Question for NewBalance users...

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Cipher, Sep 14, 2003.

  1. Cipher

    Cipher Guest

    I've posted this in a couple forums, but only got a couple of answers...

    I'm looking into replacing my NB 830 shoes. The 830 shoes have been fine for my Tempo runs up to
    10K, but anything longer than that, my upper outside area of my calf starts to hurt on both legs
    (much worse on my right leg). My stats (height 5'8", weight 142lbs). My NB 830s and older NB 750s
    heels are worn on the outside corners and the forefoot is worn down the middle. I suspect that these
    cushioning shoes do not have enough stability and that may be causing my problems after 10K.
    Anyways, I went to the New Balance site and tried their shoe recommender and they come up with 4
    models. They are the M1220S, M1040BS, M991GL and the M879NS. The problem is that nobody in town
    carries them, so I can't try them out. My question is for those of you who have worn the NB830 and
    NB750, which of the 4 recommended shoes has the most flexible forefoot when compared to my old
    shoes. I want to order a pair online and reduce the number of times I'll have to return them if
    they're not right for me. By the way, I can only wear NB because I need shoes with 2E width. Thanks.
     
    Tags:


  2. Joe Positive

    Joe Positive Guest

    On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 21:19:00 -0500, "Cipher" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Anyways, I went to the New Balance site and tried their shoe recommender and they come up with 4
    >models. They are the M1220S, M1040BS, M991GL and the M879NS. The problem is that nobody in town
    >carries them, so I can't try them out. My question is for those of you who have worn the NB830
    >and NB750, which of the 4 recommended shoes has the most flexible forefoot when compared to my
    >old shoes.

    I can't specifically address the forefoot-flexibility issue, but I highly recommend the 879s. Like
    you, I wear 830s for shorter runs but I love my 879s for longer runs. I even wear them for track
    workouts and racing. I am a midfoot-striker so I would imagine that 879s qualify as having a
    flexible forefoot. Good luck with your search.

    Karen
     
  3. On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 21:19:00 -0500, Cipher wrote:

    >I've posted this in a couple forums, but only got a couple of answers...
    >
    >I'm looking into replacing my NB 830 shoes. The 830 shoes have been fine for my Tempo runs up to
    >10K, but anything longer than that, my upper outside area of my calf starts to hurt on both legs
    >(much worse on my right leg). My stats (height 5'8", weight 142lbs). My NB 830s and older NB 750s
    >heels are worn on the outside corners and the forefoot is worn down the middle. I suspect that
    >these cushioning shoes do not have enough stability and that may be causing my problems after
    >10K. Anyways, I went to the New Balance site and tried their shoe recommender and they come up
    >with 4 models. They are the M1220S, M1040BS, M991GL and the M879NS. The problem is that nobody in
    >town carries them, so I can't try them out. My question is for those of you who have worn the
    >NB830 and NB750, which of the 4 recommended shoes has the most flexible forefoot when compared to
    >my old shoes. I want to order a pair online and reduce the number of times I'll have to return
    >them if they're not right for me. By the way, I can only wear NB because I need shoes with 2E
    >width. Thanks.
    >
    Can't tell you about the 4. I've used the 830s (too skimpy for a fat guy) and the 879s (one of my
    current regular shoes). The 879s have a little more cusion and are heftier than the 830/831s so they
    may feel a little less flexible. It's a trade off. BTW, Asics now has wide/extra wide widths (I use
    Asics Cumulus 4Es) but they don't seem as flexible as the 879s, to me anyway. If you are ordering
    your shoes online, many of the bigger stores will take returns.

    Good luck, Layne

    -------------------------------------------------------
    The rec.running report archives may be found at http://kinder.cis.unf.edu/rec.running
     
  4. "Cipher" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > My NB 830s and older NB 750s heels are worn on the outside corners and the forefoot is worn down
    > the middle. I suspect that these cushioning shoes do not have enough stability and that may be
    > causing my problems after 10K.

    830s offer virtually no 'stability' - they're lightweight trainers. If stability is what you're
    looking for, the 830s are pretty much at the other end of the spectrum than what you're looking
    at, I'd say.

    Can't help you with the biomechanical stuff... Actually, I'd recommend you to put half a day into
    going to a really good running store (out of town if needs be) and have a gait analysis and have
    them recommend shoes (and of course, try them on). I think you should look beyond just NB
    recommendations.

    good luck, nina
     
  5. Chris Smith

    Chris Smith Guest

    > 830s offer virtually no 'stability' - they're lightweight trainers. If stability is what you're
    > looking for, the 830s are pretty much at the other end of the spectrum than what you're looking
    > at, I'd say.

    I can't offer lengthy experience in the shoes being discussed, but FWIW, I recently got a pair of
    NB831s for shorter races, and discovered through a few training runs that they don't really do well
    for my feet at anything over 6-8 miles. I need my more cushioned NB763s or something like that for
    long runs. chris
     
  6. Cipher

    Cipher Guest

    Asife from New Balance and Asics, does anyone else make wide shoes? My local shop said that only New
    Balance had shoes in 2E or wider.

