Question about Sunrace hubs

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert Taylor

I recently bought a set of Sunrace JuJu hubs because they have shielded cartridge bearings and
they're reasonably priced. I have just noticed that the axles are made of aluminum rather than steel
and I'm somewhat uneasy about this. Perhaps somebody can answer a couple of questions for me:

1. Do these aluminum axles stand up well in use?

2. Is a steel axle available to replace the aluminum one?

3. Apart from the axle, does anyone know if these hubs are available in a 40 hole version (for the
rear one)?

Thanks, Bob Taylor

[email protected] (Robert Taylor) wrote:

> I recently bought a set of Sunrace JuJu hubs because they have shielded cartridge bearings
> and they're reasonably priced. I have just noticed that the axles are made of aluminum rather
> than steel and I'm somewhat uneasy about this. Perhaps somebody can answer a couple of
> questions for me:
>
> 1. Do these aluminum axles stand up well in use?

They're fine. Because these hubs are not of the primitive cup & cone design, they do not need
adjustment. Therefore the axles do not need to be threaded (external threading dramatically weakens
an axle). The axles are substantially larger in both major diameter and wall thickness compared to
conventional steel axles. I have never seen problems with Sunrace's aluminum front axles, the only
ones I've had occasion to use and observe.

> 3. Apart from the axle, does anyone know if these hubs are available in a 40 hole version (for
> the rear one)?

I have seen high spoke count, sealed bearing Sunrace tandem hubs before, but they were not JuJu hubs
specifically.

Chalo Colina

Status
Not open for further replies.