Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

Question: Cannondale M1000 crank options

Started by Pat Huber · · Last activity · 2 posts · 967 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
7 August 2003
Last activity
8 August 2003
Original author
Pat Huber
Posts
2
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
967
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–2 of 2
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have acquired a mid-90s M1000 which started life as a mountain bike, but was converted to road use
    (XT shifters, Ultegra crankset (double), cassette & deraileurs street tires). My object is to
    convert it to a "cyclo-cross on steroids" setup and I've put GEAX revert185 tires, XT rear deraileur
    and cassette on. Turns out 39x34 is not low enough for an old (47) man like me. My first thought was
    to go to a road (say, 105) triple crank, and then I noticed that the BB was the triple size. Then I
    saw the reason: obviously the 39 on an inner ring won't clear the chainstay with a double BB.

    So, does anyone out there have experience with a 9-speed compatible crank (road or mountain)
    conversion on an M1000? I'd hate to buy something and find it didn't fit. I'd like to stay with the
    splined Shimano BB, but could change. My first choice would be 30/42/53, but could live with
    24/?/48. I want some tall gears because my typical ride would go up a fireroad or jeep trail and
    then down on pavement. Thanks in advance. -pat

  2. Try a older XTR triple its 22/34/46 and work with the mtn bike frame .If you use a road triple the
    derailer might not have enough throw to shift it .and you would need a wide BB to clear the
    gears.hope this helps I converted a mtn bike to ride on the road in the winter used a suntour pro
    crank set like XTR gearing but had trouble getting it to the granny gear,

    --
    J/O Trailblazer At large !!

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.