Question for Mango Lovers

In article <BC5E977D.46D98%[email protected]>,
Sheryl Rosen <[email protected]> wrote:

> in article [email protected], Melba's Jammin' at
> [email protected] wrote on 2/22/04 4:17 PM:
>
> > In article <BC5E7657.46D42%[email protected]>, Sheryl Rosen <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> There's always so much flesh left on the pit, no matter how carefully I try to make those cuts.
> >> I hate throwing all that mango-goodness away! What do other people do?
> >
> > You need to be TOLD what to do? Silly Girl!! <grin> (Stand over the sink and gnaw and scrape the
> > flesh through your teeth!)
>
> Well, that's what I did!!! I just wondered if there was a more elegant way to do it!!!!

Nope. ;-)

> Meanwhile, I found chicken breasts and red and green peppers on sale at the market, and I wanna do
> something spicy with chicken, mangoes and rice.
>
> Any ideas anyone???

Puree the mango, add some crushed pineapple and minced green onions or shallots. Set aside.

Cook the rice first then toss it into the frying pan with the sliced chicken and peppers and add a
bit of chicken broth, minced garlic, chopped onions and a dash of soy. Cover and stir as needed.

Once the chicken is done and the peppers and onions are wilted, add the mango sauce to it.

Just off the top of my head.......

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

In article <BC5E97D3.46D99%[email protected]>,
Sheryl Rosen <[email protected]> wrote:

> in article [email protected], nathan at [email protected] wrote on
> 2/22/04 5:14 PM:
>
> > On Sun, 22 Feb 2004 20:08:15 +0000, Sheryl Rosen wrote:
> >
> >> My local supermarket is beginning to adopt everyday low pricing, which I LOVE! for a lot of
> >> reasons. We still have the dreaded card, but some things are just everyday low priced. Mangoes
> >> are one such item. 2/$1, every week. Lemons and Limes, too.
> >
> >> I know how to cut and peel a mango. I set the mango on one of its "thin" sides, run the knife
> >> down the equator between the two halves, and when I hit the pit, I turn the knife slightly so
> >> it runs close to the pit. Then I put the mango, pit side down and slice down the other side of
> >> the pit. Finally, I trim down the sides of the mango to release any flesh that's on the edges
> >> of the pit. Then I slice the fruit lengthwise and peel each slice with a knife.
> >
> > Try this. After you have in in two halves score the mango flesh sorta..checkerboard style.. and
> > push on the skin side all the flesh jumps out at you and it is really easy to get to.

> I do that when I want cubes.
>
> Usually, I want long, fingerlength pieces that I can slurp up with my fingers.

Add sour cream. :-d

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

>There's always so much flesh left on the pit, no matter how carefully I try to make those cuts. I
>hate throwing all that mango-goodness away!

Put a towel on your lap and nibble away, Rosie

"Sheryl Rosen" wrote in message

> I know how to cut and peel a mango. I set the mango on one of its "thin" sides, run the knife down
> the equator between the two halves, and when I hit the pit, I turn the knife slightly
so
> it runs close to the pit. Then I put the mango, pit side down and slice down the other side of the
> pit. Finally, I trim down the sides of the
mango
> to release any flesh that's on the edges of the pit. Then I slice the
fruit
> lengthwise and peel each slice with a knife.
>
> My question is this:
>
> There's always so much flesh left on the pit, no matter how carefully I
try
> to make those cuts. I hate throwing all that mango-goodness away!
>
> What do other people do?

An aside to this, or addition if you will. After you eat the meat off the pit, use the pit with a
leetle bit of mango left on as a facial treatment. Rub it all over your clean face. Leave it on for
5 minutes or so. Your face will be soooooooooooooo soft.

