Question on ACS Southpaw freewheel

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by T.C. Mann, Jan 24, 2003.

  1. T.C. Mann

    T.C. Mann Guest

    The ACS Southpaw is available in both 14T and 16T. I know that the 16T one uses a 1.375 X 24TPI
    Left-hand thread. Does anyone know if the 14T uses the same or different thread? I am asking this
    because some of the LHD hubs state that they only work with the 14T Southpaw. I am thinking that
    the 14T must use a different thread otherwise why wouldn't I be able to use a 16T Southpaw with
    them? Thank you

    Tags:

  2. T.C. Mann wrote:

    > The ACS Southpaw is available in both 14T and 16T. I know that the 16T one uses a 1.375 X 24TPI
    > Left-hand thread. Does anyone know if the 14T uses the same or different thread? I am asking this
    > because some of the LHD hubs state that they only work with the 14T Southpaw. I am thinking that
    > the 14T must use a different thread otherwise why wouldn't I be able to use a 16T Southpaw with
    > them? Thank you

    All singlespeed 14 tooth freewheels need the smaller "metric" thread. The standard 1 3/8" thread
    doesn't leave room to fit a freewheel mechanism inside of a 14 tooth sprocket.

    This is true for both left- and right-side drive systems.

    Sheldon "No Room For The Pawls" Brown
    | There are 10 kinds of people in this world: | Those who understand the binary system, and those
    | who don’t |
    +---------------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "T.C. Mann" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > The ACS Southpaw is available in both 14T and 16T. I know that the 16T one uses a 1.375 X 24TPI
    > Left-hand thread. Does anyone know if the 14T uses the same or different thread? I am asking this
    > because some of the LHD hubs state that they only work with the 14T Southpaw. I am thinking that
    > the 14T must use a different thread otherwise why wouldn't I be able to use a 16T Southpaw with
    > them? Thank you

    I don't know about that freewheel specifically but the usual format is a standard thread on sizes
    16-up. Because the freewheel mechanism requires at least _some_ space, the fourteens are threaded
    for the smaller "mini" thread. I'm fairly certain that, left or right, there's not enough room
    outside of a
    1.37 thread for a fourteen freewheel.