question from a newb: What's the point of a single speed mtn bike?

Umbra said:
Okay, what's the point of this bike: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=7297&item=7128986402&rd=1

Why only a single speed? For sake of simplicity and reliability?
Check out the singlespeed forum here or on mtbr.com and you're likely to get a whole lot of differing opinion. In fact the ss faq section at mtbr is probably a good place to start - http://www.mtbr.com/faq/ssfaq.shtml

TD said:
The marketing guys couldn't think up anything new, so they went with something old.
Uhhh, yeah, right - name me one singlespeed bike which is heavily marketed....

Sam

i personally dont have or find the need for a single speed at the moment but i think alot of SS riders will tell you its a good training tool, it helps you forget about the bike and gearing and lets you think more about your riding and the trail

and also on the topic of single speeds... anyone heard much about the Giant two2one ? its basically the XTC frame with horisontal dropouts and no disc mounts

looks pretty nice and our supplier can get some now so we might get some into the sho[ then i can have a real look at one :D

pretty much u can make a single speed bike by puting a suspension fork on a 24" bmx bike. I would know..............i've done it. I was borred, it was raining, there was an old mongoose bmx bike frame in the corner and some 24" wheels. I used spare parts form my mountain bike and there ya go. If i can figure out how to post pics I will send one. It looked kinda like a chopper. I couldnt have bunny hopped on it if my life depended on it......

Purity. Plain and simple. No shifts, no worries about drivetrain... just you and your bike against the trail. And I personally imagine it must be a heck of a rush to blow by geared bikes on a single-speeder. Make it fully rigid (no I haven't made the plunge.... yet) and it becomes an even greater challenge.

Check out this website too for a more biased opinion. (I hope these guys don't mind me quoting their website, they're pretty bada**)

http://teamsheep.nu/singlespeed.html

Fun! Silly fun if you look at it logically granted but fun non the less. Purity comes into it, and for those on a budget you can bang together a singlespeed pretty cheap using old bits. Also guess when you have ridden rigid, hardtail, and full sus off road you start wondering what's next....... Just don't go to far and start thinking about a fixed wheel bike :)

The two consistent answers to this question I have gotten from friends that ride SS or just folks I run into that ride them are:
-It's a challenge they like to conquer
-Good change of pace

It's a hell of a challenge on many trails, but I've been on hella sketchy/technical/steep rides with folks on SS bikes and they keep on keepin' on. It's something I've thought about once in a while. I think I'll keep on resisting...for now.

K.

i dont know why people want to buy single speeds mtbs and i dont know the point of them (theyre certaily not for climbing up mountains)..

perhaps its for the mechanically inept. people who dont know a sprocket from a dead dog..

?

MountainPro said:
i dont know why people want to buy single speeds mtbs and i dont know the point of them (theyre certaily not for climbing up mountains)..

perhaps its for the mechanically inept. people who dont know a sprocket from a dead dog..

?
Don't knock it till you've tried it. You know it's sick and wrong but you can't help but enjoy it :)

They climb like a goat on speed by the way, partly because the rider has two choices, walk or ride, and there is no granny ring to save you. I knocked 15 minutes off my hour long hilly commute when I borrowed my friends SS just because it drove me to ride faster. Think of them as bondage bikes, the dominatrixs of the bike world.