Suzan

"Orion" <[email protected]> wrote in news:gEb_b.30088$tM5.2390@fed1read04:

> "Sheryl Rosen" wrote in message
>

>> I know how to cut and peel a mango. I set the mango on one of its "thin" sides, run the knife
>> down the equator between the two halves, and when I hit the pit, I turn the knife slightly
> so
>> it runs close to the pit. Then I put the mango, pit side down and slice down the other side of
>> the pit. Finally, I trim down the sides of the
> mango
>> to release any flesh that's on the edges of the pit. Then I slice the
> fruit
>> lengthwise and peel each slice with a knife.
>>
>> My question is this:
>>
>> There's always so much flesh left on the pit, no matter how carefully I
> try
>> to make those cuts. I hate throwing all that mango-goodness away!
>>
>> What do other people do?
>

> An aside to this, or addition if you will. After you eat the meat off the pit, use the pit with a
> leetle bit of mango left on as a facial treatment. Rub it all over your clean face. Leave it on
> for 5 minutes or so. Your face will be soooooooooooooo soft.
>
> Suzan

And after that, you can get another mango lover to lick it off! No waste. <G

RMiller wrote:

> Put a towel on your lap and nibble away, Rosie

Oh, my!

Best regards, Bob

--
"It's just a jump to the left,
And then a step to the r-i-i-i-i-ight..."

in article gEb_b.30088$tM5.2390@fed1read04, Orion at [email protected] wrote on
2/22/04 7:17 PM:

> An aside to this, or addition if you will. After you eat the meat off the pit, use the pit with a
> leetle bit of mango left on as a facial treatment. Rub it all over your clean face. Leave it on
> for 5 minutes or so. Your face will be soooooooooooooo soft.
>
> Suzan

Now THAT sounds like a plan!!! Thanks for the idea!

Suzan said.........
> > An aside to this, or addition if you will. After you eat the meat off the pit, use the pit with
> > a leetle bit of mango left on as a facial treatment. Rub it all over your clean face. Leave it
> > on for 5 minutes or so. Your face will be soooooooooooooo soft.
> >
> > Suzan

And Wayne Replied.....

> And after that, you can get another mango lover to lick it off! No waste. <G>

To which Suzan responded....

Eggzakitally!

> > "It's just a jump to the left, And then a step to the r-i-i-i-i-ight..."
>
> "Put your hands on your hips......."
>
> --
You bring your knees in tight...........

In article <cRe_b.30116$tM5.12992@fed1read04>, "Orion" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> > > "It's just a jump to the left, And then a step to the r-i-i-i-i-ight..."
> >
> > "Put your hands on your hips......."
> >
> > --
> You bring your knees in tight...........

But it's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane.......

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

"Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> > > "Put your hands on your hips......."
> > >
> > > --
> > You bring your knees in tight...........
> >

> But it's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane.......

ALL TOGETHER NOW.........

Let's do the time warp agaiiiiiiiiin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Peace.

In article <w7f_b.30128$tM5.14963@fed1read04>, "Orion" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> "Katra" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:KatraMungBean-
> [email protected]...

> > > You bring your knees in tight...........
> > >

> > But it's the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane.......
> >
> ALL TOGETHER NOW.........
>
> Let's do the time warp agaiiiiiiiiin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Peace.

Let's do the time warp agaiiiiiiiin!!!!!!!!

<lol>

Time Warp Rocky Horror Picture Show (25 Years Of Absolute Pleasure) Riff Raff: It's astounding Time
is fleeting Madness takes its toll But listen closely Magenta: Not for very much longer Riff Raff:
I've got to keep control I remember doing the time warp Drinking those moments when The blackness
would hit me Riff Raff & Magenta: And the void would be calling All: Let's do the time warp again
Let's do the time warp again Narrator: It's just a jump to the left All: And then a step to the
right Narrator: Put your hands on you hips All: You bring your knees in tight But it's the pelvic
thrust that really drives you insane Let's do the time warp again Let's do the time warp again
Magenta: It's so dreamy Oh fantasy free me So you can't see me, no not at all In another dimension
With voyeuristic intention Well secluded I see all Riff Raff: With a bit of a mind flip Magenta:
You're into the time slip Riff Raff: And nothing can ever be the same Magenta: You've spaced out of
sensation Riff Raff: Like you're under sedation. All: Let's do the time warp again Let's do the
time warp again Columbia: Well I was walking down the street just having a think When a snake of a
guy gave me an evil wink He shook-a me up, He took me by surprise He had a pick up truck and the
devil's eyes He stared at me and I felt a change Time meant nothing, never would again All: Let's
do the time warp again Let's do the time warp again Narrator: It's just a jump to the left All: And
then a step to the right Narrator: Put your hands on your hips All: You bring your knees in tight
But it's the pelvic thrust That really drives you insane Let's do the time warp again Let's do the
time warp again

