Question for Mango Lovers

Sheryl Rosen

Guest
My local supermarket is beginning to adopt everyday low pricing, which I LOVE! for a lot of reasons.
We still have the dreaded card, but some things are just everyday low priced. Mangoes are one such
item. 2/$1, every week. Lemons and Limes, too.

I have been buying mangoes every week. I don't eat mango everyday, but I keep them in the fridge,
once they get ripe, and when I want it, it's there!

I love their fragrance and prefer their taste to peaches or nectarines. While they are similar, I
like the texture of mango better.

I know how to cut and peel a mango. I set the mango on one of its "thin" sides, run the knife down
the equator between the two halves, and when I hit the pit, I turn the knife slightly so it runs
close to the pit. Then I put the mango, pit side down and slice down the other side of the pit.
Finally, I trim down the sides of the mango to release any flesh that's on the edges of the pit.
Then I slice the fruit lengthwise and peel each slice with a knife.

My question is this:

There's always so much flesh left on the pit, no matter how carefully I try to make those cuts. I
hate throwing all that mango-goodness away!

What do other people do?

"Sheryl Rosen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BC5E7657.46D42%[email protected]...
> My local supermarket is beginning to adopt everyday low pricing, which I LOVE! for a lot of
> reasons. We still have the dreaded card, but some
things
> are just everyday low priced. Mangoes are one such item. 2/$1, every
week.
> Lemons and Limes, too.
>
> I have been buying mangoes every week. I don't eat mango everyday, but I keep them in the fridge,
> once they get ripe, and when I want it, it's
there!

> I love their fragrance and prefer their taste to peaches or nectarines. While they are similar, I
> like the texture of mango better.
>
> I know how to cut and peel a mango. I set the mango on one of its "thin" sides, run the knife down
> the equator between the two halves, and when I hit the pit, I turn the knife slightly
so
> it runs close to the pit. Then I put the mango, pit side down and slice down the other side of the
> pit. Finally, I trim down the sides of the
mango
> to release any flesh that's on the edges of the pit. Then I slice the
fruit
> lengthwise and peel each slice with a knife.
>
> My question is this:
>
> There's always so much flesh left on the pit, no matter how carefully I
try
> to make those cuts. I hate throwing all that mango-goodness away!
>
> What do other people do?

Sorry to change the topic, but have you ever tried a mango margarita? Sooooooo tasty! kili

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> My local supermarket is beginning to adopt everyday low pricing, which I LOVE! for a lot of
> reasons. We still have the dreaded card, but some things are just everyday low priced. Mangoes are
> one such item. 2/$1, every week. Lemons and Limes, too.
>
> I have been buying mangoes every week. I don't eat mango everyday, but I keep them in the fridge,
> once they get ripe, and when I want it, it's there!
>
> I love their fragrance and prefer their taste to peaches or nectarines. While they are similar, I
> like the texture of mango better.
>
> I know how to cut and peel a mango. I set the mango on one of its "thin" sides, run the knife down
> the equator between the two halves, and when I hit the pit, I turn the knife slightly so it runs
> close to the pit. Then I put the mango, pit side down and slice down the other side of the pit.
> Finally, I trim down the sides of the mango to release any flesh that's on the edges of the pit.
> Then I slice the fruit lengthwise and peel each slice with a knife.
>
> My question is this:
>
> There's always so much flesh left on the pit, no matter how carefully I try to make those cuts. I
> hate throwing all that mango-goodness away!
>
> What do other people do?

I just sit and stare at it and wonder if there is anyway to get any more of that wonderful stuff
off the pit.

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> There's always so much flesh left on the pit, no matter how carefully I try to make those cuts. I
> hate throwing all that mango-goodness away!
>
> What do other people do?

Gnaw it like a dog on a bone. Not too elegant, but it works.

Then cut the hard covering off the pit and plant it. I've gotten a few trees this way. Few
germinated, but that's ok. The ones that did provided free houseplants. Gave them as gifts. Along
with the avocado plants.

Pastorio

Sheryl Rosen wrote:
> There's always so much flesh left on the pit, no matter how carefully I try to make those cuts. I
> hate throwing all that mango-goodness away!
>
> What do other people do?

You're going about it all wrong. You sit in the shower to eat a mango. Cut it in half, gnaw all the
flesh off the seed, then eat the flesh from the peel. Messy, for sure, but that's why you're doing
it in the shower. Clean-up is just a little soap and water away.

OK, not what you wanted to hear. Just chew the flesh off the seed like you would gnaw meat
from a bone.

BOB

"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
: Sheryl Rosen wrote:
:
: > There's always so much flesh left on the pit, no matter how
carefully I try
: > to make those cuts. I hate throwing all that mango-goodness
away!
: >
: > What do other people do?
:
: Gnaw it like a dog on a bone. Not too elegant, but it works.
:
: Then cut the hard covering off the pit and plant it. I've
gotten a few
: trees this way. Few germinated, but that's ok. The ones that
did
: provided free houseplants. Gave them as gifts. Along with the
avocado
: plants.
:
: Pastorio
: ======

Hey Bob,

I'm having a bit of a problem with my little avocado plant that I started about a year ago... it
starts growing fine... gets up to about 8" tall and had 4 beautiful leaves... then the tip of the
leaves gets black and then starts spreading towards the beginning of the leaf and then falls off.
Then the stalk (too young to call it a trunk <G>) starts getting black and that too starts creeping
downward; meanwhile, at the base, it looks like the beginnings of new leaves starting... ?!

