Question for the experts: What would happen if...

Trevor Taylor

Guest
What would happen if I tried to replace the 53t outer chainring on my new Dura-Ace crankset with a
50t DA track ring? Would it work?

Thanks!

Trevor

On Sat, 10 May 2003 04:36:08 GMT, "Trevor Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote:

>What would happen if I tried to replace the 53t outer chainring on my new Dura-Ace crankset with a
>50t DA track ring? Would it work?

Shimano track cranks and chainrings have a bolt circle diameter of 144
mm. The road doubles from Shimano use a 130 mm bolt circle diameter, so the track 'ring won't fit on
your crank.

-------------------------------
http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida 305-273-4440 Now in our
twentieth year. Our catalog of track equipment: seventh year online
-------------------------------

Two friends of mine race with Shimano 50 tooth chain rings on the road. They say it makes a 12-23
cassette more useable. They bought the Shimano rings with ramps and 130mm bolt circle. Maybe 105
level? But they put them on Dura-Ace cranks anyway.

John Dacey <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> On Sat, 10 May 2003 04:36:08 GMT, "Trevor Taylor" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >What would happen if I tried to replace the 53t outer chainring on my new Dura-Ace crankset with
> >a 50t DA track ring? Would it work?
>
> Shimano track cranks and chainrings have a bolt circle diameter of 144
> mm. The road doubles from Shimano use a 130 mm bolt circle diameter, so the track 'ring won't fit
> on your crank.
>
> -------------------------------
> http://www.businesscycles.com John Dacey Business Cycles, Miami, Florida 305-273-4440 Now in our
> twentieth year. Our catalog of track equipment: seventh year online
> -------------------------------

"almost fast" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Two friends of mine race with Shimano 50 tooth chain rings on the road. They say it makes a 12-23
> cassette more useable. They bought the Shimano rings with ramps and 130mm bolt circle. Maybe 105
> level? But they put them on Dura-Ace cranks anyway.

If you go look at a gear progression chart, a 50x12 is almost the same gear as a 53x13. A one tooth
jump in the back equals three teeth in the front...

The math works across all the cog combos, so basically, your buds have a one tooth bigger
(physically) gear than you do with your 53.

Since I race track, I've actually thought hard about doing this, but never have.

Mike