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

>,,<Cat's Haven Hobby Farm>,,<Katra at centurytel dot net>,,<

> Time Warp Rocky Horror Picture Show (25 Years Of Absolute Pleasure) Riff Raff: It's astounding
> Time is fleeting Madness takes its toll But listen closely Magenta: Not for very much longer Riff
> Raff: I've got to keep control I remember doing the time warp Drinking those moments when The
> blackness would hit me Riff Raff & Magenta: And the void would be calling All: Let's do the time
> warp again Let's do the time warp again Narrator: It's just a jump to the left All: And then a
> step to the right Narrator: Put your hands on you hips All: You bring your knees in tight But it's
> the pelvic thrust that really drives you insane Let's do the time warp again Let's do the time
> warp again Magenta: It's so dreamy Oh fantasy free me So you can't see me, no not at all In
> another dimension With voyeuristic intention Well secluded I see all Riff Raff: With a bit of a
> mind flip Magenta: You're into the time slip Riff Raff: And nothing can ever be the same Magenta:
> You've spaced out of sensation Riff Raff: Like you're under sedation. All: Let's do the time warp
> again Let's do the time warp again Columbia: Well I was walking down the street just having a
> think When a snake of a guy gave me an evil wink He shook-a me up, He took me by surprise He had a
> pick up truck and the devil's eyes He stared at me and I felt a change Time meant nothing, never
> would again All: Let's do the time warp again Let's do the time warp again Narrator: It's just a
> jump to the left All: And then a step to the right Narrator: Put your hands on your hips All: You
> bring your knees in tight But it's the pelvic thrust That really drives you insane Let's do the
> time warp again Let's do the time warp again

Good night, Katra!

in article BC5E977D.46D98%[email protected], Sheryl Rosen at

> in article [email protected], Melba's Jammin' at
> [email protected] wrote on 2/22/04 4:17 PM:
>
>> In article <BC5E7657.46D42%[email protected]>, Sheryl Rosen <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> There's always so much flesh left on the pit, no matter how carefully I try to make those cuts.
>>> I hate throwing all that mango-goodness away! What do other people do?
>>
>> You need to be TOLD what to do? Silly Girl!! <grin> (Stand over the sink and gnaw and scrape the
>> flesh through your teeth!)
>
> Well, that's what I did!!! I just wondered if there was a more elegant way to do it!!!!
>
> Meanwhile, I found chicken breasts and red and green peppers on sale at the market, and I wanna do
> something spicy with chicken, mangoes and rice.
>
> Any ideas anyone???

Well, I made it up as I went along...here is what I made for dinner.

I must add, that this mango was about a day or 2 away from being luscious, which was disappointing.
I made a mistake at the market, I thought I had a ripe one in the fridge, turned out, I didn't.

But here it is, and it was pretty tasty, if I do say so myself. If the mango had been ripe, it would
have been unbelievable.

This made enough for 3 portions.

2 Chicken breasts, cut into large chunks Mojo marinade (or combine lime juice, garlic, salt and
pepper) ground cumin ground chipotle mexican oregano cilantro 4 cloves of garlic, chopped 1 mango,
diced 1 small onion, diced 1 small green pepper, cut into chunks 1 can tomato sauce (8 oz size)
olive oil Juice of one lime 1 cup frozen peas 1 cup chicken stock

Arrange chicken chunks in a dish and add mojo marinade and let it sit for at least 30 minutes. Turn
it to coat evenly and turn it occasionally.

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet and add the onions and peppers. Saute until softened, and add
the garlic, and let that cook until soft but not brown.

Add the chicken, marinade and all, to the skillet and let the chicken begin to brown, turning
frequently. Add cumin, chipotle, oregano and cilantro to taste. Add the tomato sauce, lime juice and
broth. Stir in the peas and the mango chunks.

Bring to a boil and simmer about 10 minutes.

Serve over rice.

