Question About 'Sportive' Cycling Event

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simonb, Feb 20, 2004.

  1. Simonb

    Simonb Guest

    Tags:

  2. Mseries

    Mseries Guest

    Simonb wrote:
    > I'm looking at the event on 22 Feb in Southwick. One question: what is the category 'sportive' is
    > this a race or an Audax-type-thing?
    >
    > http://www.i-team.co.uk/i-team_2004_calendar.htm
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Simon

    They also list Etape du Tour as 'Sportive' so I guess its not a race but subject to checkpoints and
    time limits or as you say an Audax-type-thing. Why not email guywatson

    --
    The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely. http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

  3. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<4033f021[email protected]>...
    > I'm looking at the event on 22 Feb in Southwick. One question: what is the category 'sportive' is
    > this a race or an Audax-type-thing?
    >
    > http://www.i-team.co.uk/i-team_2004_calendar.htm

    Looks as though it's officially a reliability trial. See
    http://www.londoncyclesport.com/news_2004/i_team_rand.html .

    "Reliability Trials are not races but organised rides over a set route and riders finish the event
    within a time frame. Some go fast, as if it's a race, but most just ride and share the fun. At
    sign on you will get a route card. The route is over a mixture of B-roads and lanes with a few
    testing hills."

    Mind you it also says: "The i-Team trophy sponsored by Wheel 2 Wheel cycles which is the 1st round
    of the Reynolds/Lemond Women's road race series."

    So it isn't a race and it is a race. Glad to be able to have cleared that up.
    :)

    --
    Dave...

  4. W K

    W K Guest

    "MSeries" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Simonb wrote:
    > > I'm looking at the event on 22 Feb in Southwick. One question: what is the category 'sportive'
    > > is this a race or an Audax-type-thing?
    > >
    > > http://www.i-team.co.uk/i-team_2004_calendar.htm
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Simon
    >
    > They also list Etape du Tour as 'Sportive' so I guess its not a race but subject to checkpoints
    > and time limits or as you say an Audax-type-thing.

    I had a look at a French audaxy-thing. It seemed that the main difference was that "sportive" had
    their times published and had to have medical certification. (and the touristique the opposide).

    So, perhaps a po-faced audax.

  5. Johnb

    Johnb Guest

    Dave Kahn wrote:

    > "Simonb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > I'm looking at the event on 22 Feb in Southwick. One question: what is the category 'sportive'
    > > is this a race or an Audax-type-thing?
    > >
    > > http://www.i-team.co.uk/i-team_2004_calendar.htm
    >
    > Looks as though it's officially a reliability trial. See
    > http://www.londoncyclesport.com/news_2004/i_team_rand.html .
    >
    > "Reliability Trials are not races but organised rides over a set route and riders finish the event
    > within a time frame. Some go fast, as if it's a race, but most just ride and share the fun. At
    > sign on you will get a route card. The route is over a mixture of B-roads and lanes with a few
    > testing hills."

    i think that will sum up the ride pretty well.

    > Mind you it also says: "The i-Team trophy sponsored by Wheel 2 Wheel cycles which is the 1st round
    > of the Reynolds/Lemond Women's road race series."

    That's a totally different event on 28th March. I'm not sure you would be eligible, but these days
    who can tell....

    > So it isn't a race and it is a race.

    It isn't a race.

    Glad to be able to have cleared that up.
    > :)

    ????Err ;-)

    John B

  6. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    JohnB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Dave Kahn wrote:

    > > Mind you it also says: "The i-Team trophy sponsored by Wheel 2 Wheel cycles which is the 1st
    > > round of the Reynolds/Lemond Women's road race series."
    >
    > That's a totally different event on 28th March.

    Ah, so it is. The fact that that sentence appeared out of context in the middle of the Ronde Van
    Meon page might account for my confusion.

    > I'm not sure you would be eligible, but these days who can tell....

    Confused yes, but not that confused. :)

    --
    Dave...