Question of meat storage

LT

Guest
My wife bought a couple of 3.5 lb rump roasts to cooked and served next
Saturday. (family dinner) Question is should we freeze them, or will they
keep for a week in the frig?

LT

In article <[email protected]>,
"LT" <[email protected]> wrote:

> My wife bought a couple of 3.5 lb rump roasts to cooked and served next
> Saturday. (family dinner) Question is should we freeze them, or will they
> keep for a week in the frig?
>
> LT

Personally, I'd keep them in the fridge. Others might not. "Official"
guidelines would probably to say to use within 3 days of purchase.
--
http://www.jamlady.eboard.com, updated 1-3-2006, Sam I Am! and Hello!

"LT" <[email protected]> looking for trouble wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> My wife bought a couple of 3.5 lb rump roasts to cooked and served
> next Saturday. (family dinner) Question is should we freeze them, or
> will they keep for a week in the frig?
>
> LT

I've never had this issue since I usually cook the roasts the same day I
purchase them, but I would check the sell by date on the roasts. I'm not
sure how a roast ages while kept cool but I would probably wrap it well and
freeze it. The irridescent sheen on a piece of beef is meaningless if left
in the light. The beef is still good. Give it the sniff test first if
storing it in the fridge for a week. This is probably not much help but
check out the info here:

http://www.beefitswhatsfordinner.com/aboutbeef/handling.asp

Michael

--
Pics aren't great but here are 2 of my 4 brats.
Hoot about to ****** the snack out of my mouth:

Ramsey ever curious about electronics breaking into the TMobile bag:
http://tinypic.com/jtrwgn.jpg

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 23:50:26 GMT, "LT" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>My wife bought a couple of 3.5 lb rump roasts to cooked and served next
>Saturday. (family dinner) Question is should we freeze them, or will they
>keep for a week in the frig?

Cryovac'd, they'd last at least a week. Styrofoam and plastic
wrap: Freeze them.

-sw

"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Cryovac'd, they'd last at least a week. Styrofoam and plastic
> wrap: Freeze them.

Some of the Cryovac packages have "sell by" dates that are a couple of weeks
at least. I've never had a problem with them. Bought a leg of lamb last
week and the date is January 20.

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 03:35:42 GMT, "Edwin Pawlowski" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"Steve Wertz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> Cryovac'd, they'd last at least a week. Styrofoam and plastic
>> wrap: Freeze them.

>Some of the Cryovac packages have "sell by" dates that are a couple of weeks
>at least.

Yep - that's why I said 'at least'. Usually it's much longer.
Especially in the case of a raw (cured and smoked, but not cooked)
ham - 2 months+

>I've never had a problem with them. Bought a leg of lamb last
>week and the date is January 20.

Cryovac Rules! Seriously, it works well. Once it's open though,
things deteriorate fast, which should be expected.

-sw

On Sat, 7 Jan 2006, LT wrote:

> My wife bought a couple of 3.5 lb rump roasts to cooked and served next
> Saturday. (family dinner) Question is should we freeze them, or will they
> keep for a week in the frig?
>
> LT

I'd freeze them.

Elaine, too

LT wrote:

> My wife bought a couple of 3.5 lb rump roasts to cooked and served next
> Saturday. (family dinner) Question is should we freeze them, or will they
> keep for a week in the frig?

They'll keep for about a week from pack date if done in the store. If
cryopacked, they'll be good for about 45 days from pack time. If this
takes it more than a couple days past the "sell by" date, I'd leave them
in the packaging for maybe 4 days and then take them out, give them a
quick rinse and put them in the fridge on a rack on a tray with a paper
towel draped loosely over them. They'll dry-age a bit which will
intensify the beef flavors.

Beef will last about 3 weeks exposed to air (on a rack so air can
circulate completely around it) before it dries to the point where it
needs to be trimmed. It will run well over a month uncovered before
spoilage proceeds to any appreciable degree.

Pastorio

LT wrote:
> My wife bought a couple of 3.5 lb rump roasts to cooked and served next
> Saturday. (family dinner) Question is should we freeze them, or will they
> keep for a week in the frig?

I would freeze them, a full week in the fridge is too long.. and what
if somthing untoward occurs that precludes their being cooked. And
what did you plan for those two rump roasts, pot roast, or oven roast,
or? Me, I'd leave the first two frozen and the day before your dinner
buy two new ones... never frozen is always best, and this is supposedly
for company.

Sheldon

"Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> Pastorio

> Have you been away Bob, or have I just not been getting your posts?

I've been missing your posts, Bob. I was beginning to think I have you
killfiled (by mistake of course.)
I know you are not snowed in!
Dee Dee
Shenandoah Valley, VA

"Dee Randall" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...

