Question for diabetics.

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by stormer94, Jul 22, 2005.

1. stormer94

stormer94 New Member

A female I work with has type 2 diabetes, is not yet taking insulin. Pretty sedentary lifestyle, must weigh 200 pounds. She says she only eats 1100-1200 calories a day, but manages to not lose weight, and her blood sugar is occaisionally 300+.

Is that possible??? Can diabetes wreck your system so bad that you can't lose weight, or is she living in denial about her calories, and likely putting down 2000-3000 a day on the sly.

Tags:

2. rsheard

rsheard New Member

With her weight and blood sugar level, my guess is that she's in complete denial. I'm not a doctor, but I am a type 2 diabetic also. If her system is simply unable to regulate without insulin, her doctor should put her on it. No doctor would countenance blood sugar levels of 300. Mine freaks out if mine creeps above 115.

Even if she IS only eating 1100-1200 calaries a day (which is doubtful), she's obviously not getting ANY exercise, which has slowed her metabolism.

3. stormer94

stormer94 New Member

I've been reading a bit about it, and that's kind of the conclusion I came to. Nobody ever blames themselves.

4. martin_j001

martin_j001 New Member

Its hard to tell whether or not she's lying, but either way she's not taking care of herself at all. Eating only 11-1200 calories a day would be a pretty strict diet--a caloric defecit every day, so she should be losing weight.

Higher blood sugars usually result in weight loss as well, and there has been some mainstream mention of this in the past few years--stories about teenagers (females especially) allowing their bloodsugars to remain constantly high (in the 250+ mg/dl range) to lose weight quickly.

If a type 2 diabetic has blood sugars that are regularly over a specific level (probably 150--I think most doctors consider it a problem if you test over 135mg/dl fasting), they should definitely be on insulin--no questions asked. The combination of being overweight, sedentary, and having extremely high blood sugars is extremely unhealthy, and will probably contribute to blindness, neuropathy and eventually amputation of limbs--as well as many other unpleasant complications. Hopefully she tries something to make herself healthier.

5. stormer94

stormer94 New Member

Thanks for the replys. :)

I think there is a bit of denial happening...

6. Iankatz

Iankatz New Member

No. Diabetes cannot wreck your system to inhibit it from losing weight. I'd say her problem is the fact that she's sedentary. As for calorie intake, she could very well be taking in only 1000 cal. a day and not see any weight reduction. The body learns to do without. The body wants to stay the same; it's only through real action that change (weight loss) occurs.

P.S. I’m a type one myself,