> goal before going to sleep at night and while walking on the treadmill,
but
> I can't just keep "hoping for a loss" each week and expect to be
successful.
> I know myself too well. Any advice? Anyone? Thanks in advance.

**********I averaged a little over a pound a week. Others are faster. I got here, and have
maintained now for 6 months. I think the way I learned to deal with actual life happening over the
18 months it took me to lose the last 80 pounds of the 200 something I lost, were invaluable.
Looking back it seems like no time at all. I Had specific behaviors though. I did not "hope" for a
loss. I planned for one. On paper. When I didn't get it, I was able to look back at written weeks
where I Had gotten it, to inspire me.

WOW! You guys are GREAT! And I am happy to report that I DID NOT have
pizza at parent-teacher conference tonight. Not because I couldn't have it
points-wise, but just because turning it down made me feel strong. :) I mean
it you guys. I AM GOING TO DO IT THIS TIME!! I know y'all believe I will,
too. :)
"Lesanne" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> at
> > goal before going to sleep at night and while walking on the treadmill,
> but
> > I can't just keep "hoping for a loss" each week and expect to be
> successful.
> > I know myself too well. Any advice? Anyone? Thanks in advance.
> >
> **********I averaged a little over a pound a week. Others are faster. I got here, and have
> maintained now for 6 months. I think the way I learned to deal with actual life happening over the
> 18 months it took me to lose
the
> last 80 pounds of the 200 something I lost, were invaluable. Looking back it seems like no time at
> all. I Had specific behaviors though. I did not "hope" for a loss. I planned for one. On paper.
> When I didn't get it, I was able to look back at written weeks where I Had gotten it, to inspire

Great job on the pizza. And yes, I know you are going to make it, you are asking for help when you
need it, and not Quitting. You don't need another thing.!!

wrote:

>Several questions actually....
>
>1. How important is setting specific goals for weekly losses? I have just been "hoping for a loss"
> each week, but from some of your posts I gather that goal-setting is something some of you do
> regularly.

I'm always grateful for any loss, even a maintain. I set undated mini weight goals for myself
because it keeps me focused. Kinda like following a trail of bread crumbs in the forest when the end
of the trail is too far ahead. I just have to get from one mini-goal to the next. I've set mini-
goals that are meaningful to me, usually 2-3 lbs apart, just far enough that I have to work for
them, not so far that I can't reach them in a couple of weeks. Since fluctuations and special
occasions are part of life I don't sweat over reaching them by a particular date.

>2. What do you do if a goal isn't met? I'm kinda hard on myself mentally anyway and don't want to
> fall into a negativity trap, as I am prone to do thanks to a rough childhood. How do you "cope"
> if you don't reach your goal?

One thing I do is tell myself that a bad day is just that: a bad day. It's not a reflection of my
worth as a human being.

Also, since I don't attach dates to my mini-goals, other than the goal set for the group challenges,
I don't usually have to do much "coping" with unmet goals. But that isn't to say I've never been
disappointed. The support and encouragement of this group has certainly helped me to be more
forgiving and patient with myself. More and more I'm able to accept that as long as I don't quit,
I'm not failing. That every maintain or gain is as much a part of the journey as every loss. Heck, I
call myself a lifetimer already, because I intend to follow this way of eating for life. In that
sense, I'm already at goal!

>3. How long should it take to "reach a goal"? I don't mean long-term, as I KNOW I will not lose 100
> pounds in two months, but say if I wanted to break down that 100 pounds into mini-goals, how do
> I go about it? I'm sorry to sound so dumb, but when it comes to weight loss, I am a veteran
> failure and I am admitting that I need help. I have already begun visualizing myself at goal
> before going to sleep at night and while walking on the treadmill, but I can't just keep "hoping
> for a loss" each week and expect to be successful. I know myself too well. Any advice? Anyone?
> Thanks in advance.

I can only say what has helped me. From the beginning, I've had a hard time thinking of myself as
thin or normal weight. I don't even know what normal weight is. That's one reason the mini-goals
help. I can imagine weighing 2, 3, 5 lbs less than now. But sometimes even 10 lbs lighter is hard to
imagine. When I think now at having lost 70+ lbs to date, I can hardly believe it. So for me,
visualizing success has had little to do with my actual success. For a long time, I thought that in
order to be thin, I first had to have worked through all the emotional and psychological issues that
kept me overeating and fat. I suppose I have done that, to a certain extent. But at some point, I
came to realize that I can be thin and crazy. Several years ago, I was in Overeaters Anonymous. Some
of the OA sayings help me now: "Do the work and the results will follow." "It works if you work it."
"Progress not perfection."

