Question about shoes

Spike852

Guest
If this is the wrong forum for this, please accept my apology and redirect
me...

Years ago, I bought a very nice Raleigh aluminum road bike. For various reasons it has been in
severe disuse for quite a while. Recently, I decided that it was rather silly for it to be taking up
space like that and decided to get back on and start riding so that maybe I can re-design my gut and
make my wife happier to look at me... I got the old shoes out and they just plain hurt -- they're
too small and I need to replace them. I need a new pair of shoes that I can use with my Look system
pedals. They need to be roomier than what I've found generally in bike shops. Also, I need to
stretch that footwear dollar because I just bought a house (somebody suggested a $180 (US) pair of
Sidi shoes but that seems a bit much right now). Does anybody have any suggestions on a good shoe
for less money?

Also, I'm thinking that I need a somewhat less aggressive gearing than I have right now until I
start getting back into shape. I really don't want to replace the 13-23 cassette. The chainrings are
42 and 53 teeth. Would replacing the 42 with a 38 make an appreciable difference?

TIA -spike

"spike852" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> If this is the wrong forum for this, please accept my apology and redirect
> me...
>
> Years ago, I bought a very nice Raleigh aluminum road bike. For various reasons it has been in
> severe disuse for quite a while. Recently, I
decided
> that it was rather silly for it to be taking up space like that and
decided
> to get back on and start riding so that maybe I can re-design my gut and make my wife happier to
> look at me... I got the old shoes out and they just plain hurt -- they're too small and
> need to replace them. I need a new pair of shoes that I can use with my Look system pedals. They
> need to be roomier than what I've found
generally
> in bike shops. Also, I need to stretch that footwear dollar because I
just
> bought a house (somebody suggested a $180 (US) pair of Sidi shoes but that seems a bit much right
> now). Does anybody have any suggestions on a good shoe for less money?
>
> Also, I'm thinking that I need a somewhat less aggressive gearing than I have right now until I
> start getting back into shape. I really don't want to replace the 13-23 cassette. The chainrings
> are 42 and 53 teeth. Would replacing the 42 with a 38 make an appreciable difference?
>
> TIA -spike

Shimano makes a Look compatible shoe that is inexpensive and that I have been using for about a
year.(SPD-R) I find it comfortable and a good value.

Yes it would make a big difference if you change to a 39 tooth chainring, be aware that you may need
a new front derailer, may being the operative word here.

Dashii

"spike852" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Also, I'm thinking that I need a somewhat less aggressive gearing than I have right now until I
> start getting back into shape. I really don't
want
> to replace the 13-23 cassette. The chainrings are 42 and 53 teeth.
Would
> replacing the 42 with a 38 make an appreciable difference?

Not much: not as much difference to the bottom gear as just changing the cassette for a 13-26.
However, a 38 ring will mean the smaller cogs will be used slightly more of the time - where they'll
be smaller jumps between the gears.

See: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gears/

~PB

In article <[email protected]>, "spike852"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> I got the old shoes out and they just plain hurt -- they're too small and I need to replace them.
> I need a new pair of shoes that I can use with my Look system pedals. They need to be roomier than
> what I've found generally in bike shops. Also, I need to stretch that footwear dollar because I
> just bought a house (somebody suggested a $180 (US) pair of Sidi shoes but that seems a bit much
> right now). Does anybody have any suggestions on a good shoe for less money?

You don't mention your shoe size. If you wear a size 50 (US 14) or larger, or if you have a E width
foot or wider, you're going to have trouble finding shoes.

Carnacs generally have a larger toe box than most cycling shoes and come in a variety of price
ranges. Lake shoes tend to be excellent value for money and most come in a wide version.

> Also, I'm thinking that I need a somewhat less aggressive gearing than I have right now until I
> start getting back into shape. I really don't want to replace the 13-23 cassette. The chainrings
> are 42 and 53 teeth. Would replacing the 42 with a 38 make an appreciable difference?

It's faster and easier- and possibly cheaper- to replace the cassette. However, for climbing yes, a
38 or 39 will be noticeable. Note that a 42 x 24 and a 39 x 23 are about the same gear.

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 20:00:22 GMT, "spike852" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Years ago, I bought a very nice Raleigh aluminum road bike. For various reasons it has been in
>severe disuse for quite a while. Recently, I decided that it was rather silly for it to be taking
>up space like that and decided to get back on and start riding so that maybe I can re-design my gut
>and make my wife happier to look at me... I got the old shoes out and they just plain hurt --
>they're too small and I need to replace them. I need a new pair of shoes that I can use with my
>Look system pedals. They need to be roomier than what I've found generally in bike shops. Also, I
>need to stretch that footwear dollar because I just bought a house (somebody suggested a $180 (US)
>pair of Sidi shoes but that seems a bit much right now). Does anybody have any suggestions on a
>good shoe for less money?

Check the Performance web site. They are having a shoe sale just now that includes a pair of Shimano
road shoes at $27.98. Their store brand models are pretty inexpensive also.

For what it's worth I have a pair of their el cheapo MTB shoes that I use with my MTB and touring
bike. They've given a few seasons of good value. As a point of comparison I usually ride with Sidi
Energies but find the Performance brand acceptable for the uses to which I put them.

"Tim McNamara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "spike852"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I got the old shoes out and they just plain hurt -- they're too small and I need to replace
> > them. I need a new pair of shoes that I can use with my Look system pedals. They need to be
> > roomier than what I've found generally in bike shops. Also, I need to stretch that footwear
> > dollar because I just bought a house (somebody suggested a $180 (US) pair of Sidi shoes but that
> > seems a bit much right now). Does anybody have any suggestions on a good shoe for less money?
>
> You don't mention your shoe size. If you wear a size 50 (US 14) or larger, or if you have a E
> width foot or wider, you're going to have trouble finding shoes.

I have a very average-length foot (43). My foot is tall, not wide. It also causes me problems in
finding anything other than sneakers to fit comfortably. Usually I have to pick something that is
marginal and suffer until my foot stretches it out.

> > Also, I'm thinking that I need a somewhat less aggressive gearing than I have right now until I
> > start getting back into shape. I really don't want to replace the 13-23 cassette. The chainrings
> > are 42 and 53 teeth. Would replacing the 42 with a 38 make an appreciable difference?
>
> It's faster and easier- and possibly cheaper- to replace the cassette. However, for climbing yes,
> a 38 or 39 will be noticeable. Note that a 42 x 24 and a 39 x 23 are about the same gear.

That's the key -- I live in a fairly hilly area and climbing (which I used to really enjoy, and not
just for the descents on the other side) is now the thing I dread because of my lack of fitness and
the fact that the gear ratios are not like those you'd find on a bike at the local mass merchant.
For the record, it's a 11- or 12-year-old Technium aluminum Raleigh with Shimano 105 components.

thanks.