Bike Cafe · Public discussion

question before I buy this bike

Started by dbackmtg · · Last activity · 4 posts · 594 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Bike Cafe
Published
4 September 2006
Last activity
4 September 2006
Original author
dbackmtg
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
594
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. As I stated in a previous post I bought a new bike and pick it up on Wednesday. It's still not too late to go with the next model up. The upgrades to the next bike are: carbon fiber top tube, down tube and chainstay, 10 spd instead of 9 and shimano R550 wheelset instead of alex dc-19's. the bike is $400 more. Is it worth the extra dough? thank you. the bike is a RALEIGH Supercoarse, the step up is the Competition

  2. what are you using it for?

  3. Glenfiddich_Man said:

    what are you using it for?

    I have my first race this coming weekend. It's just a local race I entered to have fun. I know of about 4 I will do next year, all just local. I ride about 6 days a week. sometimes by myself, with friends or the local velo club very occasionally. Weekday rides are 20 miles or so with weekend rides ranging from 30-50 miles. I'm buying one of these two bikes for more performance. I bought a flat bar road early this year and added tires, rims and various other lighter parts. I don't want to have to do that this time. You'll probably tell me to go for the competition. I just wonder if the upgrades are worth the $400 Am I going to notice better efficency with the added carbon fiber?

  4. I don't think its worth it. If anything in the future just replace the wheels, you will get more gains there then anywhere else. The Shimano wheels are not much better, and to have that extra 400 to spend down the road will be much better.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.