Question bout hardtail frame/ Dual crown forks

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Fsjosh, Mar 25, 2003.

  1. Fsjosh

    Fsjosh Guest

    i was just looking at a beefy freeride hardtail frame, and it said warnty would be void if you
    installed a set of dual crown shocks, the frame is just as strong as any full-suspension frame,
    anyone have any ideas why if would void a warranty? only reason i can see it its an excuse for them
    to say its not their problem if anything at all happens to your frame, and nothing really do do w/
    using the dual crown forks? :-s

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    "fsjosh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > i was just looking at a beefy freeride hardtail frame, and it said warnty would be void if you
    > installed a set of dual crown shocks, the frame is just as strong as any full-suspension frame,
    > anyone have any ideas why if would void a warranty? only reason i can see it its an excuse for
    > them to say its not their problem if anything at all happens to your frame, and nothing really do
    > do w/ using the dual crown forks? :-s

    Not all hardtails are built the same...... you should've got something like
    http://www.evilbikes.com/frames.htm , then you could've slapped a Shiver on it if you wanted.

    --
    Slacker

  3. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "fsjosh" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >i was just looking at a beefy freeride hardtail frame, and it said warnty would be void if you
    >installed a set of dual crown shocks, the frame is just as strong as any full-suspension frame,
    >anyone have any ideas why if would void a warranty? only reason i can see it its an excuse for them
    >to say its not their problem if anything at all happens to your frame, and nothing really do do w/
    >using the dual crown forks? :-s

    Nope, there is a difference. On a single crown fork, the forces placed on the headset are limited to
    what the relatively small steer tube can handle. On a triple crown fork, the stresses are
    considerably higher, using the lower race as a fulcrum and the three tubes (two of which are much
    larger and stiffer than a steer tube) to try to wrench the upper race forward on a big hit.

  4. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    fsjosh wrote:
    > i was just looking at a beefy freeride hardtail frame, and it said warnty would be void if you
    > installed a set of dual crown shocks, the frame is just as strong as any full-suspension frame,

    I take it you were there when they carried out all their design work and stress-testing then?

    anyone have any ideas why if would
    > void a warranty?

    Because it's not designed to take dual crown forks? Dual crown forks increase the stress on the head
    tube with increased length, altered angles and added leverage.

    only reason i can see it its an excuse for them to say its
    > not their problem if anything at all happens to your frame,

    Exactly. Because it's not designed to take dual crown forks.

    and nothing
    > really do do w/ using the dual crown forks? :-s

    Are you really that stupid?