Help, please? Is it asking for a transplant, food? I'm so confused.

--
Cyndi <Remove a "b" to reply

x-no-archive: yes

I scrape at the seed with a knife, collecting the resulting pulp and juice in a bowl. If does leave
a good bit of fiber still on the seed but I get a fair amount of mango goodness out of it. I use it
to make drinks such as mango bellinis.

Naomi D.

In article <BC5E7657.46D42%[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>There's always so much flesh left on the pit, no matter how carefully I try to make those cuts. I
>hate throwing all that mango-goodness away!
>
>What do other people do?

That's what I call a 'cook's treat'. I simply eat it myself, much the way you would eat any fruit
with a pit in the middle. Yes it's a little messy, but worth it!.

--
Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.

To reply, remove the SPAM BLOCK

In article <BC5E7657.46D42%[email protected]>, Sheryl Rosen
<[email protected]> wrote:
> There's always so much flesh left on the pit, no matter how carefully I try to make those cuts. I
> hate throwing all that mango-goodness away! What do other people do?

You need to be TOLD what to do? Silly Girl!! <grin> (Stand over the sink and gnaw and scrape the
flesh through your teeth!)
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 2-19-04 -- Dufus picture posted!

Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> My question is this:
>
> There's always so much flesh left on the pit, no matter how carefully I try to make those cuts. I
> hate throwing all that mango-goodness away!
>
> What do other people do?

Chew on the seed. Delicious, but you get all those stringy bits between your teeth.

gloria p

>Then cut the hard covering off the pit and plant it. I've gotten a few trees this way. Few
>germinated, but that's ok. The ones that did provided free houseplants. Gave them as gifts. Along
>with the avocado plants.

Hmmmm...is it true that it won't germinate if it's been refrigerated? I often heard that about
avocado pits, thought I don't know if it's actually true.
--

"Bob (this one)" wrote:

> Sheryl Rosen wrote:
>
> > There's always so much flesh left on the pit, no matter how carefully I try to make those cuts.
> > I hate throwing all that mango-goodness away!
> >
> > What do other people do?
>
> Gnaw it like a dog on a bone. Not too elegant, but it works.
>
> Then cut the hard covering off the pit and plant it. I've gotten a few trees this way. Few
> germinated, but that's ok. The ones that did provided free houseplants. Gave them as gifts. Along
> with the avocado plants.
>
> Pastorio

They are quite difficult to get to sprout, but make a very pretty plant with long, graceful leaves.

gloria p

On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:08:15 +0000, Sheryl Rosen wrote:

> My local supermarket is beginning to adopt everyday low pricing, which I LOVE! for a lot of
> reasons. We still have the dreaded card, but some things are just everyday low priced. Mangoes are
> one such item. 2/$1, every week. Lemons and Limes, too.

> I know how to cut and peel a mango. I set the mango on one of its "thin" sides, run the knife down
> the equator between the two halves, and when I hit the pit, I turn the knife slightly so it runs
> close to the pit. Then I put the mango, pit side down and slice down the other side of the pit.
> Finally, I trim down the sides of the mango to release any flesh that's on the edges of the pit.
> Then I slice the fruit lengthwise and peel each slice with a knife.

Try this. After you have in in two halves score the mango flesh sorta..checkerboard style.. and push
on the skin side all the flesh jumps out at you and it is really easy to get to.

In article <BC5E7657.46D42%[email protected]>,
Sheryl Rosen <[email protected]> wrote:

> My local supermarket is beginning to adopt everyday low pricing, which I LOVE! for a lot of
> reasons. We still have the dreaded card, but some things are just everyday low priced. Mangoes are
> one such item. 2/$1, every week. Lemons and Limes, too.
>
> I have been buying mangoes every week. I don't eat mango everyday, but I keep them in the fridge,
> once they get ripe, and when I want it, it's there!
>
> I love their fragrance and prefer their taste to peaches or nectarines. While they are similar, I
> like the texture of mango better.
>
> I know how to cut and peel a mango. I set the mango on one of its "thin" sides, run the knife down
> the equator between the two halves, and when I hit the pit, I turn the knife slightly so it runs
> close to the pit. Then I put the mango, pit side down and slice down the other side of the pit.
> Finally, I trim down the sides of the mango to release any flesh that's on the edges of the pit.
> Then I slice the fruit lengthwise and peel each slice with a knife.
>
> My question is this:
>
> There's always so much flesh left on the pit, no matter how carefully I try to make those cuts. I
> hate throwing all that mango-goodness away!
>
> What do other people do?

