Question about ZEFIRO K52 WHEELS

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by kujo666666, Jul 9, 2006.

1. kujo666666

kujo666666 New Member

HELLO,
    I have been shopping on ebay lately and have seen alot of these ZEFIRO K52 wheels for sale.I was wondering if anyone knows any thing about them? the good and the bad? or shall i just stick with gettin the campy eurus?
    thanks

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Go with the Eurus.

3. kujo666666

kujo666666 New Member

4. geoffs

geoffs New Member

or you could get a set of wheels with Campag Record hubs, Velocity Aerohead rims and DT Revolution spokes (14/15 r drive side) built that would only weigh 921r, 749fr.
    That includes the skewers which makes them only a fracxtion heavier than the Euros but they will last a lot longer and you can get them repaired easily.

Cheers

Geoff

5. kujo666666

kujo666666 New Member

were would one get a set of these?

6. Walrus

Walrus New Member

Never heard of Zefiro. Check out www.dirtworks.com.au. I bought their DT Swiss Road Elite wheelset. 1433 grams, very fast hubs, super strong wheel for about $1200. They're hand built, so if you break a spoke, any shop can replace it for $10, rather than some factory wheels which need to be sent back to "the factory". Food for thought.

Campy's a great wheels as well.

7. alienator

Depends. Where are you from?

8. kujo666666

kujo666666 New Member

usa, idaho

9. geoffs

geoffs New Member

Sounds like a great pair of wheels. Are you using these for racing or for everyday?

Cheers

Geoff

10. alienator

These guys are great builders wtih great prices:

Troy Watson at Ligero Wheelworks
    Ergott Wheels
    Mike Garcia at Odds and Endos.

I have a set built by Troy, and they're stellar wheels. They're everyday useable wheels, and as a set they weigh 1380g. The price was muy reasonable.

People at Weight Weenies and RoadBikeReview all give rave reviews of Ligero wheels and Ergott wheels. The Serotta BBS is particularly smitten with Ergott. Mike Garcia's reputation is well known through out the bicycle world, and reputations don't get much better than his.

11. kujo666666

kujo666666 New Member

\

thanks for the help

12. li0scc0

li0scc0 New Member

And just like every other Velocity Aerohead rim I have had would become unrepairable within 1500 miles!
    And would break spokes just like every other non pre-built wheel I have ever had.
    And would come out of true often unlike the Eurus which is bombproof.
    And would be no more repairable than the Eurus which uses Record hubs.

Shall I go on???

13. alienator

Well, then you should find a better builder or take care of your wheels better.

You're kidding, right? A good builder builds wheels that don't bust spokes. Pre-builts are notorious for having uneven tensions. There is absolutely nothing that would make a pre-built superior to a wheel built by a smaller builder.

This laughable. Why exactly would a custom wheelset come out of true often?

So? With a custom builts set, you could get a replacement spoke anywhere. With the Eurus, you need spokes threaded on both ends. And FWIW, DT Swiss, White Industries, and others make hubs that are every bit as good as Record hubs.

Please don't, because you obviously don't know what you're talking about....and if you go on, you'll only make yourself look more stupid.

14. Phill P

Phill P New Member

Alienator, I agree with what your saying there, but that was a bit harsh, we're all friends in here (just with different opinions!) Even the people in here with good technical knowledge sometimes put thier foot in it, but its not a crime.

Eurus s have a great rep. I have a set of Zondas, and at 95-100kg they have been bomb proof, and the hubs as soooo smooth. There are plenty of good pre built wheels out there. If they weren't good then prebuilts would have died long ago. They don't suit some people and hence custom builts still exsist. I'm considering some DA hubs with velocity rims for my next bike (going shimano) but I'm alementing over some fulcrums so as to have some shimano acceptable wheels like my zondas (not going to fit real campy wheels to shimano....)

15. ScienceIsCool

ScienceIsCool New Member

All of this assumes something. That the builder is starting with a rim that is both round and true. If you take the time to measure, you'll see that a lot of rims are quite horrible. And if you don't start with a good rim, you'll never achieve a good build regardless of who is doing the building.

John Swanson
    www.bikephysics.com