Question for the experts: What would happen if...

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Trevor Taylor, May 9, 2003.

  1. What would happen if I tried to replace the 53t outer chainring on my new Dura-Ace crankset with a
    50t DA track ring? Would it work?

    Thanks!

    Trevor

    Tags:

  2. John Dacey

    John Dacey Guest

    On Sat, 10 May 2003 04:36:08 GMT, "Trevor Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What would happen if I tried to replace the 53t outer chainring on my new Dura-Ace crankset with a
    >50t DA track ring? Would it work?

    Shimano track cranks and chainrings have a bolt circle diameter of 144
    mm. The road doubles from Shimano use a 130 mm bolt circle diameter, so the track 'ring won't fit on
    your crank.

    -------------------------------
    http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida 305-273-4440 Now in our
    twentieth year. Our catalog of track equipment: seventh year online
    -------------------------------

  3. Almost Fast

    Almost Fast Guest

    Two friends of mine race with Shimano 50 tooth chain rings on the road. They say it makes a 12-23
    cassette more useable. They bought the Shimano rings with ramps and 130mm bolt circle. Maybe 105
    level? But they put them on Dura-Ace cranks anyway.

    John Dacey <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Sat, 10 May 2003 04:36:08 GMT, "Trevor Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >What would happen if I tried to replace the 53t outer chainring on my new Dura-Ace crankset with
    > >a 50t DA track ring? Would it work?
    >
    > Shimano track cranks and chainrings have a bolt circle diameter of 144
    > mm. The road doubles from Shimano use a 130 mm bolt circle diameter, so the track 'ring won't fit
    > on your crank.
    >
    > -------------------------------
    > http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida 305-273-4440 Now in our
    > twentieth year. Our catalog of track equipment: seventh year online
    > -------------------------------

  4. Mike S.

    Mike S. Guest

    "almost fast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Two friends of mine race with Shimano 50 tooth chain rings on the road. They say it makes a 12-23
    > cassette more useable. They bought the Shimano rings with ramps and 130mm bolt circle. Maybe 105
    > level? But they put them on Dura-Ace cranks anyway.

    If you go look at a gear progression chart, a 50x12 is almost the same gear as a 53x13. A one tooth
    jump in the back equals three teeth in the front...

    The math works across all the cog combos, so basically, your buds have a one tooth bigger
    (physically) gear than you do with your 53.

    Since I race track, I've actually thought hard about doing this, but never have.

    Mike