Question about shoes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Spike852, Jun 28, 2003.

  1. Spike852

    Spike852 Guest

    If this is the wrong forum for this, please accept my apology and redirect
    me...

    Years ago, I bought a very nice Raleigh aluminum road bike. For various reasons it has been in
    severe disuse for quite a while. Recently, I decided that it was rather silly for it to be taking up
    space like that and decided to get back on and start riding so that maybe I can re-design my gut and
    make my wife happier to look at me... I got the old shoes out and they just plain hurt -- they're
    too small and I need to replace them. I need a new pair of shoes that I can use with my Look system
    pedals. They need to be roomier than what I've found generally in bike shops. Also, I need to
    stretch that footwear dollar because I just bought a house (somebody suggested a $180 (US) pair of
    Sidi shoes but that seems a bit much right now). Does anybody have any suggestions on a good shoe
    for less money?

    Also, I'm thinking that I need a somewhat less aggressive gearing than I have right now until I
    start getting back into shape. I really don't want to replace the 13-23 cassette. The chainrings are
    42 and 53 teeth. Would replacing the 42 with a 38 make an appreciable difference?

    TIA -spike

    Tags:

  2. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    "spike852" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > If this is the wrong forum for this, please accept my apology and redirect
    > me...
    >
    > Years ago, I bought a very nice Raleigh aluminum road bike. For various reasons it has been in
    > severe disuse for quite a while. Recently, I
    decided
    > that it was rather silly for it to be taking up space like that and
    decided
    > to get back on and start riding so that maybe I can re-design my gut and make my wife happier to
    > look at me... I got the old shoes out and they just plain hurt -- they're too small and
    > need to replace them. I need a new pair of shoes that I can use with my Look system pedals. They
    > need to be roomier than what I've found
    generally
    > in bike shops. Also, I need to stretch that footwear dollar because I
    just
    > bought a house (somebody suggested a $180 (US) pair of Sidi shoes but that seems a bit much right
    > now). Does anybody have any suggestions on a good shoe for less money?
    >
    > Also, I'm thinking that I need a somewhat less aggressive gearing than I have right now until I
    > start getting back into shape. I really don't want to replace the 13-23 cassette. The chainrings
    > are 42 and 53 teeth. Would replacing the 42 with a 38 make an appreciable difference?
    >
    > TIA -spike

    Shimano makes a Look compatible shoe that is inexpensive and that I have been using for about a
    year.(SPD-R) I find it comfortable and a good value.

    Yes it would make a big difference if you change to a 39 tooth chainring, be aware that you may need
    a new front derailer, may being the operative word here.

    Dashii

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    "spike852" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Also, I'm thinking that I need a somewhat less aggressive gearing than I have right now until I
    > start getting back into shape. I really don't
    want
    > to replace the 13-23 cassette. The chainrings are 42 and 53 teeth.
    Would
    > replacing the 42 with a 38 make an appreciable difference?

    Not much: not as much difference to the bottom gear as just changing the cassette for a 13-26.
    However, a 38 ring will mean the smaller cogs will be used slightly more of the time - where they'll
    be smaller jumps between the gears.

    See: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

    ~PB

  4. Tim McNamara

    Tim McNamara Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, "spike852"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I got the old shoes out and they just plain hurt -- they're too small and I need to replace them.
    > I need a new pair of shoes that I can use with my Look system pedals. They need to be roomier than
    > what I've found generally in bike shops. Also, I need to stretch that footwear dollar because I
    > just bought a house (somebody suggested a $180 (US) pair of Sidi shoes but that seems a bit much
    > right now). Does anybody have any suggestions on a good shoe for less money?

    You don't mention your shoe size. If you wear a size 50 (US 14) or larger, or if you have a E width
    foot or wider, you're going to have trouble finding shoes.

    Carnacs generally have a larger toe box than most cycling shoes and come in a variety of price
    ranges. Lake shoes tend to be excellent value for money and most come in a wide version.

    > Also, I'm thinking that I need a somewhat less aggressive gearing than I have right now until I
    > start getting back into shape. I really don't want to replace the 13-23 cassette. The chainrings
    > are 42 and 53 teeth. Would replacing the 42 with a 38 make an appreciable difference?

    It's faster and easier- and possibly cheaper- to replace the cassette. However, for climbing yes, a
    38 or 39 will be noticeable. Note that a 42 x 24 and a 39 x 23 are about the same gear.

  5. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 20:00:22 GMT, "spike852" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Years ago, I bought a very nice Raleigh aluminum road bike. For various reasons it has been in
    >severe disuse for quite a while. Recently, I decided that it was rather silly for it to be taking
    >up space like that and decided to get back on and start riding so that maybe I can re-design my gut
    >and make my wife happier to look at me... I got the old shoes out and they just plain hurt --
    >they're too small and I need to replace them. I need a new pair of shoes that I can use with my
    >Look system pedals. They need to be roomier than what I've found generally in bike shops. Also, I
    >need to stretch that footwear dollar because I just bought a house (somebody suggested a $180 (US)
    >pair of Sidi shoes but that seems a bit much right now). Does anybody have any suggestions on a
    >good shoe for less money?

    Check the Performance web site. They are having a shoe sale just now that includes a pair of Shimano
    road shoes at $27.98. Their store brand models are pretty inexpensive also.

    For what it's worth I have a pair of their el cheapo MTB shoes that I use with my MTB and touring
    bike. They've given a few seasons of good value. As a point of comparison I usually ride with Sidi
    Energies but find the Performance brand acceptable for the uses to which I put them.

  6. Spike852

    Spike852 Guest

    "Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, "spike852"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I got the old shoes out and they just plain hurt -- they're too small and I need to replace
    > > them. I need a new pair of shoes that I can use with my Look system pedals. They need to be
    > > roomier than what I've found generally in bike shops. Also, I need to stretch that footwear
    > > dollar because I just bought a house (somebody suggested a $180 (US) pair of Sidi shoes but that
    > > seems a bit much right now). Does anybody have any suggestions on a good shoe for less money?
    >
    > You don't mention your shoe size. If you wear a size 50 (US 14) or larger, or if you have a E
    > width foot or wider, you're going to have trouble finding shoes.

    I have a very average-length foot (43). My foot is tall, not wide. It also causes me problems in
    finding anything other than sneakers to fit comfortably. Usually I have to pick something that is
    marginal and suffer until my foot stretches it out.

    > > Also, I'm thinking that I need a somewhat less aggressive gearing than I have right now until I
    > > start getting back into shape. I really don't want to replace the 13-23 cassette. The chainrings
    > > are 42 and 53 teeth. Would replacing the 42 with a 38 make an appreciable difference?
    >
    > It's faster and easier- and possibly cheaper- to replace the cassette. However, for climbing yes,
    > a 38 or 39 will be noticeable. Note that a 42 x 24 and a 39 x 23 are about the same gear.

    That's the key -- I live in a fairly hilly area and climbing (which I used to really enjoy, and not
    just for the descents on the other side) is now the thing I dread because of my lack of fitness and
    the fact that the gear ratios are not like those you'd find on a bike at the local mass merchant.
    For the record, it's a 11- or 12-year-old Technium aluminum Raleigh with Shimano 105 components.

    thanks.