Question - Bike Packaging

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Saint, Jun 5, 2003.

  1. Saint

    Saint Guest

    Hi

    I am presently selling my bike and am having to concentrate on doing this locally as I don't know
    how it can be packaged and sent to other parts of the country.

    Can anyone offer me any advice as to how it can be packaged up and whether there are any off the
    shelf packaging things I can buy.

    Also how can I get it transported? Do Parcelforce do it?

    If I can get this sorted I can stick it on Ebay as this would help me to shift it.

    All help appreciated.

    Saint

    Tags:

  2. Rg

    Rg Guest

    Get down to Halfords - or the LBS - and ask them for a used bike carton (that's the ones that they
    get delivered to the shops containing new bikes) they're usually glad to get rid of them.

    With one or both wheels removed and handlebars turned you should be able to pack the machine
    (wheels either side of the frame) - stuff the space with screwed up newspaper (if you want to be
    ultra safe cut a couple of bits of wood and tape them between the fork dropouts to ensure the
    frame/forks don't get bent)

    Parcelforce are a bit twitchy about the size of a bike carton - I have used www.parcel2go.com loads
    of times - they charge about a tenner for anywhere in the UK (limit is based on weight, not size) -
    easy, just pay online with a credit card and a bloke collects the carton and the buyer gets it
    within 48 hours (although usually 24)

    Good luck

    RG

    "Saint" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi
    >
    > I am presently selling my bike and am having to concentrate on doing this locally as I don't know
    > how it can be packaged and sent to other parts of the country.
    >
    > Can anyone offer me any advice as to how it can be packaged up and whether there are any off the
    > shelf packaging things I can buy.
    >
    > Also how can I get it transported? Do Parcelforce do it?
    >
    > If I can get this sorted I can stick it on Ebay as this would help me to shift it.
    >
    > All help appreciated.
    >
    > Saint

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    > Also how can I get it transported? Do Parcelforce do it?

    They do (and will collect from non-account holders), but check their charges and limitations for
    dimensions and weights.

    I recommend www.parcelflash.com - I've only used them once (for a frame) and their service was
    simpler, cheaper and faster than ParcelForce even though the parcel was actually picked up by
    ParcelForce! Weird! They must just act as agents (perhaps using various couriers?). They have basic
    size & weight limits but you should be able to pay an extra fee for extra.

    ~PB

  4. In message <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
    <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> writes

    >> Also how can I get it transported? Do Parcelforce do it?
    >
    >They do (and will collect from non-account holders), but check their charges and limitations for
    >dimensions and weights.
    >
    >I recommend www.parcelflash.com - I've only used them once (for a frame) and their service was
    >simpler, cheaper and faster than ParcelForce even though the parcel was actually picked up by
    >ParcelForce! Weird! They must just act as agents (perhaps using various couriers?). They have basic
    >size & weight limits but you should be able to pay an extra fee for extra.
    >
    >~PB

    There are a few operators who do this. They have access to negotiated rates with a variety (if not
    all) express companies and can select the best deal for the route, transit time and delivery time
    you require. You can only rely on a few of the largest operators to provide the complete end-to-end
    service themselves and even fewer (DHL, Fedex, UPS, TNT) who can do this internationally.
    --
    Michael MacClancy