Bike Cafe · Public discussion

Question about world class race stage speed

Started by GatorTrek · · Last activity · 2 posts · 1,114 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike Cafe
Published
7 February 2005
Last activity
7 February 2005
Original author
GatorTrek
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,114
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I was wondering what the speed of a world class race stage would be. I know it varies according to terrain, weather, competition, etc. I saw on Velonews that someone won a race stage that wa about 47 miles in 1 hour 32 minutes and 59 seconds. Does my math deceive me or is that about 30.4 mph? I also think I remember reading that Lance's average for the entire TDF last year was over 25 mph. Is that true?

    Also, as you respond, what is your average speed over 30 miles riding by yourslef? I have been riding since the end of October and can average just over 18 mph for 30 miles. It would be better if I didn't have to slow down for so many crossroads!

  2. Yes, that's true. I saw it this morning on cyclingnews.com. It was the first stage in a five day challenge race in Spain. For those who follow the metric system (like myself), that's 82.5km @ 53km/h. Quite incredible really.

    As for the 30 miles, I reckon I'm about the same speed as you. Depends on the nature of the route and wind conditions.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.