Question on ameteur race scene in Melbourne

Walrus

Apr 4, 2004
I'm new to riding and enjoy working to targets, so I've been thinking about racing locally, but know nothing about it. I hear people say C-Grade, D-Grade etc, but I want to know what standard I need to aim for before thinking about going in such races.

- What format races are these?
- Are there leagues/seasons, multiple grades or regions?
- What the standard of these riders?

I average 100kms a week in Melbourne, usually beach road, eastern suburbs or out to Whittlesea and back. These trips range from 40-80km roundtrips. In a group of 3 or 4, I would average 27-31kmh on these rides of varying flatness.

Can someone give me a bit of a summary of the ameteur race scene in Melbourne

Walrus said:
I'm new to riding and enjoy working to targets, so I've been thinking about racing locally, but know nothing about it. I hear people say C-Grade, D-Grade etc, but I want to know what standard I need to aim for before thinking about going in such races.

I average 100kms a week in Melbourne, usually beach road, eastern suburbs or out to Whittlesea and back. These trips range from 40-80km roundtrips. In a group of 3 or 4, I would average 27-31kmh on these rides of varying flatness.

Can't speak for the Melbourne scene, but I was wondering the same thing as you only a few months ago. Now that I have voluminous racing experience (sic), I can tell you that C and D-grade will normally race for about an hour or so at most venues. On a flat-ish course, the bunch might average 35-38km/h. If you're averaging 31km on 40-80k rides by yourself, you'll probably be able to stay with the bunch. I'd say almost certainly in D-grade on a flat course, only maybe in C-grade over a rolling course. Whether you can win is another matter...

The only way is to have a go. I was afraid of (perceived) embarrassment of being dropped in D-grade. It didn't work out that way...

Go for it,
Ritch

>Walrus
>
>I'm new to riding and enjoy working to targets, so I've been thinking about >racing locally, but know nothing about it. I hear people say C-Grade, D->Grade etc, but I want to know what standard I need to aim for before >thinking about going in such races.

Enter a D-grade crit and then you'll know how fast (or slow) the pace is for
you. There's no point wondering about the pace because it always changes depending on the riders and course/conditions and you should enter D grade simply because you will need to learn some of the rules.

>What format races are these?

All kinds :) Does the FAQ cover this? Nope - it should :)

Google for "criterium", "road race", "time trial", etc.

>Are there leagues/seasons, multiple grades or regions?

Yes. Winter is generally road season with longer races in the hills whereas summer gets the criteriums (short, street circuit races) and track events.
Multiple grades (A, B, C, D, E) exist to support most rider levels.
Melbourne clubs include Blackburn, Carnegie Caulfield, St. Kilda, Hawthorn, Coburg and probably a few others. Where are you located?
Races can be on any day of the week. Longer races typically on weekends
with crits run by many clubs on nearly every night of the week during daylight
savings.

>What the standard of these riders?

**** to awesome. :)

>I average 100kms a week in Melbourne, usually beach road, eastern suburbs >or out to Whittlesea and back. These trips range from 40-80km roundtrips. >In a group of 3 or 4, I would average 27-31kmh on these rides of varying >flatness.

Sweet. Enter a D grade race and see what it's all about.
Any other questions, feel free to ask..

hippy

Walrus

Follow hippy's suggestion and just have a go; a good starting point might be the next Hawthorn Cycling Club Sunday morning crit at the Loop, Kew Boulevard (adjacent to Studley Park Rd); next race Sunday Aug 15. Rock up at 8:30 am and enter the D-grade race which is (I think) 30 mins + 3 laps or about 20 laps (~20km) all up. You'll probably need to join HCC and pay $25 - but that will let you ride in any HCC club race for the rest of the year. You'd need to pay a similar fee just for a day licence (ie 1 race only) at most other events. Go to www.hawthorrncycling.org for more details. These races are quite a bit "softer" than the standard club crits run in summer by the established clubs like St Kilda and Carnegie Caulfield, and a helluva lot easier (because shorter) than most road races.

From the sound of it you'll almost certainly be able to hang with the D grade pack although it might feel hard at first if you're not used to going flat chat for 30 mins. On the other hand you might leave the pack in your wake first time up the hill and lap them after 15 minutes. There's only one way to find out ....

Might see you there, good luck with whatever you try

Walrus said:

my perspective is a bit green and only half a step ahead of you as I did 4 criteriums at Kew after years of similar riding to yourself...

I noticed thes crits on Wed 6pm at Kew during summer (daylight saving!) and went along and watched one week. Asked the people who looked like they were in charge and they gave me the rundown. Got a club membership allowing me to race at their races (not others) before springing $180(hippy?) for a full racing licence in case my first race was my last...

I realised it was going to be hard, and this particular course apparently is harder than others...

Dgrade to start with
To get an idea beach road-wise, jump on the back of one of the bigger groups going by. Particularly heading north between Mordy and Brighton as the rolling slopes (hills is a bit of a stretch) break everybody apart.
The biggest shock to me was the fast-faster nature of it.
Dont get caught out at the back of the group (so Im told) otherwise you get dropped by the yo-yo effect out of every corner

Maybe go flat-stick for 30-40 minutes with your mates to get an idea of how hard/easy it is...

enjoy! I was amazed even after a few weeks how big the improvement in my fitness was...
some ride reports/ramblings...
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t99707.html
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t101952.html

flyingdutch said:
my perspective is a bit green and only half a step ahead of you as I did 4 criteriums at Kew after years of similar riding to yourself...

