Question for the racers?

RubberSideDown

Nov 17, 2003
How do you know when you are ready to begin racing? I thought of racing each year and each year I chicken out. I guess I chicken out each time because I do not think I can compete. I ride quite a bit and enjoy it very much. I have a competitive side to me that wants to race, but I just do not want to be humiliated (although, everyone needs some humiliation every now and again). I am not looking to go pro (by any stretch of the imagination), but would like to compete for the fun of it. I am a pretty strong rider and I feel I could do fairly well. Not place, but alsoe not dead last. I know racers are pretty hard-core and I think that is the other side of racing that turns me off. Any racers out there with advice they would like to share? To race or not to? How to get started? How to handle a race situation if I finally do decide to?

Thanks in advance
RubberSideDown

OK I started Racing early this summer... and my advice is, yeah youll be nervous... just take some sleep aids the night before (I do anyway, If I dont I dont sleep) and chill and have fun, even if you have a bad day, just keep your spirits high, its a tough sport.

later!

I did my first XC MTB race about 2 months ago. Sure I was nervous, but it’s better to dive in & have a go than to think about doing it.
My approch was to look around & pick a pretty low-key event. Something short or run by a local club/group or small body.
I actually rocked up the week before ( the event I was looknig at was held weekly) & had a look first. Didn’t seem that bad. The following w/end ( when the event wasn’t being run) I practiced on what was left of the circuit. Even with the bunting & markers removed I could still pick out the course from the tire marks.

On the day of the event I was the last to ride off from the mass start. Followed the guy in front & tried to pace myself to last the distance & looked ahead at what the other guys were doing to pick up technique etc. It was a XC event, had a 10min loop & lasted 3 laps, pretty do-able.

Thanks for those of you (all two of you) who responded. The winter months are upon us and I am moving into a new house. With that being said, my plan is to get a trainer (I will actually have room for one in the new house) and spin, spin, spin. It will also help that i am now 3 miles to some great trails. Hopefully come spring time, I will shake those nerves and get my tail out there and have some fun. Thanks again guys.

RIDE ON!
RubberSideDown