> "Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> "Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> Pastorio

>> Have you been away Bob, or have I just not been getting your posts?

> I've been missing your posts, Bob. I was beginning to think I have you
> killfiled (by mistake of course.)
> I know you are not snowed in!
> Dee Dee
> Shenandoah Valley, VA

I think Bob was discovering exotics dishes :)
Pandora
Germagnano Valley (To)

Meat spoilage rates...

Why is it that beef, which has been aged, keeps so much longer (raw) in
the 'frige than pork???

I thawed a package of pork sausage about 4 days ago. It was in a sealed
plastic "chub". The salt should have preserved it but when I cut the end
off of the package today to use it, it stank to high heaven. :-( I had
to toss it. The venison sausage I had thawed out was 3 days old and it
was fine.

I've found that, when I purchase pork steaks, chops or roasts, I either
have to freeze them right away or use them within 24 hours, or they rot!

I had a lovely (beef) round roast in the 'frige for 5 days and it did
not even start to smell high. I had done some top round in chunks and
marinated in soy sauce and it sat for 5 days also, and did not go bad.

Chicken is usually okay for 2 to 3 days raw.

Raw emu keeps for a good 10 days, but that is meat I process myself.

What is the deal with pork? Is it the high fat content, or maybe just
where I am purchasing it from???
--
Om.

"My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-*****." -Jack Nicholson

OmManiPadmeOmelet wrote:
> Meat spoilage rates...
>
> Why is it that beef, which has been aged, keeps so much longer (raw) in
> the 'frige than pork???
>
> I thawed a package of pork sausage about 4 days ago. It was in a sealed
> plastic "chub". The salt should have preserved it but when I cut the end
> off of the package today to use it, it stank to high heaven. :-( I had
> to toss it.

Fresh pork sausage does not contain anywhere near enough salt to
preserve it, or you couldn't eat it... but just enough salt that it
really doesn't freeze well, shouldn't be stored in a home freezer more
than ninety days. It's 'ground' pork, with herbs, and it's
pre-packaged chub mystery meat... that is by far the worst combination
for long shelf life. You shouldn't leave even high quality, freshly
made, never frozen fresh pork sausage, like from a specialty butcher
shop, in the fridge more than two days before cooking... that
defrosted **** you have shouldn't be left in the fridge more than 24
hours at most... I wouldn't eat that, I wouldn't buy it, in fact even
is someone bought it for me I'd toss that sludge in the trash. How can
anyone think to eat that ****, it's far worse than canned pet food.

Pandora wrote:
> "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> ha scritto
>
>>"Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>>>"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote

>>>Have you been away Bob, or have I just not been getting your posts?

>>I've been missing your posts, Bob. I was beginning to think I have you
>>killfiled (by mistake of course.)
>>I know you are not snowed in!

We were "iced in" during the week before Christmas. I live on a farm
with a long, hilly driveway (I can get my car up to 40 MPH on it) much
of which is shaded and protected by trees. Snow builds up and becomes
ice. The drive became impossible to traverse without special effort. I
scattered 80 pounds of salt along the more icy parts of it just to be
able to drive on it without sliding over the edge (the drive is partly
carved out of a hillside - no guard rails).

>>Dee Dee
>>Shenandoah Valley, VA

Yes. I drove past your exit of Rt 81 at a great rate of speed... <LOL>

> I think Bob was discovering exotics dishes :)
> Pandora

I've been doing a lot of travelling in recent weeks. Virginia to New
Jersey for a few days. Canada for several more. Back to New Jersey for
still more and finally back to Virginia to recuperate from the "vacation."

Made lots of things from gingerbread (posted a picture of my daughter's
Eiffel Tower in alt.binaries.food). Houses, sleighs, gift boxes,
ornaments. Created an igloo from sugar cubes and royal icing - never saw
one, but seemed like a reasonable idea; worked wonderfully.

I helped put together a rather over-the-top buffet at my sister's house.
Did a stracotto di manzo al ginepro (braised beef with juniper), salmon
in puff pastry, cream-based chicken stew and lots of other foods. Others
did pastas, lamb, pork, desserts by the dozens, salads of several sorts
and too many dishes to mention. I'm not going to need to eat until April.

Pastorio

"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[email protected]...
> Pandora wrote:
>> "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> ha scritto
>>
>>>"Ophelia" <[email protected]> wrote

>>>I've been missing your posts, Bob. I was beginning to think I have you
>>>killfiled (by mistake of course.)
>>>I know you are not snowed in!

