Question for those that ride everyday. ???

BHOFM

Aug 8, 2010
For those that ride everyday. When you miss a day do you feel guilty?
I have been riding just over three months, everyday, and when I have
to miss a day, two so far, one for family thing and the other from illness,
I feel real bad all day and worry that I will fall behind or maybe just not
ride one day because I don't feel like it and then maybe two days.

In the beginning, yes, I'd ride everyday and have thoughts such as if I was cheating or neglecting my bike if not out on her and I'd feel horrible about not riding.

HELL yeah;. I feel guilty! i've just recently taken 3 days in a row off due to a bug of some sort. you're not the only one.

Mind you....i do take about 2-4 days off a month that i don't even sit on any of my bikes. I never do back to back hard rides though. I do believe in resting. Except some of my rest days turn into a short and easy spin day.

No, I don't feel guilty; but I miss being on the bike if I can't ride for some reason...so I try not to not ride :p

When you first start out you want to ride everyday and do feel guilty. But as time passes, and you get some miles under your belt, become more used to riding, you will need to take some days off to recover. That depends on what kind of riding you do off course.

If you go out for an easy leisurely ride all the time, sure you can do it everyday and be fine. But if you get a little more serious with your riding, where you put in some harder efforts, your legs will need some down time from the bike, and you should think about having a weekly schedule.

I just base my rides on the previous day. If I had a hard day in the saddle yesterday, I'm ok with taking a break, but if I'm supposed to ride today, and can't for some reason, I do get ****** that I can't. :D

I don't miss many days I try to get 25 miles a day in, some times more 35 40 some times less 15 20. About 3 weeks ago I started to ride and my legs felt like 2 big hams, no power just went 12 miles. Went home took the next day off. When I got back on the bike it felt good, like I had new legs :D. So I think a day off can be a good thing for me at age 65 almost 66. But I do want to be on the bike and I do feel guilty if I don't ride.

I have my schedule and if I can't abide by it I get grouchy. I am riding my wife's bike right now due to a bad shift lever on mine, a replacement is on the way.
Her saddle is killing me so I think I will put my saddle on her bike until mine is repaired.
She has only been riding her MTB as of late anyway.

[COLOR= #0000ff]BHOFM, I'm not really stalking you, it just seems like you bring up the only topics I know enough about to reply to, lol.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]As you know, I've only been riding since August -- but I already get really grumpy and feel guilty if I miss a day! I actually have missed 14 days in a row now, since I had surgery and can't ride again until the doc gives me permission (I'm praying that will be tomorrow when I see him). It is KILLING me not to be biking these past 2 weeks. Like you, I'm worried about falling behind and losing what progress I had made. I was up to 7 miles a day, but now with the surgery lay-off, I'm afraid I'll be down to half that when I start up again.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]My hubby and daughter went on a long ride on Sunday, and I actually cried after they left because I wanted to be out there so bad. I guess that's a good sign, though; it means that I'm not going to stop any time soon, if ever![/COLOR]

[COLOR= #0000ff]It is a relief to know that I'm not the only one 'weird' enough to miss it and feel guilty when I don't go. So thanks for asking.[/COLOR]

I do feel a bit guilty. I forced myself to take Saturday and Sunday off. I have only been riding a month, and don't want to go too crazy. With an Ohio winter fast approaching, thoughts of the dreaded stationary bike are beginning to haunt me, and I fear that I will regret every day that I miss all winter. Hopefully the snow will hold back for a long while.

No I never feel guilty, sometimes you just don't have a enough time in a day, or the weather sucked, or your ill. I've been off the bike since Saturday because I had a shoulder surgery done on Monday, so I'll be off the bike for at least 2 weeks.

At some point you will have to miss a ride. It's the nature of our lives that things will appear to interupt our training. It could be anything, like a virus attack or injury, which would make it difficult if not dangerous to ride, or a family problem that requires our attention. Don't feel guilty about missing rides. It's a question of priorities. We're cyclists and we love to ride but familty and health come first. Having to miss a ride or two is no big deal in the greater spere of things. We're human beings first and cyclists second.

Tomorrow I get to load up a a bunch of bikes drive for an hour and ride 12 miles. Although it is a ride through very scenic and popular territory( Cades Cove) it goes against my time utilizatoin logic. Also I am the only one of the group that trains on a bike consistently.
I have three choices , hang back the group, ride to the finish and wait or move in front and then wait.
12 miles and it ain't even a hard ride with 5000' of verticle more like 900' . The weather is prime for a 50 mile ride without even a hard sweat.
It almost seems like I am going to miss a ride.

