Question about shoes

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Spike852, Jun 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spike852

Spike852 Guest

If this is the wrong forum for this, please accept my apology and redirect
    me...

Years ago, I bought a very nice Raleigh aluminum road bike. For various reasons it has been in
    severe disuse for quite a while. Recently, I decided that it was rather silly for it to be taking up
    space like that and decided to get back on and start riding so that maybe I can re-design my gut and
    make my wife happier to look at me... I got the old shoes out and they just plain hurt -- they're
    too small and I need to replace them. I need a new pair of shoes that I can use with my Look system
    pedals. They need to be roomier than what I've found generally in bike shops. Also, I need to
    stretch that footwear dollar because I just bought a house (somebody suggested a $180 (US) pair of
    Sidi shoes but that seems a bit much right now). Does anybody have any suggestions on a good shoe
    for less money?

Also, I'm thinking that I need a somewhat less aggressive gearing than I have right now until I
    start getting back into shape. I really don't want to replace the 13-23 cassette. The chainrings are
    42 and 53 teeth. Would replacing the 42 with a 38 make an appreciable difference?

TIA -spike

Tags:

2. Dashi Toshii

Dashi Toshii Guest

"spike852" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > If this is the wrong forum for this, please accept my apology and redirect
    > me...
    >
    > Years ago, I bought a very nice Raleigh aluminum road bike. For various reasons it has been in
    > severe disuse for quite a while. Recently, I
    decided
    > that it was rather silly for it to be taking up space like that and
    decided
    > to get back on and start riding so that maybe I can re-design my gut and make my wife happier to
    > look at me... I got the old shoes out and they just plain hurt -- they're too small and
    I
    > need to replace them. I need a new pair of shoes that I can use with my Look system pedals. They
    > need to be roomier than what I've found
    generally
    > in bike shops. Also, I need to stretch that footwear dollar because I
    just
    > bought a house (somebody suggested a $180 (US) pair of Sidi shoes but that seems a bit much right
    > now). Does anybody have any suggestions on a good shoe for less money?
    >
    > Also, I'm thinking that I need a somewhat less aggressive gearing than I have right now until I
    > start getting back into shape. I really don't want to replace the 13-23 cassette. The chainrings
    > are 42 and 53 teeth. Would replacing the 42 with a 38 make an appreciable difference?
    >
    > TIA -spike

Shimano makes a Look compatible shoe that is inexpensive and that I have been using for about a
    year.(SPD-R) I find it comfortable and a good value.

Yes it would make a big difference if you change to a 39 tooth chainring, be aware that you may need
    a new front derailer, may being the operative word here.

Dashii

3. Pete Biggs

Pete Biggs Guest

"spike852" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Also, I'm thinking that I need a somewhat less aggressive gearing than I have right now until I
    > start getting back into shape. I really don't
    want
    > to replace the 13-23 cassette. The chainrings are 42 and 53 teeth.
    Would
    > replacing the 42 with a 38 make an appreciable difference?

Not much: not as much difference to the bottom gear as just changing the cassette for a 13-26.
    However, a 38 ring will mean the smaller cogs will be used slightly more of the time - where they'll
    be smaller jumps between the gears.

See: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

~PB

4. Tim McNamara

Tim McNamara Guest

In article <[email protected]>, "spike852"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

> I got the old shoes out and they just plain hurt -- they're too small and I need to replace them.
    > I need a new pair of shoes that I can use with my Look system pedals. They need to be roomier than
    > what I've found generally in bike shops. Also, I need to stretch that footwear dollar because I
    > just bought a house (somebody suggested a $180 (US) pair of Sidi shoes but that seems a bit much
    > right now). Does anybody have any suggestions on a good shoe for less money?

You don't mention your shoe size. If you wear a size 50 (US 14) or larger, or if you have a E width
    foot or wider, you're going to have trouble finding shoes.

Carnacs generally have a larger toe box than most cycling shoes and come in a variety of price
    ranges. Lake shoes tend to be excellent value for money and most come in a wide version.

> start getting back into shape. I really don't want to replace the 13-23 cassette. The chainrings
    > are 42 and 53 teeth. Would replacing the 42 with a 38 make an appreciable difference?

It's faster and easier- and possibly cheaper- to replace the cassette. However, for climbing yes, a
    38 or 39 will be noticeable. Note that a 42 x 24 and a 39 x 23 are about the same gear.

5. John Everett

John Everett Guest

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 20:00:22 GMT, "spike852" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Years ago, I bought a very nice Raleigh aluminum road bike. For various reasons it has been in
    >severe disuse for quite a while. Recently, I decided that it was rather silly for it to be taking
    >up space like that and decided to get back on and start riding so that maybe I can re-design my gut
    >and make my wife happier to look at me... I got the old shoes out and they just plain hurt --
    >they're too small and I need to replace them. I need a new pair of shoes that I can use with my
    >Look system pedals. They need to be roomier than what I've found generally in bike shops. Also, I
    >need to stretch that footwear dollar because I just bought a house (somebody suggested a $180 (US)
    >pair of Sidi shoes but that seems a bit much right now). Does anybody have any suggestions on a
    >good shoe for less money?

Check the Performance web site. They are having a shoe sale just now that includes a pair of Shimano
    road shoes at $27.98. Their store brand models are pretty inexpensive also.

For what it's worth I have a pair of their el cheapo MTB shoes that I use with my MTB and touring
    bike. They've given a few seasons of good value. As a point of comparison I usually ride with Sidi
    Energies but find the Performance brand acceptable for the uses to which I put them.

jeverett3<AT>earthlink<DOT>net http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

6. Spike852

Spike852 Guest

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > In article <[email protected]>, "spike852"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I got the old shoes out and they just plain hurt -- they're too small and I need to replace
    > > them. I need a new pair of shoes that I can use with my Look system pedals. They need to be
    > > roomier than what I've found generally in bike shops. Also, I need to stretch that footwear
    > > dollar because I just bought a house (somebody suggested a $180 (US) pair of Sidi shoes but that
    > > seems a bit much right now). Does anybody have any suggestions on a good shoe for less money?
    >
    > You don't mention your shoe size. If you wear a size 50 (US 14) or larger, or if you have a E
    > width foot or wider, you're going to have trouble finding shoes.
    >

I have a very average-length foot (43). My foot is tall, not wide. It also causes me problems in
    finding anything other than sneakers to fit comfortably. Usually I have to pick something that is
    marginal and suffer until my foot stretches it out.

> > Also, I'm thinking that I need a somewhat less aggressive gearing than I have right now until I
    > > start getting back into shape. I really don't want to replace the 13-23 cassette. The chainrings
    > > are 42 and 53 teeth. Would replacing the 42 with a 38 make an appreciable difference?
    >
    > It's faster and easier- and possibly cheaper- to replace the cassette. However, for climbing yes,
    > a 38 or 39 will be noticeable. Note that a 42 x 24 and a 39 x 23 are about the same gear.
    >
    That's the key -- I live in a fairly hilly area and climbing (which I used to really enjoy, and not
    just for the descents on the other side) is now the thing I dread because of my lack of fitness and
    the fact that the gear ratios are not like those you'd find on a bike at the local mass merchant.
    For the record, it's a 11- or 12-year-old Technium aluminum Raleigh with Shimano 105 components.

thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.