Question - older steel frame vs. newer aluminum?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by kindaclueless, Jul 6, 2004.

1. kindaclueless

kindaclueless New Member

hey folks

it has been a loooong time since i bought a bike. any thoughts on whether i should go for a new 2004 Lemond Alpe D'Huez with an aluminum frame or a 2002 with the classic steel frame? both have 105 components so it's all about the frame. i would save about $300 with the older model and i have always been under the impression that stell is just a helluva lot more comfortable than aluminum.

thoughts? comments?

Tags:

2. boudreaux

boudreaux New Member

You're gonna have to ride em and decide for yourself. I have my preference,but what fits my pistol may not fit yours.

3. nutbag

nutbag New Member

How do you ride, and how heavy are you?

This just my opinion, of course, but if the Classic Steel is made with Reynolds 853, and feels not much heavier, I'd go for that -- it will most likely last a lot longer.

It's sounds like you might be a bit like me: an 80s guy who's reluctant to try this new 'fandangle' aluminium.

Let me generalize and provide my insupportable, unresearched, anecdotal, and obviously subjective evidence.:)

I've decided that aluminium will not last. I've busted two alu frames in the last year, so I've decided never to spend good money on one ever again; I'll just get cheap ones to ride in wet weather. I'm a bit heavy (85kg/187lbs), and really give my bikes a pounding, and both of my old steel frames (Reynolds 531 tubing) have lasted many, many years (18 years and 12 years), but my alu ones didn't last more than two. I have TOTALLY hammered my steel bikes, including a few years of racing, many hill sprints during training, riding over curbs....I've done EVERYTHING to them.

Who really cares about what warranty you get with an alu frame? Changing a frame over via a distributor is pain in the a$$, and the guarantee will eventually run out, then what do you do? I suppose it depends on what kinda money you make.

Having blurted that out, I have to say that I loved my alu frames, and was very disappointed when they broke. I've found that alu is (obviously) stiffer, and therefore a bit less comfortable, and 'seems' to accelerate a bit quicker, but having said that, I've never owned a modern steel frame like a LeMond 853.

(wow, what a ramble!):)

4. nutbag

nutbag New Member

oops. hit the button twice

5. kindaclueless

kindaclueless New Member

awesome - thanks for the feedback!

yeah - i'm a throwback guy who stopped riding for about ten years (work, kids and all that jazz). trying to get back into it without breaking the bank.

for my purposes (getting out a couple of times a week for a few hours plus the occassional century) the alu seems silly. i just wanted to make sure that i wasn't insane passing up on all of this crazy, new-fangled technology!

i appreciate the info. this helps seal the deal for me. good ol' fashioned steel frames, here i come!

6. nutbag

nutbag New Member