question about stem

Endorphin

Sep 28, 2004
The handlebars on my road bike give a little resistance when I steer. I tried easing up on the allen bolt on top of the stem, but the bolt becomes loose before the steering is right. When I make the bolt snug then the steering is too tight again. Any suggestion?

Endorphin said:
The handlebars on my road bike give a little resistance when I steer. I tried easing up on the allen bolt on top of the stem, but the bolt becomes loose before the steering is right. When I make the bolt snug then the steering is too tight again. Any suggestion?
It all depends on what type of stem/headset you're using. If it's the Aheadset type, tighten the top bolt VERY gradually until the resistance is gone, then a bit more to make sure, then tighten the clamp bolts around the steerer tube. If it's the traditional type, the top bolt is only there for height/angle adjustment or removing the stem. Your problem there lies with the headset itself. Loosen it slightly. If that doesn't work, it might be dirt. Obviously then take it to bits, clean, regrease and reasemble. Failing that, you have a ****-poor headset manufactured under ****-poor tolerances. Get a new one.:)

also, if you have an older style bearing and race, it's common for the bearings to pit deeply into the race. In fact, I bet this is what it is. The bearings wear holes in the race, so they require a little nudge to get then out to turn the bars. When it gets really bad, it's virtually impossible to ride no hands.

shannons dad said:
It all depends on what type of stem/headset you're using. If it's the Aheadset type, tighten the top bolt VERY gradually until the resistance is gone, then a bit more to make sure, then tighten the clamp bolts around the steerer tube.
Don't you have to loosen the stem to steerer clamp bolts first?? :rolleyes: FYI, www.parktool.com repair section has the drill with pictures for the mentally crippled. ;)

boudreaux said:
Don't you have to loosen the stem to steerer clamp bolts first?? :rolleyes: FYI, www.parktool.com repair section has the drill with pictures for the mentally crippled. ;)
Boudreaux, this has to be your stupidest and most iliterate post yet. What you meant to say was, "Don't you have to loosen the steerer clamp bolts first before the stem cap bolt?" Well, isn't it blatantly obvious that to tighten something, you first have to loosen it? Try to wake up from your hibernation first before posting. DUH!:rolleyes:

shannons dad said:
Boudreaux, this has to be your stupidest and most iliterate post yet. What you meant to say was, "Don't you have to loosen the steerer clamp bolts first before the stem cap bolt?" Well, isn't it blatantly obvious that to tighten something, you first have to loosen it? Try to wake up from your hibernation first before posting. DUH!:rolleyes:
Never seen clamp bolts on a steerer.. :rolleyes:

boudreaux said:
Never seen clamp bolts on a steerer.. :rolleyes:
Do you even know how an ahead system works? Because it appears you don't. Go back to sleep boudreaux, you clearly need it.:rolleyes:

boudreaux said:

Thanks, that worked. At least, if I understand you right. What I did was loosen the bolts on the sides, adjust the one on top, then retightened the ones on the sides.

Now back to our regularly scheduled brawl...