Question for RBR Historian

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Bruce Johnston, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. How many Top Pros have graced RBR besides Andy Hampsten and who are they? We know Carl Sundquist is
    a regular. I have a followup question. Instead of another post I can attach it here. How many riders
    have finished all three big tours in the same year besides Marino Lejarreta - Spain (Once) and not
    sure if Indurain finished all three in the same year, I know he at least did the Giro and TDF. He
    did the Vuelta of course but I can't remember if he finished all three in the same year like
    Lejarreta.

    B-

    Tags:

  2. "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > How many Top Pros have graced RBR besides Andy Hampsten and who are they? We know Carl Sundquist
    > is a regular. I have a followup question. Instead of another post I can attach it here. How many
    > riders have finished all three big tours in the same year besides Marino Lejarreta - Spain (Once)
    > and not sure if Indurain finished all three in the same year, I know he at least did the Giro and
    > TDF. He did the Vuelta of course but I can't remember if he finished all three in the same year
    > like Lejarreta.
    >
    > B-

    Johnny L. and J-Me Carney post sometimes. Horseteefus used to post also... not sure he counts though
    ;) Isn't J. Waddell semi-pro? Or is he just a bad-ass Cat. 1?

    - Boyd S.

  3. "h squared" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Bruce Johnston wrote:
    > > How many riders have finished all three big tours in the same year besides Marino Lejarreta -
    > > Spain (Once)
    >
    > the bottom of this page has info about that
    > http://www.angelfire.com/realm/cvccbikers/tour/eddy/tourrec.htm

    Thanks,

    Good grief, Lejarreta did it four times! That is like Heather doing the STP 4 times. Bernardo Ruiz
    (3 times) Eduardo Chozas (2 times) and the rest, looks like 21 riders did it one time each.

  4. Nick Burns

    Nick Burns Guest

    "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Johnny L. and J-Me Carney post sometimes. Horseteefus used to post also... not sure he counts
    > though ;) Isn't J. Waddell semi-pro? Or is he just a bad-ass Cat. 1?
    >
    > - Boyd S.

    He said "Top..."

    So, none really. Er, wait...didn't Frankie come 'round here some time back? I think he did. Scott
    McKinley is around once in a while, if "Euro experience" means anything.

  5. Trg

    Trg Guest

    I think that Fabrizio Mäzzoleni does a pretty good job of representing the professional
    ranks in RBR.

    "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de news:[email protected]...
    > How many Top Pros have graced RBR besides Andy Hampsten and who are they?
    We
    > know Carl Sundquist is a regular. I have a followup question. Instead of another post I can attach
    > it here. How many riders have finished all three big tours in the same year besides Marino
    > Lejarreta - Spain (Once) and not sure if Indurain finished all three in the same year, I know he
    > at least
    did
    > the Giro and TDF. He did the Vuelta of course but I can't remember if he finished all three in the
    > same year like Lejarreta.
    >
    > B-

    ---

  6. "Nick Burns" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Boyd Speerschneider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > > Johnny L. and J-Me Carney post sometimes. Horseteefus used to post also... not sure he counts
    > > though ;) Isn't J. Waddell semi-pro? Or is he just a bad-ass Cat. 1?
    > >
    > > - Boyd S.
    >
    > He said "Top..."
    >
    > So, none really. Er, wait...didn't Frankie come 'round here some time
    back?
    > I think he did. Scott McKinley is around once in a while, if "Euro experience" means anything.

    Well then why not? Let's assume that there are a decent number of Pros who have heard of RBR in
    passing. Why wouldn't they post here ocasionally? Can it be that like Andy if the RBR rumor is
    true, that they don't want to take risk of getting trashed by an idiot. What was the rumor? That
    Andy posted about a sports jacket and someone trashed him. If that's true, then maybe that's it for
    the most part. They won't lower their celebrity status to chat even with the RBR Gods? Can you
    imagine the dogpile that would ensue if a real Pro like Lance posted here or even a older Pro like
    Davis Phinney? Obviously they think they have better things to do then mucking around in RBR but if
    they did that would raise the profile and status of RBR. Wonder if any Pros have frequented the
    cycling forums?

    B-

  7. "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > Obviously they think they have better things to do then mucking around in RBR but if they did that
    > would raise the profile and status of RBR.

    Is that important?

  8. "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > How many Top Pros have graced RBR besides Andy Hampsten and who are they?

    Some read it for entertainment.

    If any of them post they don't do it under their own name (other than those you mention).

  9. "Kurgan Gringioni" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > How many Top Pros have graced RBR besides Andy Hampsten and who are
    they?

    > Some read it for entertainment.
    >
    > If any of them post they don't do it under their own name (other than
    those
    > you mention).

    Ah... Then some Pros might be just readers and not posting. They want to see if their name comes up,
    how often and what is being said about them, good or bad. Some Pros might not get much mention in
    bike mags but they can follow up here to get a better since of what folks think, as opposed to just
    what the cycling websites are posting. Good idea I guess, but I wonder how many Pros find RBR that
    entertaining if at all? Does it matter? No, but I bet a lot of RBR regulars would be interested to
    know how many Pros are reading RBR worldwide. Again, it's impossible to know.

  10. Bruce Johnston <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Well then why not? Let's assume that there are a decent number of Pros who have heard of RBR in
    > passing. Why wouldn't they post here ocasionally? Can it be that like Andy if the RBR rumor is
    > true, that they don't want to take risk of getting trashed by an idiot. What was the rumor? That
    > Andy posted about a sports jacket and someone trashed him. ...

    That was Frankie.com and it was David Ryan (IIRC) who went off on him. Public awareness of the
    Internet and Usenet was much lower when Hampsten was still racing. Frankie.com was more internet
    aware than most, I think his was one of the first internet rider diaries (and still one of the best
    due to its frankness).

    If that's true, then maybe
    > that's it for the most part. They won't lower their celebrity status to chat even with the RBR
    > Gods? Can you imagine the dogpile that would ensue if a real Pro like Lance posted here or even a
    > older Pro like Davis Phinney? Obviously they think they have better things to do then mucking
    > around in RBR but if they did that would raise the profile and status of RBR. Wonder if any Pros
    > have frequented the cycling forums?

    Raising the profile and status of RBR would be like teaching a pig to sing. And even if you could do
    it, who wants to hear a pig singing?

  11. Trg

    Trg Guest

    "Benjamin Weiner" <[email protected]> a écrit dans le message de
    news:[email protected]...
    > Raising the profile and status of RBR would be like teaching a pig to sing. And even if you could
    > do it, who wants to hear a pig singing?

    A very apt analogy. Images of rolling around in the muck come to mind.

    ---

  12. "Carl Sundquist" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Bruce Johnston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > > Obviously they think they have better things to do then mucking around
    in
    > > RBR but if they did that would raise the profile and status of RBR.
    >
    > Is that important?

    IMHO, It could be. I would tend to think that more Pros in RBR would give better perspective on the
    sport and insight from different angles on a whole host of issues. It seems that could only be good
    for RBR. Less muck and more grace.

  13. Raptor

    Raptor Guest

    Bruce Johnston wrote:
    > How many Top Pros have graced RBR besides Andy Hampsten and who are they? We

    "Kurgan Gringioni" sure sounds like the name of a top Italian pro. Who else could it be?

  14. Fred Marx

    Fred Marx Guest

    > Raising the profile and status of RBR would be like teaching a pig to sing. And even if you could
    > do it, who wants to hear a pig singing?

    more importantly who wants to deal with a pissed off pig?

  15. Andrew Price

    Andrew Price Guest