Question - Bike Packaging

Saint

Guest
Hi

I am presently selling my bike and am having to concentrate on doing this locally as I don't know
how it can be packaged and sent to other parts of the country.

Can anyone offer me any advice as to how it can be packaged up and whether there are any off the
shelf packaging things I can buy.

Also how can I get it transported? Do Parcelforce do it?

If I can get this sorted I can stick it on Ebay as this would help me to shift it.

All help appreciated.

Saint

Get down to Halfords - or the LBS - and ask them for a used bike carton (that's the ones that they
get delivered to the shops containing new bikes) they're usually glad to get rid of them.

With one or both wheels removed and handlebars turned you should be able to pack the machine
(wheels either side of the frame) - stuff the space with screwed up newspaper (if you want to be
ultra safe cut a couple of bits of wood and tape them between the fork dropouts to ensure the
frame/forks don't get bent)

Parcelforce are a bit twitchy about the size of a bike carton - I have used www.parcel2go.com loads
of times - they charge about a tenner for anywhere in the UK (limit is based on weight, not size) -
easy, just pay online with a credit card and a bloke collects the carton and the buyer gets it
within 48 hours (although usually 24)

Good luck

RG

"Saint" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Hi
>
> I am presently selling my bike and am having to concentrate on doing this locally as I don't know
> how it can be packaged and sent to other parts of the country.
>
> Can anyone offer me any advice as to how it can be packaged up and whether there are any off the
> shelf packaging things I can buy.
>
> Also how can I get it transported? Do Parcelforce do it?
>
> If I can get this sorted I can stick it on Ebay as this would help me to shift it.
>
> All help appreciated.
>
> Saint

> Also how can I get it transported? Do Parcelforce do it?

They do (and will collect from non-account holders), but check their charges and limitations for
dimensions and weights.

I recommend www.parcelflash.com - I've only used them once (for a frame) and their service was
simpler, cheaper and faster than ParcelForce even though the parcel was actually picked up by
ParcelForce! Weird! They must just act as agents (perhaps using various couriers?). They have basic
size & weight limits but you should be able to pay an extra fee for extra.

~PB

In message <[email protected]>, Pete Biggs
<pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> writes

>> Also how can I get it transported? Do Parcelforce do it?
>
>They do (and will collect from non-account holders), but check their charges and limitations for
>dimensions and weights.
>
>I recommend www.parcelflash.com - I've only used them once (for a frame) and their service was
>simpler, cheaper and faster than ParcelForce even though the parcel was actually picked up by
>ParcelForce! Weird! They must just act as agents (perhaps using various couriers?). They have basic
>size & weight limits but you should be able to pay an extra fee for extra.
>
>~PB

There are a few operators who do this. They have access to negotiated rates with a variety (if not
all) express companies and can select the best deal for the route, transit time and delivery time
you require. You can only rely on a few of the largest operators to provide the complete end-to-end
service themselves and even fewer (DHL, Fedex, UPS, TNT) who can do this internationally.
--
Michael MacClancy