Originally Posted by jhuskey .

Tomorrow I get to load up a a bunch of bikes drive for an hour and ride 12 miles. Although it is a ride through very scenic and popular territory( Cades Cove) it goes against my time utilizatoin logic. Also I am the only one of the group that trains on a bike consistently.
I have three choices , hang back the group, ride to the finish and wait or move in front and then wait.
12 miles and it ain't even a hard ride with 5000' of verticle more like 900' . The weather is prime for a 50 mile ride without even a hard sweat.
It almost seems like I am going to miss a ride.

That is a long way to drive for such a short ride, but I'm guessing you're doing this for family or friends and that's nice of you.

I'm sure they'll have fun.

I never pack my bikes on a car, drive somewhere then ride unless I'm going to visit friends or relatives, or going camping, or going on a family trip, otherwise I leave on my bike from my home and ride to where ever and back from there. Why would you drive an hour, or about 40 miles, then ride 12 miles, then return? Why not ride 92 miles? or 102? It's a weekend day, you have all day. On most weekends, usually Saturdays, I ride anywhere from 75 to 120 miles round trip. But not this weekend or the next, or maybe even the next because I had shoulder surgery so I'm not riding at all till the doctor ok's it.

Please don't take my above comments as bagging on anyone who takes a car someplace then rides. I guess if you were taking the car someplace special that was 3 hours away then you were going to ride for at least 50 miles I could understand that. But it seems a bit odd to me, but I'm a bit odd anyways, why take a car someplace you could have easily ridden that far.

I have a friend that drives ten miles, pays five dollars and then rides maybe twenty miles.
It is a National Battle Field with a drive through it.

It just doesn't make sense to me!

One thing, it is safe, all the traffic is in one direction.

http://www.nps.gov/pwr/customcf/apps/maps/showmap.cfm?alphacode=peri&parkname=Pea%20Ridge%20National%20Military%20Park

First of all, during the regular season, I have a pretty strict riding schedule that includes several hard training sessions each week. If I miss one of those sessions, I do feel guilty. If I miss an easy recovery ride, I don't feel guilty. Now, during the off-season, I have backed off on my training in favor of getting in some good endurance miles before indoor winter training commences. It is harder to stay motivated during the unstructured part of the off-season, and I've caught myself missing rides in favor of sleeping in. This makes me feel guilty, but I don't know if it should, because I know my body/mind need some time off to recover fully from a long/hard season of racing.

Driving to a ride: I used to never do this, I would always ride from my house. However, I have gotten into the "habit" of driving to races as they are often out of state and as a result, driving to ride starts doesn't feel so crazy anymore. Also, I live in the city where traffic makes it difficult to get in many quality miles and intervals are next to impossible on city steets. My team trains/rides out of a northern suburb, and driving to training sessions, training until dark, and driving home has become common practice.

Originally Posted by BHOFM .

I have a friend that drives ten miles, pays five dollars and then rides maybe twenty miles.
It is a National Battle Field with a drive through it.

It just doesn't make sense to me!

One thing, it is safe, all the traffic is in one direction.

http://www.nps.gov/pwr/customcf/apps/maps/showmap.cfm?alphacode=peri&parkname=Pea%20Ridge%20National%20Military%20Park

Anyway,safety is an important issue.

Originally Posted by celia123 .

Anyway,safety is an important issue.
But remember, I am the guy that stops in the middle of a traffic lane during rush hour to pick up a penny out of the road..

Here is the proof!
penny.jpg

It was and the did and the traffic was horrible. I was easily able to stay the the automobile traffic around the loop and actually got held up a lot by it. I think I have them convinced there are closer and better places to ride.

Originally Posted by BHOFM .

But remember, I am the guy that stops in the middle of a traffic lane during rush hour to pick up a penny out of the road..

Here is the proof!
penny.jpg
[COLOR= #0000ff]So, BHOFM, is that how you got your millions? Lol! I read a story in the Phoenix paper about a runner who ran every day, and decided he would pick up every coin he saw, from pennies to quarters. It took him a long time... but 8 years later he paid for a trip to Hawaii for him AND his wife with those coins[/COLOR]! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif