Question for group

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Thomas Mairs, Jul 24, 2003.

  1. Thomas Mairs

    Thomas Mairs Guest

    Hello people - I found you ( not that you were lost ) I knew that some where on USENET there
    was an NG discussing the tour. I am not a bike rider but I appreciate the effort anyways here
    is my question

    I notice that during the race the riders throwing away their water bottles - Question about how many
    bottles do they go thru? per stage? per the whole tour?

    Tags:

  2. "Thomas Mairs" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello people - I found you ( not that you were lost ) I knew that some
    where
    > on USENET there was an NG discussing the tour. I am not a bike rider but I appreciate the effort
    > anyways here is my question
    >
    > I notice that during the race the riders throwing away their water
    bottles -
    > Question about how many bottles do they go thru? per stage? per the whole tour?

    The water bottles that they drink out of, they keep.

    The ones they throw away are the ones they peed into. I'll guess that since the average stage is 5-6
    hours, they pee twice per stage. Therefore, ~18 mass start stages multiplied by an average of 170
    riders per stage (started with 198, whittled down to 140 some) = ~3000 water bottles that have been
    peed in and thrown away.

    The French fans like the TdF so much that they pick up bottles even if they've been peed in. I guess
    you can just pour it out into the toilet and wash the bottle - pee is sterile right?

    glad to be of help,

    K. Gringioni

  3. Jay Hill

    Jay Hill Guest

    Thomas Mairs wrote:
    > Hello people - I found you ( not that you were lost ) I knew that some where on USENET there was
    > an NG discussing the tour. I am not a bike rider but I appreciate the effort anyways here is my
    > question
    >
    > I notice that during the race the riders throwing away their water bottles - Question about how
    > many bottles do they go thru? per stage? per the whole tour?

    I've seen estimates for this somewhere, amaong tour trivia. Wait till you see the amount of people
    involved in the caravan.

  4. I believe I read last year that each team (9 riders) is issued 1,000 bottles. Of course, most are
    given away to spectators and friends as souvenirs. But they do go through alot of bottles.

    Bob C.

  5. On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 07:18:17 +0000, Thomas Mairs wrote:

    > I notice that during the race the riders throwing away their water bottles - Question about how
    > many bottles do they go thru? per stage? per the whole tour?

    Coca-Cola have a rather Kool WebSite http://www2.coca-cola.com/

    If you look around you will see there is a FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions if you are new)

    I didn't see the answer there, but they have a ~Contact Us~ link too

    This seems to open up a Chat Room but I got no action there.

    However, on that page is a link to a form to contact them for an e-mail response and this is exactly
    what I did.

    They ask your Postal address etc and a valid e-mail address which I gave them

    So if/as/when I get a response, I shall post it in the RBR Usenet newsGroup.
    --
    "We copy only the best programmes; We steal the rest" - Bill Gatez Why be a Wanker when you can be a
    Winner? Load LINUX http://members.rogers.com/worlds2003/linux.html

  6. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "Thomas Mairs" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hello people - I found you ( not that you were lost ) I knew that some
    where
    > on USENET there was an NG discussing the tour. I am not a bike rider but I appreciate the effort
    > anyways here is my question
    >
    > I notice that during the race the riders throwing away their water
    bottles -
    > Question about how many bottles do they go thru? per stage? per the whole tour?

    My guess is: at least one bottle an hour when racing (more when its hot). Multiplied by the number
    of racers, and the number of hours racing.

    Good thing they're souvenirs, 'cause that's a lot of plastic bottles! I wonder if they have a
    special French bidon patrol?

    Mike

  7. Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

    > > I notice that during the race the riders throwing away their water
    > bottles -
    > > Question about how many bottles do they go thru? per stage? per the whole tour?
    >
    > The water bottles that they drink out of, they keep.
    >
    > The ones they throw away are the ones they peed into.

    Unless the riders are drinking their own pee, that's bull! They toss every bottle they empty and are
    just getting new ones from the car.

    chris

  8. DiabloScott

    DiabloScott New Member

    Joined:
    May 15, 2003
    Messages:
    2,284
    Nope Chris - it's a fact. I've got an official bidon full of racer pee that I picked up during the stage to gap - you're welcome to come check it out and even take a swig if you don't believe me.

    Hope this helps.

  9. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > Unless the riders are drinking their own pee, that's bull! They toss every bottle they empty and
    > are just getting new ones from the car.
    >
    > chris

    ...and another one takes the bait...

    Mike

  10. "chris freeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    >
    > > > I notice that during the race the riders throwing away their water
    > > bottles -
    > > > Question about how many bottles do they go thru? per stage? per the
    whole
    > > > tour?
    > >
    > > The water bottles that they drink out of, they keep.
    > >
    > > The ones they throw away are the ones they peed into.
    >
    > Unless the riders are drinking their own pee, that's bull!

    When riders get excessively dehydrated, as they have in this Tour, they will drink pee.

    No big deal, it's sterile.

  11. Michael

    Michael Guest

    It's just too easy.

    M.

    "Mike S." <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > Unless the riders are drinking their own pee, that's bull! They toss
    every
    > > bottle they empty and are just getting new ones from the car.
    > >
    > > chris
    >
    > ...and another one takes the bait...
    >
    > Mike

  12. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    > > > bottles -
    > whole
    > > >
    > > > The water bottles that they drink out of, they keep.
    > > >
    > > > The ones they throw away are the ones they peed into.
    > >
    > > Unless the riders are drinking their own pee, that's bull!
    >

    > When riders get excessively dehydrated, as they have in this Tour, they
    will
    > drink pee.
    >
    > No big deal, it's sterile.

    I thought that you only drank pee when you were going to Africa.

    Mike

  13. Asqui

    Asqui Guest

    Thomas Mairs wrote:
    > Hello people - I found you ( not that you were lost ) I knew that some where on USENET there was
    > an NG discussing the tour. I am not a bike rider but I appreciate the effort anyways here is my
    > question
    >
    > I notice that during the race the riders throwing away their water bottles - Question about how
    > many bottles do they go thru? per stage? per the whole tour?

    And who goes and picks them up when they throw them into shrubs off the side of the road on
    stretches with no spectators in sight?

    Looks like some pretty serious pollution is going on here.

    Dani

  14. "Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 07:18:17 +0000, Thomas Mairs wrote:
    >

    > > I notice that during the race the riders throwing away their water
    bottles -
    > > Question about how many bottles do they go thru? per stage? per the
    whole
    > > tour?
    >
    > Coca-Cola have a rather Kool WebSite http://www2.coca-cola.com/
    >
    > If you look around you will see there is a FAQ (Frequently Asked
    Questions
    > if you are new)

    Don't support Coca-Cola:

    http://portland.indymedia.org/en/2003/07/268629.shtml

    http://www.cokewatch.org/

  15. Dashi Toshii

    Dashi Toshii Guest

    > > > bottles -
    > whole
    > > >
    > > > The water bottles that they drink out of, they keep.
    > > >
    > > > The ones they throw away are the ones they peed into.
    > >
    > > Unless the riders are drinking their own pee, that's bull!
    >

    > When riders get excessively dehydrated, as they have in this Tour, they
    will
    > drink pee.
    >
    > No big deal, it's sterile.

    Kurgan Gringioni AKA Bob Roll!

    Dashii

  16. "Dashi Toshii" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > "chris freeman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...

    > > whole

    > > > Unless the riders are drinking their own pee, that's bull!
    > >

    > > When riders get excessively dehydrated, as they have in this Tour, they
    > will
    > > drink pee.
    > >
    > > No big deal, it's sterile.
    >
    > Kurgan Gringioni AKA Bob Roll!

    shush. you're going to spoil my chances w/ Ms. Gum.

  17. Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

    > The French fans like the TdF so much that they pick up bottles even if they've been peed in. I
    > guess you can just pour it out into the toilet and wash the bottle - pee is sterile right?

    Any racing caps that are thrown away are collected for a similar reason. If you look carefully you
    will see that some riders throw away their helmets at the foot of the last climb since they can't
    wear racing caps any more.

  18. Jayseekay

    Jayseekay Guest

    I noticed all the bottles are of same color. What if the rider makes a mistake and throws away the
    wrong bottle?

    There is also some rumors about some riders recycle their pee for more energy. If caught, they claim
    - accidently threw away the wrong bottle...but, they really meant it!

    > "Thomas Mairs" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Hello people - I found you ( not that you were lost ) I knew that some
    > where
    > > on USENET there was an NG discussing the tour. I am not a bike rider but I appreciate the effort
    > > anyways here is my question
    > >
    > > I notice that during the race the riders throwing away their water
    > bottles -
    > > Question about how many bottles do they go thru? per stage? per the whole tour?
    >

    > The water bottles that they drink out of, they keep.
    >
    > The ones they throw away are the ones they peed into. I'll guess that since the average stage is
    > 5-6 hours, they pee twice per stage. Therefore, ~18 mass start stages multiplied by an average of
    > 170 riders per stage (started with 198, whittled down to 140 some) = ~3000 water bottles that have
    > been peed in and thrown away.
    >
    > The French fans like the TdF so much that they pick up bottles even if they've been peed in. I
    > guess you can just pour it out into the toilet and wash the bottle - pee is sterile right?
    >

    > glad to be of help,
    >

    > K. Gringioni

  19. Dan

    Dan Guest

    > The French fans like the TdF so much that they pick up bottles even if they've been peed in. I
    > guess you can just pour it out into the toilet and wash the bottle - pee is sterile right?

    I heard pee is sterile but I don't believe it. In my rougher years, when I couldn't be bothered to
    find the bathroom, I'd often use one of the previous night's beer bottles (once or twice I found
    myself drinking all the way to my bed) when I had to take a leak.

    Within a week or two, a layer of mold will grow on the top of the liquid. Sometimes it just gets
    cloudy though.

  20. Sam

    Sam Guest

    With ambassadors like this, it is no wonder cyclists in the US are seen as assholes.