What I appreciate about WW is that there are as many ways to work the program as there are people in
the program. If visualizing thinness is what works for you, then do that. But don't sweat it if it
doesn't. Just try something else.

This is what I believe: The only failure is to quit. As long as you're trying, you're making
progress. You only have to do this one day at a time.

You're asking yourself the hard questions and working through the answers. In my mind, that's the
best indicator of success. You can do this!

Linda P
232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

Great post Linda! -Julie

"Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> point, I came to realize that I can be thin and crazy. Several years ago, I was in Overeaters
> Anonymous. Some of the OA sayings help me now: "Do the work and the results will follow." "It
> works if you work it." "Progress not perfection."
>
> What I appreciate about WW is that there are as many ways to work the program as there are people
> in the program. If visualizing thinness is what works for you, then do that. But don't sweat it if
> it doesn't. Just try something else.
>
> This is what I believe: The only failure is to quit. As long as you're trying, you're making
> progress. You only have to do this one day at a time.
>
> You're asking yourself the hard questions and working through the answers. In my mind, that's the
> best indicator of success. You can do this!
>
> Linda P
> 232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

In answer to question 1, I should also have clarified that my mini-goals are more like mini-
milestones. They're a means for to mark my progress. I also take my measurements once a month for
the same reason. (I don't have any measurement goals! I have no idea what shape my body really is.)
I also mark off my progress by making a paper clip chain, one clip per pound. To make it even more
impressive, I use 2" clips. My paper clip chain hangs on my office cubicle wall and it's now 144"
long. Now THAT'S visual! <G>

Linda P

On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 21:45:25 -0600, Prairie Roots <[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>in the program. If visualizing thinness is what works for you, then do that. But don't sweat it if
>it doesn't. Just try something else.
>
>This is what I believe: The only failure is to quit. As long as you're trying, you're making
>progress. You only have to do this one day at a time.
>
>You're asking yourself the hard questions and working through the answers. In my mind, that's the
>best indicator of success. You can do this!
>
>Linda P
>232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 23:02:14 -0600, "WannaBLean" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Several questions actually....
>
>1. How important is setting specific goals for weekly losses? I have just been "hoping for a loss"
> each week, but from some of your posts I gather that goal-setting is something some of you do

Importance depends on the individual. For me it was important, otherwise all I had to look ahead to
was that final number ... which was close to 100 pounds away and very daunting. But setting up mini-
goals along the way, I didn't look at the final goal. I only looked ahead to the next few pounds.
THIS I knew I could accomplish. Keep things in a positive mode.

>2. What do you do if a goal isn't met? I'm kinda hard on myself mentally anyway and don't want to
> fall into a negativity trap, as I am prone to do thanks to a rough childhood. How do you "cope"
> if you don't reach your goal?

I didn't set up time frames for my goals, only milestone markers. This way there never was a goal
that wasn't met. Some may have taken longer, but eventually they were reached. So there really
wasn't any negative issues for me to cope with along the way either.

>3. How long should it take to "reach a goal"? I don't mean long-term, as I KNOW I will not lose 100
> pounds in two months, but say if I wanted to break down that 100 pounds into mini-goals, how do
> I go about it?

Again, move away from the time frames, only use markers. I had mine set up at a few pound intervals
... some 10%'s, some new decades, whatever numbers strike your fancy or seem important to you. For
example, I started out at 228 so of course ww suggested my first mini-goal be 10%. Well, that was 28
pounds - pretty daunting for me. So for me, my first goal was to reach the two-teens ... then two-
0's ... then onederland ... then 10%. After that I may have moved into more 5 pound mini-goals as
the weightlosses were a bit slower than in the beginning. Mixing in a second 10%, third 10% and
those mini-goals were sometimes even just a pound apart. There was always something to look forward
to, always something to keep me motivated, and they were small enough to always seem possible. I
never said *in 2

me to fail then, was to quit.

>I'm sorry to sound so dumb, but when it comes to weight loss, I am a veteran failure and I am
>admitting that I need help. I have already begun visualizing myself at goal before going to sleep
>at night and while walking on the treadmill, but I can't just keep "hoping for a loss" each week
>and expect to be successful. I know myself too well. Any advice? Anyone? Thanks in advance.