I noticed thes crits on Wed 6pm at Kew during summer (daylight saving!) and went along and watched one week. Asked the people who looked like they were in charge and they gave me the rundown. Got a club membership allowing me to race at their races (not others) before springing $180(hippy?) for a full racing licence in case my first race was my last...

I realised it was going to be hard, and this particular course apparently is harder than others...

Dgrade to start with
To get an idea beach road-wise, jump on the back of one of the bigger groups going by. Particularly heading north between Mordy and Brighton as the rolling slopes (hills is a bit of a stretch) break everybody apart.
The biggest shock to me was the fast-faster nature of it.
Dont get caught out at the back of the group (so Im told) otherwise you get dropped by the yo-yo effect out of every corner

Maybe go flat-stick for 30-40 minutes with your mates to get an idea of how hard/easy it is...

enjoy! I was amazed even after a few weeks how big the improvement in my fitness was...
some ride reports/ramblings...
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t99707.html
http://www.cyclingforums.com/t101952.html
Oh. and apparently that Bell noise has some relevance too (just dont ask ME what :) )

>Walrus
>a good starting point might be the next Hawthorn Cycling Club Sunday >morning crit at the Loop, Kew Boulevard (adjacent to Studley Park Rd); next >race Sunday Aug 15. Rock up at 8:30 am and enter the D-grade race which >is (I think) 30 mins + 3 laps or about 20 laps (~20km) all up. You'll probably

Gee.. I need an SMS "Future Races Broadcast" service!
I never remember to check other club calendars..

I've got to get some racing in.. I'm getting bored with winter commuting..

hippy

Wow, what a great response. I posted this message yesterday and then went home early to go for a ride (some of you may recall my previous post on my employer who let's me ride 1 day a week). Then I come in this morning to this excellent reply.

I live in Kew, so I'll definately check out the Hawthorn club scene, then go down and check out a couple of crits. Thanks everyone. :)

hippy said:
I checked out the links. I'm really close to the Kew Crits, so I might check em out. Can someone tell me what "Varies per grade 30 -> 45 mins + 3 laps" means?

I guess D grade would be 30 minutes, but what does the "+ 3 laps" mean

Walrus said:
I checked out the links. I'm really close to the Kew Crits, so I might check em out. Can someone tell me what "Varies per grade 30 -> 45 mins + 3 laps" means?

I guess D grade would be 30 minutes, but what does the "+ 3 laps" mean

Myth has it that you go around for 30 minutes, hear a Bell and then 3 laps to finish. listen up careful at the starting line as the commisaire will explain all the rules (starting line is at the hairpin bend, bottom of the hill)
FYI the few Dgrade races I have done here have been anywhere between 25-35kph up the hill. Do half an hour round there and try and maintain the same pace over 25kph. gives you some idea
wont prepare you for the pushing in to get on a good wheel stuff tho :rolleyes:

flyingdutch said:
Myth has it that you go around for 30 minutes, hear a Bell and then 3 laps to finish. listen up careful at the starting line as the commisaire will explain all the rules (starting line is at the hairpin bend, bottom of the hill)
FYI the few Dgrade races I have done here have been anywhere between 25-35kph up the hill. Do half an hour round there and try and maintain the same pace over 25kph. gives you some idea
wont prepare you for the pushing in to get on a good wheel stuff tho :rolleyes:
The Hawthorn CC site says that it's the Lower Loop, Melway ref 44 G4. Is it just that small loop? If so, how far is each lap approximately? I'd love to see if I could hold the speed.

Walrus said:
The Hawthorn CC site says that it's the Lower Loop, Melway ref 44 G4. Is it just that small loop? If so, how far is each lap approximately? I'd love to see if I could hold the speed.

Yep. the bit in between the start of Johnston St and Dight falls area

Im guessing each lap is about 1km but havent measured it...

flyingdutch said:
Yep. the bit in between the start of Johnston St and Dight falls area

Im guessing each lap is about 1km but havent measured it...
Thanks, you've been very helpful.

Walrus said:

Lap distance is almost exactly 1km. Fastest average speed I've had for a 45 minute race is about 35 kph which hurt like hell. If you try riding it solo, remember that in a race you would expect to average maybe 5kph faster due to drafting and riders taking turns to do the work.

By the way, racing is in the anti clockwise direction, ie opposite to normal traffic [of which there is none during a race ;) ]

Also watch out for (ie avoid) any furtive activity in the bushes if you go there on a non race day - that's a different sort of scene altogether!

Unregistered said:
Lap distance is almost exactly 1km. Fastest average speed I've had for a 45 minute race is about 35 kph which hurt like hell. If you try riding it solo, remember that in a race you would expect to average maybe 5kph faster due to drafting and riders taking turns to do the work.

By the way, racing is in the anti clockwise direction, ie opposite to normal traffic [of which there is none during a race ;) ]

Also watch out for (ie avoid) any furtive activity in the bushes if you go there on a non race day - that's a different sort of scene altogether!
What sort of rules apply in the race?

"Walrus" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]
> Unregistered Wrote:

[...]

>> By the way, racing is in the anti clockwise direction, ie opposite to
>> normal traffic [of which there is none during a race ;) ]

> What sort of rules apply in the race?

Ever see "Rollerball"?

--

A: Top-posters.
Q: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?