Question about tights

Discussion in 'Women's Cycling' started by Athnsgirl, Nov 11, 2004.

1. Athnsgirl

Athnsgirl New Member

I just recently got a bike and I already had bike shorts from my spinning classes but as the weather is getting cold I know I need something more than shorts. I've been looking on some websites at tights and it seems as though some come w/ padding and some do not. I'm wondering whether you wear your bike shorts underneath the tights that do not have padding???

Tags:

2. kayakado

kayakado New Member

The weather changes too fast for me. I bought legging and arm coverings so I could remove them or shift them around as I got warmed up.

3. Margaret

Margaret New Member

Yes, you are supposed to wear your bike shorts underneath the tights that don't have padding. I have a pair of Pearl Izumi tights that have the same chamois as the microsensor PI women's shorts, and I really like them -- they have this nice soft brushed fleece-like fabric on the inside, which is warm (but not too warm) and feels better on my lower legs, for some reason, than just the nylon fabric of other tights. Plus I like not having to wear two layers around my mid-section -- where I'm most likely to be all sweaty anyway and need the extra warmth the least!

If you really love your shorts and it's not too cold where you are, the leg warmers suggested by another poster are also great -- and easy to put on and take off as the weather changes or as you warm up.

4. MtnBikerChk

MtnBikerChk New Member

I have those too and I love them - they are so soft and warm :)

btw, if you are making the transition from spinning to riding, please do me a favor - DON'T wear underwear under your shorts :) It sounds silly but you are not supposed to and trust me, it will be much more comfortable (I apologize if you already knew that but no one in MY spinning class does - you can see the underwear line - ew :) )

5. denisegoldberg

denisegoldberg New Member

I have Pearl Izumi tights without a chamois, so I always wear my bike shorts under my tights. I find it's good to have two layers when it's cold enough to wear tights - and if it's a bit warmer out I usually use knee warmers or leg warmers.

I actually have 2 pairs of tights - a pair of "regular" tights (sorry, they're so old I can't remember the name), and a pair of AmFib tights (windblocking front) for when it's really cold out.

6. Athnsgirl

Athnsgirl New Member

Thanks for the responses. I ordered 2 pairs - one with padding and one without. I'm going to try them both on and see which ones I like best.

Oh and no - i don't wear my underwear under my bike shorts. But I appreciate the tip :)

7. RYOUNG

RYOUNG New Member

In the end what did you feel more comfortable in?

8. Aramei

Aramei New Member

My question is on sizing of tights. I am a tall woman 5'8" and the sizing I've found my inseam 31/32 says I should buy a Large...yet the hip and waist sizes seem too large. I am unsure whether I should buy a Med and deal with a bit of "highwater" tights or go with a Large and have baggy tights..LOL :p Also..should I consider mens tights??? as I know inseams are longer.
    Any other Tall women here that can help me with this? I just ordered some Mediums and I guess I will know when I get them if I have the right size. I purchased from Performance Bike.

9. ganderctr

ganderctr New Member

If you can, try some men's tights on. It sounds like you've got narrower hips than is proportional for your legs, so try some men's tights on for size (it'd probably be a medium based on the inseam if I dared to speculate).