You don't sound dumb at all! Asking for help is why we all are here. If we didn't need help, we
probably wouldn't have ended up having to lose the weight. I don't know how to get past hoping
for those losses as I think we all still do it from time to time. Right now my scale is showing
me up a few pounds, yes, I am hoping for losses. It's normal. But I do think the mini-
goal/milestone approach may be perfect for you, might get your mind off the *big picture* which
seems so terribly daunting.

Joyce

I appreciate these wonderful answers and this wonderful supportive group. I
never felt THIS accepted at WW meetings!
"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 23:02:14 -0600, "WannaBLean" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> >Several questions actually....
> >
> >1. How important is setting specific goals for weekly losses? I have just been "hoping for a
> > loss" each week, but from some of your posts I gather that goal-setting is something some of
> > you do regularly.
>
> Importance depends on the individual. For me it was important, otherwise
all I
> had to look ahead to was that final number ... which was close to 100
pounds away
> and very daunting. But setting up mini-goals along the way, I didn't look
at the
> final goal. I only looked ahead to the next few pounds. THIS I knew I
could
> accomplish. Keep things in a positive mode.
>

> >2. What do you do if a goal isn't met? I'm kinda hard on myself mentally anyway and don't want to
> > fall into a negativity trap, as I am prone to do thanks to a rough childhood. How do you
> > "cope" if you don't reach your
goal?

> I didn't set up time frames for my goals, only milestone markers. This
way there
> never was a goal that wasn't met. Some may have taken longer, but
eventually they
> were reached. So there really wasn't any negative issues for me to cope
with
> along the way either.
>
> >3. How long should it take to "reach a goal"? I don't mean long-term, as
> >KNOW I will not lose 100 pounds in two months, but say if I wanted to
break
> >down that 100 pounds into mini-goals, how do I go about it?
>
> Again, move away from the time frames, only use markers. I had mine set
up at a
> few pound intervals ... some 10%'s, some new decades, whatever numbers
strike your
> fancy or seem important to you. For example, I started out at 228 so of
course ww
> suggested my first mini-goal be 10%. Well, that was 28 pounds - pretty
daunting
> for me. So for me, my first goal was to reach the two-teens ... then
two-0's ...
> then onederland ... then 10%. After that I may have moved into more 5
pound
> mini-goals as the weightlosses were a bit slower than in the beginning.
Mixing in
> a second 10%, third 10% and those mini-goals were sometimes even just a
pound
> apart. There was always something to look forward to, always something to
keep me
> motivated, and they were small enough to always seem possible. I never
said *in 2

way for
> [...]

but
> >I can't just keep "hoping for a loss" each week and expect to be
successful.
> >I know myself too well. Any advice? Anyone? Thanks in advance.
>
> You don't sound dumb at all! Asking for help is why we all are here. If
we
> didn't need help, we probably wouldn't have ended up having to lose the
weight. I
> don't know how to get past hoping for those losses as I think we all still
do it
> from time to time. Right now my scale is showing me up a few pounds, yes,
I am
> hoping for losses. It's normal. But I do think the mini-goal/milestone
approach
> may be perfect for you, might get your mind off the *big picture* which

I can't deal with the whole amount I need to lose so I just keep setting
another ten percent, I figure out how I have lost in the past to set a time
line for the losses. I use this as a guideline as the goal is to eventually
lose the ten percent no matter how long it takes, I also check each week to
see how much more I have to lose to get the next five pound star and how
long I have to go before I get another magnet. The point is to deal with it
in a way that is not discouraging. I got a tip from someone at a meeting
that has helped me, this woman said she looks at her booklet every four
weeks, and if she has lost anything then it has been a successful month,
good luck, Lee
WannaBLean <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Several questions actually....
>
> 1. How important is setting specific goals for weekly losses? I have just been "hoping for a loss"
> each week, but from some of your posts I gather that goal-setting is something some of you do
> regularly.
>
> 2. What do you do if a goal isn't met? I'm kinda hard on myself mentally anyway and don't want to
> fall into a negativity trap, as I am prone to do thanks to a rough childhood. How do you "cope"
> if you don't reach your
goal?

> 3. How long should it take to "reach a goal"? I don't mean long-term, as I KNOW I will not lose
> 100 pounds in two months, but say if I wanted to
break
> down that 100 pounds into mini-goals, how do I go about it? I'm sorry to sound so dumb, but when
> it comes to weight loss, I am a veteran failure
and
> I am admitting that I need help. I have already begun visualizing myself
at
> goal before going to sleep at night and while walking on the treadmill,
but
> I can't just keep "hoping for a loss" each week and expect to be
successful.
> I know myself too well. Any advice? Anyone? Thanks in advance.

great post, Lee
Fred <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> > "cope" if you don't reach your
goal?

