question after completing Functional Threshold Power Test

tmctguer

Sep 9, 2003
i just completed a Functional Threshold Power test as described in "Training and Racing with a Power meter" by Allen & Coogan. My watts were 280, so taking 95% of that equals 266 FTP.

i am 50 years old, a recreational cyclist, about 170 lbs (77kg), and ride approx. 75 - 125 miles/week.

are there any off-season workouts i should be focused on to improve my FTP? i see lots of posting about Level 4 rides and 2x20's.......based on what i've read in Allen & Coogan's book, i should be focusing on workouts at about 90% of my FTP, or about 240 watts.

am i on the right track? I would appreciate any feedback on how to spend the next few months on my trainer during the week and on the road on Sat's & Sundays.

i have no desire to race -- only to continue to develop as a good recreational cyclist.

thanks.

I did a recent search myself on this topic and this was the consensus in this forum. Ride SST alot during the "off season", do not go below L3 on your rides. The notion of slow base miles is going by the wayside. Incorporate L4 rides in your schedule with the minimum interval at 20 minutes. Push closer to 100-105 FTP as the "group ride season" begins. Since you probably only ride 6-8 hours a week, you can get away with alot of L4 work.
Have fun

i searched the Allen/Coggan book and thought the following workout might be helpful:

warmup 15 min @ 68% (180 watts)
hard 5 min @ 100% (266 watts)
sub threshold 20 min @ 90% (240 watts)
recovery 15 min @ 56% (149 watts)
sub threshold 20 min @ 90% (240 watts)
recovery 10 min @ 56% (149 watts)

does this sound like I am on the right track?

Sounds good, remember to mix it up though at 88-94% FTP in longer 40+ minutes intervals

tmctguer said:
i just completed a Functional Threshold Power test as described in "Training and Racing with a Power meter" by Allen & Coogan. My watts were 280, so taking 95% of that equals 266 FTP.

i am 50 years old, a recreational cyclist, about 170 lbs (77kg), and ride approx. 75 - 125 miles/week.

are there any off-season workouts i should be focused on to improve my FTP? i see lots of posting about Level 4 rides and 2x20's.......based on what i've read in Allen & Coogan's book, i should be focusing on workouts at about 90% of my FTP, or about 240 watts.

am i on the right track? I would appreciate any feedback on how to spend the next few months on my trainer during the week and on the road on Sat's & Sundays.

i have no desire to race -- only to continue to develop as a good recreational cyclist.

thanks.

Along with the above suggestions, which are all good. Make sure you
also incorporate plenty of cadence work, so that your muscles do not get used to just droning along at 80-90 rpm. If you have 1-2 cadence focused workouts per week, where you do fast pedaling intervals, short bursts, and generally change cadences a ton, that will help when it's time to get back out on the road this spring. Here's a workout that I prescribe quite frequently.
========================
cadence drills--- 35minutes fast warm-up with Cadence in 90-95 range, then do (10) 1 minute on, 1minute off High pedaling cadence efforts. Cadence over 105 for ON, 85 for off. Don’t worry about HR’s, just Cadence.
Then 5minutes easy, and then do (2) 5 minute efforts trying to get HR to 165 and hold there. Keep cadence at 100rpm. Don’t worry about speed. This is about improving your cadence at LT, not about going the fastest... Build it up, so you don’t blow. Rest for 3minutes between each . Finish with 6 more one minute on and off cadence drills- 105 and 85. Cool-down.

Hunter

tmctguer said:

It good to see a 50 y. old cyclist with determination, i am 53 y old MASTER CAT 3 racer.
I purchase 2 winters ago " Hunters Threshold wattage training plans " 300 watts , 320 watts & 340 watts, they help a greate deal . Now i am working my LT daily 1x30' / 45' ,just remenber than the basic 2x 20' are just an exemple you will be better of by doing 1 x 30' or 40' because it take 5' for the body to reache LT ( 2X20' = only 2 X 15' of work out at LT.
To start i would recomende you to give a try to Hunters TH wattage t. plan, it also give you a good base for your own future training plan ;) ,ride hard, Musher

thanks.
It good to see a 50 y. old cyclist with determination, i am a 53 y. old master cat 3 racer
I purchase 2 winters ago "Hunters TH Wattage training plan "(300/320/340 watts),they help me a great deal. Now i am working my LT daily 1 x 30'/ 45' , just remenber than the basic 2x20' are just an exemple you will be better off by doing 1x 30' / 45' because it take 5' to the body to reach LT (2x20'= 2 x 15') of work at LT.
To start i would recomende you to give a try to Hunters plans,it also give you a good base & idears for your own future training plans ;) ,Ride Hard, Musher

Musher: us old guys have to work hard to keep the young whipper snappers in line !!