In article <Tgf_b.30131$tM5.27447@fed1read04>, "Orion" <[email protected]>
wrote:

<snipped lyrics>

> > All: You bring your knees in tight But it's the pelvic thrust That really drives you insane
> > Let's do the time warp again Let's do the time warp again
>
> Good night, Katra!

I Cheated. Found a website with it on there. ;-)

http://www.lyricsxp.com/lyrics/t/time_warp_rocky_horror_picture_show.html

K.

--

Donna Rose wrote:

>>Then cut the hard covering off the pit and plant it. I've gotten a few trees this way. Few
>>germinated, but that's ok. The ones that did provided free houseplants. Gave them as gifts. Along
>>with the avocado plants.
>>
> Hmmmm...is it true that it won't germinate if it's been refrigerated? I often heard that about
> avocado pits, thought I don't know if it's actually true.

Dunno. Mangos germinate about 20% of the time, avocados maybe 60%. I plant them in a well-draining
soil in a pot with a hole in the bottom. I keep a clear plastic tray under the pots for excess water
to run out. Water when the surface is dry, every 3 to 5 days or so in the winter, more often in
summer when I put them outside.

The soil mix is the same one I use for my bonsai. 20% peat moss, 40% washed sand (put in a strainer
and run water through it to get the really fine granules out), 20% crushed granite (also called
chicken grit - 1/4" size granules, also rinsed) and 20% screened soil. The granite isn't necessary
and can be replaced with small gravel or nothing at all. I feed the plants once a month in winter
and every two weeks in summer. Keep them pruned.

Pastorio

"Orion" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> "Sheryl Rosen" wrote in message

(snip)

> An aside to this, or addition if you will. After you eat the meat off
the
> pit, use the pit with a leetle bit of mango left on as a facial treatment. Rub it all over your
> clean face. Leave it on for 5 minutes or so. Your face will be soooooooooooooo soft.
>
> Suzan

Unless you're allergic to mango and then with the itchy, red bumps all over your face, you wouldn't
feel so soft! LOL kili

P.S. I think Mango is related to poison oak????!!!!???? Many many people I know are allergic to it.

"kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:hTl_b.2125

> P.S. I think Mango is related to poison oak????!!!!???? Many many people
> know are allergic to it.

My daughter has a friend who is allergic to peanuts. One day this girl was over playing. I had a
couple of nice mangoes, and thought I might cut one up for the girls' snack. Then at the last
minute, I selfishly decided to save the mango for my own family (figuring that some might go to
waste if the visitor didn't like it, and I'd just end up serving something else anyway). So I served
grapes as the playdate snack.

When the girl's mom came to pick her up, I asked whether her daughter liked mangoes (for future
reference). The mom looked absolutely horrified, and told me that in addition to peanuts, the girl
is allergic to cashews. The doctor told them that mangoes and pistachios are related to cashews and
must also be avoided. But the mom hadn't mentioned it to me because she figured nobody really eats
foods like mangoes, pistachios and cashews at home, so they wouldn't be feeding them to 3-year-
olds. Auugh!

We keep a huge bag of pistachios in our freezer, and our kids love 'em. We buy mangoes often when
they're on sale, and our kids love 'em. It's rare that we buy cashews, but our kids like them, too.
We eat a lot of nuts in general. I don't often serve nuts to other people's kids, but it never would
have occurred to me that mangoes would fall under the evil allergen heading. So that mom and I both
leearned something that day...luckily, we didn't learn the hard way.

And I think these foods are related to poison ivy as well.

"kilikini" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Orion" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:gEb_b.30088$tM5.2390@fed1read04...
> >
> > "Sheryl Rosen" wrote in message
> >

> (snip)
>

> > An aside to this, or addition if you will. After you eat the meat off
> the
> > pit, use the pit with a leetle bit of mango left on as a facial
treatment.
> > Rub it all over your clean face. Leave it on for 5 minutes or so. Your face will be
> > soooooooooooooo soft.
> >
> > Suzan
> >

> Unless you're allergic to mango and then with the itchy, red bumps all
over
> your face, you wouldn't feel so soft! LOL kili
>
> P.S. I think Mango is related to poison oak????!!!!???? Many many people
> know are allergic to it.

yes, Kili, if you are allergic to mangoes, peanuts, strawberries or anything else, don't use it as a
facial treatment.

Snoozin