Question converting from v-brakes to regular calipers

WildBill_OH

May 18, 2004
I have an '02 Sirrus Elite that I recently had converted to drop bars, 105 brifters and the v-brake converter to adapt my v-brakes to the new shifters.

I'm having problems with the front brakes and have to keep taking in to the shop to get worked on, every time taking time away from actually biking.

My question is, do you think I can just swap normal 105 or ultegra brake calipers on and ditch the whole v-brake business?

Originally posted by WildBill_OH
I have an '02 Sirrus Elite that I recently had converted to drop bars, 105 brifters and the v-brake converter to adapt my v-brakes to the new shifters.

I'm having problems with the front brakes and have to keep taking in to the shop to get worked on, every time taking time away from actually biking.

My question is, do you think I can just swap normal 105 or ultegra brake calipers on and ditch the whole v-brake business?
To use calipers,the fork and seatstay bridge has to be drilled to accept them, and that could just be the beginning of other issues.The v brakes can be swapped for canti brakes which are compatible with road levers but you will need proper cable hangers front and rear. There are V brakes designed to work with road levers.

I talked with my bike shop and they said another option would be to go with the Avid Shortys which sounds like what you were saying in regards to cantilever brakes.

Of course I could replace the fork w/ a carbon fork...then go with normal brakes, but now I'm starting to get to a point where a new bike is a better route. ;)