    "Layne Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 7 Apr 2003 21:19:00 -0500, Cipher wrote:
    >
    > >I've posted this in a couple forums, but only got a couple of answers...
    > >
    > >I'm looking into replacing my NB 830 shoes. The 830 shoes have been fine
    for
    > >my Tempo runs up to 10K, but anything longer than that, my upper outside area of my calf starts
    > >to hurt on both legs (much worse on my right leg).
    My
    > >stats (height 5'8", weight 142lbs). My NB 830s and older NB 750s heels
    are
    > >worn on the outside corners and the forefoot is worn down the middle. I suspect that these
    > >cushioning shoes do not have enough stability and that may be causing my problems after 10K.
    > >Anyways, I went to the New Balance site and tried their shoe recommender and they come up with 4
    > >models.
    They
    > >are the M1220S, M1040BS, M991GL and the M879NS. The problem is that
    nobody
    > >in town carries them, so I can't try them out. My question is for those
    of
    > >you who have worn the NB830 and NB750, which of the 4 recommended shoes
    has
    > >the most flexible forefoot when compared to my old shoes. I want to order
    a
    > >pair online and reduce the number of times I'll have to return them if they're not right for me.
    > >By the way, I can only wear NB because I need shoes with 2E width. Thanks.
    > >
    > Can't tell you about the 4. I've used the 830s (too skimpy for a fat guy)
    and
    > the 879s (one of my current regular shoes). The 879s have a little more cusion and are heftier
    > than the 830/831s so they may feel a little less flexible. It's a trade off. BTW, Asics now has
    > wide/extra wide widths (I
    use
    > Asics Cumulus 4Es) but they don't seem as flexible as the 879s, to me
    anyway.
    > If you are ordering your shoes online, many of the bigger stores will take returns.
    >
    > Good luck, Layne
    >
    >
    >
    > -------------------------------------------------------
    > The rec.running report archives may be found at
    http://kinder.cis.unf.edu/rec.running
     
  7. "Chris Smith" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > I can't offer lengthy experience in the shoes being discussed, but FWIW, I
    recently
    > got a pair of NB831s for shorter races, and discovered through a few training
    runs
    > that they don't really do well for my feet at anything over 6-8 miles. I need my
    more
    > cushioned NB763s or something like that for long runs.

    I think it's really a YMMV thing. I've been running in 830s for, uh, 1.5 years or so total and I do
    everything in them, races, LSDs, trails, etc. I love them, but I can see why others would hate them.

    Which is why I think it's kinda futile to discuss the pros and cons of the 830s - it's all about the
    original poster finding their Perfect Shoe [TM]. :)

    cheers, nina
     
  8. Chris Smith

    Chris Smith Guest

    nina stoessinger wrote:

    > I think it's really a YMMV thing. I've been running in 830s for, uh, 1.5 years or so total and I
    > do everything in them, races, LSDs, trails, etc. I love them, but I can see why others would
    > hate them.

    Of course you are right. I don't really hate them at all. In fact, I was surprised and mildly
    disappointed when I felt sore after doing a trail run and a 10-miler on country roads in the 831s,
    particularly because at any given moment I feel lighter and positively "faster" in those shoes than
    in the 76x models. Maybe I just need a little adjustment period to the shoes, I sure would like to
    use them more often. Thanks.
     
  9. Cipher

    Cipher Guest

    What sort of pains did you get after doing longer runs? I also like the 830s because they're so
    light and they seem okay until I go over 6 miles when things suddenly start hurting.

    "Chris Smith" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > nina stoessinger wrote:
    >
    > > I think it's really a YMMV thing. I've been running in 830s for, uh, 1.5
    years or
    > > so total and I do everything in them, races, LSDs, trails, etc. I love
    them, but I
    > > can see why others would hate them.
    >
    > Of course you are right. I don't really hate them at all. In fact, I was
    surprised and
    > mildly disappointed when I felt sore after doing a trail run and a
    10-miler on country
    > roads in the 831s, particularly because at any given moment I feel lighter
    and
    > positively "faster" in those shoes than in the 76x models. Maybe I just
    need a little
    > adjustment period to the shoes, I sure would like to use them more often.
    Thanks.
     
  10. On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 02:37:26 UTC, "Cipher" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Asife from New Balance and Asics, does anyone else make wide shoes? My local shop said that only
    > New Balance had shoes in 2E or wider.
    >

    Brooks does. I buy Beasts in 4E

    --
    ___________________________

    Charlie Schwartz
     
  11. On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 21:37:26 -0500, Cipher wrote:

    >Asife from New Balance and Asics, does anyone else make wide shoes? My local shop said that only
    >New Balance had shoes in 2E or wider.
    >
    For us folks with hound dog feet, we *need* those extra widths. As mentioned Brooks and Nike (and
    Saucony, Adidas, and Reebok) have wider widths in some styles.

    Layne

    -------------------------------------------------------
    The rec.running report archives may be found at http://kinder.cis.unf.edu/rec.running
     
Loading...
Loading...