Question about track fork ends

oldvic

Aug 11, 2005
Hello everyone. I have a question that some of you may be able to answer.

I have a road bicycle equipped with a Rohloff hub that I assembled using a Mountaincycle Stumptown cyclocross frame. It works very well, but I intend to get a titanium custom frame to replace the Stumptown which I will then use to assemble a utility bike.

Those of you familiar with internal geared hubs know that some way to stop the hub from rotating backwards is needed. The Rohloff has several ways to do this, but I would like to keep the installation as simple and clean as possible.

The best way to achieve this goal seems to be to use one of their OEM torque plates in a track fork end (the track fork end would also solve the problem of chain tension, letting me do away with a tensioner).

However, every track fork end that I have seen has a slot length of about an inch. In order to fit the Rohloff plate in the slot and have enough room to stretch the chain, I would need a track fork end with about 2 inches of slot length.

My questions are:

- do such track fork ends exist?

- If they don't, would it be difficult to get the custom frame builders to make the longer track fork ends? It doesn't appear (to my ignorant eye, at least) to be especially hard to do.

Any thoughts and information you may have will be greatly appreciated.