question about speed of walking

Annabellattheba

Guest
My husband says to lose weight I need to go faster, I say if my heart rate is in my target zone and
I am sweating it is fine. I have had a back injury and don't go over 3.5 mph, I use the incline or
resistance with ellipitcal to work harder and get my heart rate up.

Can somebody clarify if it is the speed of treadmill or ellicpital that helps with weight loss or
the effort?

Thanks. Ann

"Annabellatthebal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My husband says to lose weight I need to go faster, I say if my heart rate
is
> in my target zone and I am sweating it is fine. I have had a back injury
and
> don't go over 3.5 mph, I use the incline or resistance with ellipitcal to
work
> harder and get my heart rate up.
>
> Can somebody clarify if it is the speed of treadmill or ellicpital that
helps
> with weight loss or the effort?
>
> Thanks. Ann

AFAIK, all other things being equal, your calories burned is roughly constant over a given distance.
However, going faster burns the calories faster.

So, assume you do two walks of 3 miles each. One is slower, taking you 1 hour to complete. The other
is faster, requiring only 45 minutes. Both walks would be equivalent in terms of the number of
calories you burn.

Conversely, if you only have a limited amount of time, going faster will burn more calories during
the time you have. But, you probably also increase the risk of injury. Listen to your body, and push
yourself to the extent you can, but be prepared to back off if necessary. If you try to push the
pace but then **** out, that probably would not help you meet your goals.

Best of luck.

--
~_-* ...G/ \G http://www.CycliStats.com CycliStats - Software for Cyclists

"Annabellatthebal" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My husband says to lose weight I need to go faster, I say if my heart rate
is
> in my target zone and I am sweating it is fine. I have had a back injury
and
> don't go over 3.5 mph, I use the incline or resistance with ellipitcal to
work
> harder and get my heart rate up.
>
> Can somebody clarify if it is the speed of treadmill or ellicpital that
helps
> with weight loss or the effort?
>
> Thanks. Ann

Ann, I would say go with your intuition in this matter. Just push yourself as much as you feel
comfortable doing.

DeWayne

"DeWayne" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Annabellatthebal" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:20040213004927.24705.00001813@mb-
> m13.aol.com...
> > My husband says to lose weight I need to go faster, I say if my heart rate
> is
> > in my target zone and I am sweating it is fine. I have had a back injury
> and
> > don't go over 3.5 mph, I use the incline or resistance with ellipitcal to
> work
> > harder and get my heart rate up.
> >
> > Can somebody clarify if it is the speed of treadmill or ellicpital that
> helps
> > with weight loss or the effort?
> >
> > Thanks. Ann
>
> Ann, I would say go with your intuition in this matter. Just push yourself as much as you feel
> comfortable doing.
>
> DeWayne

it depends on your shape and what your trying to accomplish...first off sweating means nothing.if it
did we can all sit in a suana and not exercise and loose weight....unless you walk very fast or are
totaly out of shape walking will burn calories but in no way is it cardio .you can walk till the
cows come home once your used to the speed and you will never hit your target range unless its up a
mountain.so for burning calories walking slow is fine.but you need much more intensity for it to
qualify as cardio