> We were "iced in" during the week before Christmas. I live on a farm with
> a long, hilly driveway (I can get my car up to 40 MPH on it) much of which
> is shaded and protected by trees. Snow builds up and becomes ice. The
> drive became impossible to traverse without special effort. I scattered 80
> pounds of salt along the more icy parts of it just to be able to drive on
> it without sliding over the edge (the drive is partly carved out of a
> hillside - no guard rails).
>
>>>Dee Dee
>>>Shenandoah Valley, VA

> Yes. I drove past your exit of Rt 81 at a great rate of speed... <LOL>
>
>> I think Bob was discovering exotics dishes :)
>> Pandora

> I've been doing a lot of travelling in recent weeks. Virginia to New
> Jersey for a few days. Canada for several more. Back to New Jersey for
> still more and finally back to Virginia to recuperate from the "vacation."
>
> Made lots of things from gingerbread (posted a picture of my daughter's
> Eiffel Tower in alt.binaries.food). Houses, sleighs, gift boxes,
> ornaments. Created an igloo from sugar cubes and royal icing - never saw
> one, but seemed like a reasonable idea; worked wonderfully.
>
> I helped put together a rather over-the-top buffet at my sister's house.
> Did a stracotto di manzo al ginepro (braised beef with juniper), salmon in
> puff pastry, cream-based chicken stew and lots of other foods. Others did
> pastas, lamb, pork, desserts by the dozens, salads of several sorts and
> too many dishes to mention. I'm not going to need to eat until April.

GNAM GNAM!

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006, Bob (this one) wrote:

> LT wrote:
>
> > My wife bought a couple of 3.5 lb rump roasts to cooked and served next
> > Saturday. (family dinner) Question is should we freeze them, or will they
> > keep for a week in the frig?

> They'll keep for about a week from pack date if done in the store. If
> cryopacked, they'll be good for about 45 days from pack time. If this
> takes it more than a couple days past the "sell by" date, I'd leave them
> in the packaging for maybe 4 days and then take them out, give them a
> quick rinse and put them in the fridge on a rack on a tray with a paper
> towel draped loosely over them. They'll dry-age a bit which will
> intensify the beef flavors.
>
> Beef will last about 3 weeks exposed to air (on a rack so air can
> circulate completely around it) before it dries to the point where it
> needs to be trimmed. It will run well over a month uncovered before
> spoilage proceeds to any appreciable degree.
>
> Pastorio

Might I add a caveat here without challenging the content of your post?

Refrigerator temps are crucial in this process. The temps must hold
constant. Home fridges are notoriously unreliable. Many are cooled by the
flow of air from the freezer compartment, which can be hindered by an
over-loaded freezer or fridge, excessive opening of either door, old or
weak seals on doors, hindered air flow due to the way contents are stacked
and or arranged, etc.

A refrigerator thermometer is always a good choice and is an added safety
measure, especially where raw meats are concerned.

Elaine, too

In article <[email protected]>,
"Bob (this one)" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I'm not going to need to eat until April.
>
> Pastorio

I know the feeling. ;-)

Time to go hybernate eh?

<lol>

Welcome back!

If you are so inclined, could you take a look at that thread on propane
torches?
--

Elaine Parrish wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Jan 2006, Bob (this one) wrote:
>

>>LT wrote:
>>

>>>My wife bought a couple of 3.5 lb rump roasts to cooked and served next
>>>Saturday. (family dinner) Question is should we freeze them, or will they
>>>keep for a week in the frig?

>>They'll keep for about a week from pack date if done in the store. If
>>cryopacked, they'll be good for about 45 days from pack time. If this
>>takes it more than a couple days past the "sell by" date, I'd leave them
>>in the packaging for maybe 4 days and then take them out, give them a
>>quick rinse and put them in the fridge on a rack on a tray with a paper
>>towel draped loosely over them. They'll dry-age a bit which will
>>intensify the beef flavors.
>>
>>Beef will last about 3 weeks exposed to air (on a rack so air can
>>circulate completely around it) before it dries to the point where it
>>needs to be trimmed. It will run well over a month uncovered before
>>spoilage proceeds to any appreciable degree.
>>
>>Pastorio
>>

> Might I add a caveat here without challenging the content of your post?

Like they say in the mustard commercials, "But, of course..."

> Refrigerator temps are crucial in this process. The temps must hold
> constant. Home fridges are notoriously unreliable. Many are cooled by the
> flow of air from the freezer compartment, which can be hindered by an
> over-loaded freezer or fridge, excessive opening of either door, old or
> weak seals on doors, hindered air flow due to the way contents are stacked
> and or arranged, etc.

Agreed. With the understanding that fridge temps cycle. They go above
the set temp which triggers the compressor to start working which takes
the temp below the setting which turns off the compressor... ad infinitum.

> A refrigerator thermometer is always a good choice and is an added safety
> measure, especially where raw meats are concerned.

Agreed, again.

Pastorio