question on a couple of bikes

jrstudman81

Banned
Aug 18, 2011
WHich out of the 3 would you choose for a hybrid fitness bike the Trek 7.9fx, Cannondale quick carbon 1, or the Specialized SIrrus limited? All our in my price range. What our the differences between the three bikes. Going to a few LBS tomorrow to check out bikes and get fitted. Not even sure that they will have these bikes in stock if not can you special order with the store or would I have to order it online? My other option would be to step up to a entry road bike with drop downs Aghhhh, scary. Everytime i'm on a drop down bike like for instance my dads , I feel like i'm going to fall off. this is the only thing stopping me from getting a drop down. I don't know if this is from lack of biking experience or what. I could put flat bars on a drop down but that would make it a bit slower right? so i'd just be better off starting with a hybrid bike.

test ride all three whichever feels best for you,i'll go for the cannondale/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

dude, don't NOT buy a road bike because you feel unstable in the drops, most of the times you are going to be on the hoods anyway. And the uncomfortableness will go away within 3 rides max, at that point you will be WAY happier that you bought the road bike. As concerned as you seem to be with having a fast machine, I would bet that if you buy a fitness bike you will have it sold within a year to get a road bike....

nahh, you our freakin wrong, man. No I wouldn't fitness hybrid bikes our just as good! I like the flat bar hybrid fitness bikes, loser! I feel unstable in the hoods as well, the handlebars our just different on a road bike v.s. a hybrid bike. And no I won't be on the hoods most of the time if that's the case it would be harder for my hands to get to the brakes, since the brakes our positions near the drop downs. So there.

Brakes are accessible from above as well, actually I find them easier to use from the hoods than in the drops/img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif.

You can think what you want and make all of the crazy or rude statements, it won't change reality. Kind of funny how you are calling me a loser, when I can ride pretty much anything with pedals, hands, no hands, while putting on a jacket, eating, etc. and you can't even ride daddy's road bike without almost falling over.

and i won't within a yr. decide to go to a road bike, road bikes our for losers . There's one thing i'm great at that I know you will suck at and that's video games!!!!!! Hahah, you will never beat me at video games no matter how hard you try. I'm awesome on a bike as well loser!

OK, I'll bite - I was unaware that we were in the presence of an awesome cycling prodigy video game wizard with precognitive abilities. I already know that once you reached a blistering 28 mph; but please euclidate us on the magnitude of your cycling and video gaming prowess such that we may be properly in awe.

Hononyms be damned, the word is "are" which is a verb, not "our" which is a pronoun.

Originally Posted by jrstudman81 .

wooooooooohohoooooooooo that hurts, you probably can't even ride a children's bike you loser!
Man you got me, amazing how right you are. Kinda crazy that with my lack of cycling ability I somehow managed to win a state championship, as well as many other races this year....

Speaking of video games, people like yourself are the reason that I turn off the damn sound on Call of Duty (when I do play, most of the time I am doing more productive things like riding my "drop down bike"), I can't listen to your 5th grade chatter the entire game, yes I am sure you are "that guy" (or most likely child).

Myself along with others were legitimately trying to help you and all you are doing is trolling the site to get a rise out of people. I typically don't entertain such immaturity, but you are just throwing out softballs, I really hope you are better at playing video games than trolling a forum

After all the threads posted by jrstudman81, it turns to this! Pretty sure a hybrid/fitness bike is not "just as good" as a good road bike, but I am not here to convince anyone :)

WHich out of the 3 would you choose for a hybrid fitness bike the Trek 7.9fx, Cannondale quick carbon 1, or the Specialized SIrrus limited? All our in my price range. What our the differences between the three bikes. Going to a few LBS tomorrow to check out bikes and get fitted. Not even sure that they will have these bikes in stock if not can you special order with the store or would I have to order it online? My other option would be to step up to a entry road bike with drop downs Aghhhh, scary. Everytime i'm on a drop down bike like for instance my dads , I feel like i'm going to fall off. this is the only thing stopping me from getting a drop down. I don't know if this is from lack of biking experience or what. I could put flat bars on a drop down but that would make it a bit slower right? so i'd just be better off starting with a hybrid bike.

Well, either you want advice or you want to be a jackass to people who are offering advice and might have more experience than you. You decide.

If you really want advice or help, the best suggestion is to go to several bike shops and get test rides on several bikes. Then buy the bike that fits best, fits your budget, and appeals to you the most. There is no other best advice. It would be completely wrong to say, "Buy Brand X model Y" because while that bike might be great for a lot of folks, it might just fit you like a turd. One thing is very true: if a bike doesn't fit and the rider is thus uncomfortable--especially a new rider--that rider is less likely to enjoy riding that bike, is more likely to injure himself or herself, and is more likely to ride less.

In your test rides include a road bike or two. Not all road bikes fit the same. Some have a more relaxed fit, allowing the rider to sit more upright. In fact, some road bikes fit just like hybrid bikes, with the only difference being the hybrids usually have flat bars while the road bikes typically have drop bars. On such road bikes (that fit like hybrids), the top of the drop bars can be just as high as a flat bar. The shifters and brakes can be just as accessible. An added benefit is that drop bars offer more hand positions than flat bars, which adds to the comfort, especially on longer rides. If you rode a road bike on which you felt like you were going to fall off, that bike was a bad fit for you.

Originally Posted by Archbob .

Isn't the main different in speed performance the wheels?
No. Bike fit and rider fitness have the biggest impact on speed for just about any rider. If a bike fits, the rider will be more comfortable and more efficient. Wheels are only one component of the equation.

Wow, ok then back to the original question. Ride all three for at least 8 miles. I personally like the Specialized due to the Zertz inserts in the frame give that bike a plush ride which is well known for long distance comfort. But, some hardcore racers don't like that feel, you have to decide which you like.

Let's keep the comments constructive and civil. Insulting other members impresses no one.

wooooooooohohoooooooooo that hurts, you probably can't even ride a children's bike you loser!