Question about shorts.

JuneHawk

Aug 15, 2010
I bought my first pair of cycling shorts today. I did go to Sports Authority so I'm sure that didn't help. The chamois forms an enormous camel toe at the front. I'm embarrassed to be seen looking like that. Is this normal or did I just buy crappy shorts? The camel toe is ALLLLL the padding, not me. WTH?

TiA!

I find the bib knicks the most comfortable and make sure you get the ones made for women, otherwise you get more camel toe /img/vbsmilies/smilies/eek.gif

Thanks! I went to a local cycling store and bought some good shorts. No camel toe!

[COLOR= #0000ff]Hi, June.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]The dreaded cameltoe effect is the worst thing I've learned about since I started biking in July; the rest of the biking world has been wonderful!! I have learned 2 very helpful things in looking for solutions online: 1) You can always just wear a pair of regular shorts or capris or pants over them; and 2) They do sell 'baggy' bike shorts that are basically regular shorts sewn ONTO a pair of the spandex ones, effectively hiding the cameltoe. I also found cute biking skorts and wrap-around skirts you can put on when you get off. [/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Oh, and near as I can tell, Sports Authority has nothing to do with it; that complaint is universal, lol.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]Good luck shopping for less revealing attire. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif[/COLOR]

Originally Posted by JuneHawk .

I bought my first pair of cycling shorts today. I did go to Sports Authority so I'm sure that didn't help. The chamois forms an enormous camel toe at the front. I'm embarrassed to be seen looking like that. Is this normal or did I just buy crappy shorts? The camel toe is ALLLLL the padding, not me. WTH?

TiA!

Hi there, the ladies knicks on the Sports Authority website all look a bit NQR. I reckon you'd be better off checking out the ladies range from makers like Nalini, Santini, Louis Garneau etc. Get a pair with a good quality gel chamois.

Originally Posted by seagrave6 .

any pictures!!

I've not seen aerospokes since Chris Boardman used to thrash around England on them as an amateur...
... but not even bananas are that yellow!

Is that a real Softride?

Originally Posted by steve .

Hi there, the ladies knicks on the Sports Authority website all look a bit NQR. I reckon you'd be better off checking out the ladies range from makers like Nalini, Santini, Louis Garneau etc. Get a pair with a good quality gel chamois.

Dare I ask what NQR means? ;)

One of the three "must haves" for me, in cycling is comfy behind.

If you have comfy hands, feet and as$ - due to a good position and well fitting clothing/shoes/saddle then half the battle is won.

To the original poster - go to a bike store with a good selection of womens clothing. From personal experience I like the Pearl Izumi factory outlets - lots of good stuff and reduced price and they seem to have as much womens stuff as they do mens. Don't buy mens shorts... not a good idea. They have womens specific fit for a reason.

They also have women specific saddles for a reason too. ;) For obvious reasons, a women pelvis is a fair bit wider, which means the "sit bones" are wider apart too. If the "sit bones" are not sitting towards to the back of the saddle then the softer, sensitive bits up front get smashed.

Reactions: steve
Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Dare I ask what NQR means? ;)
Not quite right - perhaps its poor photography or image preparation, the way they're presented make me think they are not made very well. Pearl Izumi are another good brand, she could buy those from a bike shop with confidence.