> >3. How long should it take to "reach a goal"? I don't mean long-term, as
> >KNOW I will not lose 100 pounds in two months, but say if I wanted to
break
> >down that 100 pounds into mini-goals, how do I go about it? I'm sorry to sound so dumb, but when
> >it comes to weight loss, I am a veteran failure
and
> >I am admitting that I need help. I have already begun visualizing myself
at
> >goal before going to sleep at night and while walking on the treadmill,
but
> >I can't just keep "hoping for a loss" each week and expect to be
successful.
> >I know myself too well. Any advice? Anyone? Thanks in advance.

this entire thread is great, Lee
> [...]
> at
> > goal before going to sleep at night and while walking on the treadmill,
> but
> > I can't just keep "hoping for a loss" each week and expect to be
> successful.
> > I know myself too well. Any advice? Anyone? Thanks in advance.
> >
> **********I averaged a little over a pound a week. Others are faster. I got here, and have
> maintained now for 6 months. I think the way I learned to deal with actual life happening over the
> 18 months it took me to lose
the
> last 80 pounds of the 200 something I lost, were invaluable. Looking back it seems like no time at
> all. I Had specific behaviors though. I did not "hope" for a loss. I planned for one. On paper.
> When I didn't get it, I was able to look back at written weeks where I Had gotten it, to inspire

My father told me once that G*D didn't punish people who always did their
best. It doesn't matter what others do just you. The one day at a time is
sometimes, one minute at a time or one bite at a time, Lee
> [...]
> point, I came to realize that I can be thin and crazy. Several years ago, I was in Overeaters
> Anonymous. Some of the OA sayings help me now: "Do the work and the results will follow." "It
> works if you work it." "Progress not perfection."
>
> What I appreciate about WW is that there are as many ways to work the program as there are people
> in the program. If visualizing thinness is what works for you, then do that. But don't sweat it if
> it doesn't. Just try something else.
>
> This is what I believe: The only failure is to quit. As long as you're trying, you're making
> progress. You only have to do this one day at a time.
>
> You're asking yourself the hard questions and working through the answers. In my mind, that's the
> best indicator of success. You can do this!
>
> Linda P
> 232/159.6/WW goal 145 joined WW Online 22-Feb-2003

very encouraging, Lee
> [...]

but
> >I can't just keep "hoping for a loss" each week and expect to be
successful.
> >I know myself too well. Any advice? Anyone? Thanks in advance.
>
> You don't sound dumb at all! Asking for help is why we all are here. If
we
> didn't need help, we probably wouldn't have ended up having to lose the
weight. I
> don't know how to get past hoping for those losses as I think we all still
do it
> from time to time. Right now my scale is showing me up a few pounds, yes,
I am
> hoping for losses. It's normal. But I do think the mini-goal/milestone
approach
> may be perfect for you, might get your mind off the *big picture* which

wonderful NSV, Lee
> [...]
treadmill,
> > but
> > > I can't just keep "hoping for a loss" each week and expect to be
> > successful.
> > > I know myself too well. Any advice? Anyone? Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > **********I averaged a little over a pound a week. Others are faster.
> > got here, and have maintained now for 6 months. I think the way I
learned
> > to deal with actual life happening over the 18 months it took me to lose
> the
> > last 80 pounds of the 200 something I lost, were invaluable. Looking
back
> > it seems like no time at all. I Had specific behaviors though. I did
not
> > "hope" for a loss. I planned for one. On paper. When I didn't get it,
> > was able to look back at written weeks where I Had gotten it, to inspire

I am sorry, my meetings are much like this group so I get double whammy
support, Lee
LuvDaVols <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]
> strike your
> > fancy or seem important to you. For example, I started out at 228 so of
> course ww
> > suggested my first mini-goal be 10%. Well, that was 28 pounds - pretty
> daunting
> > for me. So for me, my first goal was to reach the two-teens ... then
> two-0's ...
> > then onederland ... then 10%. After that I may have moved into more 5
> pound
> > mini-goals as the weightlosses were a bit slower than in the beginning.
> Mixing in
> > a second 10%, third 10% and those mini-goals were sometimes even just a
> pound
> > apart. There was always something to look forward to, always something
> keep me
> > motivated, and they were small enough to always seem possible. I never

only