Question for SPD users

Chris Day

Guest
Hi, I have just got some Shimano m545 pedals and some Vans Exacerbate II SPD shoes , but I am
experiencing pins and needles and a bit of numbness in my toes after riding, anyone have similar
problems, or know a cure, or is it just me ?

Cheers

Chris

[email protected]

So Chris Day <[email protected]> says:

>Hi, I have just got some Shimano m545 pedals and some Vans Exacerbate II SPD shoes , but I am
>experiencing pins and needles and a bit of numbness in my toes after riding, anyone have similar
>problems, or know a cure, or is it just me ?

Have you played with the position of the cleat? Got good arch support (ie. footbeds)? jb

"Chris Day" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, I have just got some Shimano m545 pedals and some Vans Exacerbate II SPD shoes , but I am
> experiencing pins and needles and a bit of numbness in my toes after riding, anyone have similar
> problems, or know a cure, or is it just me ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Chris

Maybe you are wearing your shoes too tightly. Loosen the velcros slightly after riding a quarter or
half an hour as your feet are swelling a little bit anyway,

Antti

Chris Day <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> Hi, I have just got some Shimano m545 pedals and some Vans Exacerbate II SPD shoes , but I am
> experiencing pins and needles and a bit of numbness in my toes after riding, anyone have similar
> problems, or know a cure, or is it just me ?

Sounds like either:
1. your shoes are too small and squeezing your toes (remember that your feet swell on long rides)
2. the soles of your shoes are too flexy and pinching the soles of your feet (and thus cutting
circulation to your toes)
3. your cleats are badly positioned, causing your feet to be jammed off center in your shoes

> , but I am experiencing pins and needles and a bit of numbness in my toes after riding, anyone
> have similar problems, or know a cure,

Your seat height may be a bit too high. I found numbness in my toes because of this.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training