I scrape the pit with my teeth. ;-)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Sheryl Rosen wrote:
>
> > There's always so much flesh left on the pit, no matter how carefully I try to make those cuts.
> > I hate throwing all that mango-goodness away!
> >
> > What do other people do?
>
> Gnaw it like a dog on a bone. Not too elegant, but it works.
>
> Then cut the hard covering off the pit and plant it. I've gotten a few trees this way. Few
> germinated, but that's ok. The ones that did provided free houseplants. Gave them as gifts. Along
> with the avocado plants.
>
> Pastorio

So that is the secret to getting those darned things to sprout!!!

Will try that this spring, thanks! :)

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

in article [email protected], Melba's
Jammin' at [email protected] wrote on 2/22/04 4:17 PM:

> In article <BC5E7657.46D42%[email protected]>, Sheryl Rosen <[email protected]> wrote:
>> There's always so much flesh left on the pit, no matter how carefully I try to make those cuts. I
>> hate throwing all that mango-goodness away! What do other people do?
>
> You need to be TOLD what to do? Silly Girl!! <grin> (Stand over the sink and gnaw and scrape the
> flesh through your teeth!)

Well, that's what I did!!! I just wondered if there was a more elegant way to do it!!!!

Meanwhile, I found chicken breasts and red and green peppers on sale at the market, and I wanna do
something spicy with chicken, mangoes and rice.

Any ideas anyone???

in article [email protected], nathan at

> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:08:15 +0000, Sheryl Rosen wrote:
>
>> My local supermarket is beginning to adopt everyday low pricing, which I LOVE! for a lot of
>> reasons. We still have the dreaded card, but some things are just everyday low priced. Mangoes
>> are one such item. 2/$1, every week. Lemons and Limes, too.
>
>> I know how to cut and peel a mango. I set the mango on one of its "thin" sides, run the knife
>> down the equator between the two halves, and when I hit the pit, I turn the knife slightly so it
>> runs close to the pit. Then I put the mango, pit side down and slice down the other side of the
>> pit. Finally, I trim down the sides of the mango to release any flesh that's on the edges of the
>> pit. Then I slice the fruit lengthwise and peel each slice with a knife.
>
> Try this. After you have in in two halves score the mango flesh sorta..checkerboard style.. and
> push on the skin side all the flesh jumps out at you and it is really easy to get to.

I do that when I want cubes.

Usually, I want long, fingerlength pieces that I can slurp up with my fingers.

In article <Jy8_b.376539$xy6.1947157@attbi_s02>,
"Rick & Cyndi" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> : Sheryl Rosen wrote:
> :
> : > There's always so much flesh left on the pit, no matter how
> carefully I try
> : > to make those cuts. I hate throwing all that mango-goodness
> away!
> : >
> : > What do other people do?
> :
> : Gnaw it like a dog on a bone. Not too elegant, but it works.
> :
> : Then cut the hard covering off the pit and plant it. I've
> gotten a few
> : trees this way. Few germinated, but that's ok. The ones that
> did
> : provided free houseplants. Gave them as gifts. Along with the
> avocado
> : plants.
> :
> : Pastorio
> : ======
>
> Hey Bob,
>
> I'm having a bit of a problem with my little avocado plant that I started about a year ago... it
> starts growing fine... gets up to about 8" tall and had 4 beautiful leaves... then the tip of
> the leaves gets black and then starts spreading towards the beginning of the leaf and then falls
> off. Then the stalk (too young to call it a trunk <G>) starts getting black and that too starts
> creeping downward; meanwhile, at the base, it looks like the beginnings of new leaves
> starting... ?!
>
> Help, please? Is it asking for a transplant, food? I'm so confused.

Could be salt poisoning... Too much mineral buildup in the soil from the minerals in the water.

Try gently changing the soil and see if that helps?

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

"Sheryl Rosen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BC5E7657.46D42%[email protected]... ...snip...

> My question is this:
>
> There's always so much flesh left on the pit, no matter how carefully I
try
> to make those cuts. I hate throwing all that mango-goodness away!
>
> What do other people do?

We chew on it.

For babes it is the BEST teething ring you can get, they will chomp away for hours and it's too big
to swallow. But take care that junior doesn't get too much at one sitting or their nappy will become
(even more) unpleasant.

David

In article <[email protected]>,
"nathan" <[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:08:15 +0000, Sheryl Rosen wrote:
>
> > My local supermarket is beginning to adopt everyday low pricing, which I LOVE! for a lot of
> > reasons. We still have the dreaded card, but some things are just everyday low priced. Mangoes
> > are one such item. 2/$1, every week. Lemons and Limes, too.
>
> > I know how to cut and peel a mango. I set the mango on one of its "thin" sides, run the knife
> > down the equator between the two halves, and when I hit the pit, I turn the knife slightly so it
> > runs close to the pit. Then I put the mango, pit side down and slice down the other side of the
> > pit. Finally, I trim down the sides of the mango to release any flesh that's on the edges of the
> > pit. Then I slice the fruit lengthwise and peel each slice with a knife.
>
> Try this. After you have in in two halves score the mango flesh sorta..checkerboard style.. and
> push on the skin side all the flesh jumps out at you and it is really easy to get to.

I peel my mango first with a potatoe peeler... prior to removing the flesh from the pit.

K.