Question about standover height

janiejones

Jul 8, 2005
I have just built up a new frame (sloping top tube) - the top tube is perfect for reach, saddle position is perfect in relation to where I like to be seated/bottom bracket etc, but the standover height is only about .5cm lower than my inseam - I like the feel of this bike, but I have been reading a lot of "sizing" websites and posts and I'm beginning to get a little paranoid that it is too big - am I making a big deal out of nothing - it feels right - but it doesn't line up with what I'm reading "you must have at least 2-4cm of crotch clearance".

Is standover height as important as all the others aspects I have mentioned?

JJ.

For road riding, I say standover height means absolutely nothing. Unless, of course, you plan on walking around alot while straddling the top tube.

Conversely, for cyclocross and mountain bikes, it's nice to have a buffer zone.

janiejones said:
I have just built up a new frame (sloping top tube) - the top tube is perfect for reach, saddle position is perfect in relation to where I like to be seated/bottom bracket etc, but the standover height is only about .5cm lower than my inseam - I like the feel of this bike, but I have been reading a lot of "sizing" websites and posts and I'm beginning to get a little paranoid that it is too big - am I making a big deal out of nothing - it feels right - but it doesn't line up with what I'm reading "you must have at least 2-4cm of crotch clearance".

Is standover height as important as all the others aspects I have mentioned?

JJ.
It is an unimportant factor, if everything else that you mention is fine. A lot of the bikes these days have longer head tubes, and that actually can raise the standover height.

I agree with Scotty.

On a mountain bike, if you ever have to put a foot down, it will always be on the low side of the trail. At a time like that a little more crotch clearance is good.

Road biking is much more forgiving. When you have to put a foot down just lean the bike over a little more.

Hopefully you're 'testing' the standover with your cycling shoes and shorts on. That makes a big difference. Standing over with street shoes and regular saggy-crotched pants feels much, much different.

Also, 99% of the time you're standing over a road bike, it is tilted. And most of those times, you only have one foot on the ground, the other clipped in (e.g. at a stoplight). Therefore, standover clearance is increased quite a bit under normal circumstances.

Okay why do you think standover height is important?

You advised in another thread, and implied that one would need a good amount of standover clearance ... why?

thomas_cho said:
Okay why do you think standover height is important?

You advised in another thread, and implied that one would need a good amount of standover clearance ... why?
Probably because that's what I have been told by "experts" (magazines, LBS, other threads etc) so I was simply paraphrasing what I have heard - but I have questioning it myself now that I'm learning more, and I'm getting a little confused:eek: .

Standover is the most important measurement in bike fit !

Seat is to Pedals,
as Top Tube is to Ground.

Measure insde leg with both feet flat on the floor, a comfortable distance apart and add 25mm (1") to get the minimum standover. Be careful with compact frames and sloping top tubes, measure reasonably close to the steerer tube, they can be higher than in the published dimensions.

Some will ask why.

Well, the most dangerous moment in cycling is dismounting! We are not all blessed with the same degree of balance and vision. Look at other activites, returning to the earth (ground) is the one that causes the damage, flying, boating, running all do more damage in landing than taking off. The same for cycling.

gclark8 said:
Standover is the most important measurement in bike fit !

Seat is to Pedals,
as Top Tube is to Ground.

Measure insde leg with both feet flat on the floor, a comfortable distance apart and add 25mm (1") to get the minimum standover. Be careful with compact frames and sloping top tubes, measure reasonably close to the steerer tube, they can be higher than in the published dimensions.

Some will ask why.

Well, the most dangerous moment in cycling is dismounting! We are not all blessed with the same degree of balance and vision. Look at other activites, returning to the earth (ground) is the one that causes the damage, flying, boating, running all do more damage in landing than taking off. The same for cycling.
A job for mythbusters?