Question about tires.

cycling_jedi

Aug 13, 2006
My MTB tires have a size printed on the edge 26 x 1.95

Is the 1.95 the width of the tire on the tread side or the width where the tire meets the rim?

I am looking for slick road tires for my bike on ebay and I see size 26x1.25... will these fit?

Thanks as always,

Sports Authority sells a slick mtb tire cheap. I think they were less than 10 bucks each...had em in stock.

26*1.95

BillM said:
Sports Authority sells a slick mtb tire cheap. I think they were less than 10 bucks each...had em in stock.

26*1.95
thanks for the tip... I will check SA tomorrow...

So the 1.95 does refer to where the tire meets the rim?

don't know. My old tires were that size...so I bought new tires that size.

If youre using 26*something you should be able to swap it for anything from 26*1 to 26*2.25.

Only the fattest tyres are really 26", the rest just get called that so that we know they'll go on the same size rim.

anth said:
If youre using 26*something you should be able to swap it for anything from 26*1 to 26*2.25.

Only the fattest tyres are really 26", the rest just get called that so that we know they'll go on the same size rim.
cool... thanks for the help

26" is the overall wheel diamater, 1.95" is the height from the bead to the top of the tyre at recommended inflation.

Your rim will have in internal width around 19mm, it will take tyres as small as 28mm and as large as 2.5" with a bead seat diameter of 559mm.

26x1.25 slicks will make it fly!! :D