Question about Soy beans?

rolfdevinci

Oct 5, 2003
Are roasted soy beans called soy nuts?

If so do they still retain the "beneficial" stuff after the roasting process, albeit with added salt and oil?

Soy experts please advise.......thanks :D

Don't know about the soy nuts. Do know my brother in law a farmer roasts all the soy beans he grows. It smells great when he does. Feeds them to his diary cows they seem pretty healthy. Should say on the side of the packaging correct. Got to be better than Cheese Its in any case.

Yes, the roasted bean is in its final stage a "soy nut". About all of the beneficial compounds being intact after roasting, I suspect that many of them are changed by the roasting process. But, they have to be better for you than dry roasted peanuts, right?

531Aussie said:
The benefits of soy are under question:

There are several articles on this site which question the virtues of soy
http://www.theomnivore.com/The Soy Page.html
Worth reading up on, but the benefits of everything from sleep to anti-perspirants, vitamins, fish, cooked food, chicken, beef, pork, lamb, wheat, refined sugar, unrefined sugar, regular bathing and circumcision are under fire by someone.

Luckily, with soy, it's an odd minority with concerns. The widespread opinion says soybeans and soy products are a great, versatile, wholesome source of protein. I like them... mmmmm...

...do they still retain the "beneficial" stuff after the roasting process, albeit with added salt and oil?

Soy experts please advise.......thanks
On the other hand, I wouldn't be surprised if roasted soy "nuts" were diminished in nutrients over less processed versions; that's the standard effect where curing, roasting, drying, or whatever is concerned. The question is: diminished when compared to what exactly? Raw beans? Who's eating those? They might be on par with other common soy products, like the curd which makes up tofu, or the processed beans in Clif Bars.

lokstah said:
Worth reading up on, but the benefits of everything from sleep to anti-perspirants.

Yeah, everyone knows sleep gives you cancer :D

This is the first time I've heard of roasted soy nuts and I think there's no such thing because soy needs to be processed first and I know that it can't be roasted and eaten like nuts.

This is the first time I've heard of roasted soy nuts and I think there's no such thing because soy needs to be processed first and I know that it can't be roasted and eaten like nuts.

Me too. It's definitely weird hearing reading about that. Maybe someone else knows about it too.

I know that you are a Filipino so you may probably have heard of the word “balatong” which means pan roasted soy beans. It is usually sold in bean curd or tofu factory which also includes the making of “taho” which is a healthy snack. When we were young, my brother would buy pan roasted soy beans and we eat that while watching tv. It is more delicious than peanuts. And I think that soy bean has a lot of vitamins because it is being advocated by the department of health.

I know that you are a Filipino so you may probably have heard of the word “balatong” which means pan roasted soy beans. It is usually sold in bean curd or tofu factory which also includes the making of “taho” which is a healthy snack. When we were young, my brother would buy pan roasted soy beans and we eat that while watching tv. It is more delicious than peanuts. And I think that soy bean has a lot of vitamins because it is being advocated by the department of health.

Ahh, I remember that's being sold in by nut vendors. It's the one with the hard shell or skin and are bigger than peanuts am I right? Those taste good and has a distinct taste or flavor.

Reactions: Corzhens
Yes, there are soy nuts and they can be roasted or even baked until they're dry and crunchy. They're quite tasty and are actually good sources of fiber and protein.

The benefits of soy in general are kind of questionable. The main issue at hand is that soy contains estrogen-like compounds called isoflavones. There have been studies done that suggest those compounds could promote the growth of certain types of cancers, impair female fertility, and disrupt thyroid function.

I don’t exactly know how seriously we should take these claims, considering many cultures with diets rich in soy (such as the Japanese) don’t seem to exhibit many—if any—of these issues to an irregular degree. I’ve personally been avoiding soy until there is a more definitive verdict.