Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Question on bike seat

Started by Mp · · Last activity · 5 posts · 734 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
25 May 2004
Last activity
26 May 2004
Original author
Mp
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
734
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I have a slim bike seat on my mountain bike. My butt gets
    pretty sore riding it (albeit, at the beginning of the
    season before I'm "used" to it).

    I'm just wondering if there is any danger or health problems
    from using such a seat. The bones in my butt are pretty sore
    today (I went biking yesterday morning) and feel like
    bruising. Is there any danger of getting hemhoroids (sp?)
    from bike seats? I know that you can get them if the sitting
    surface is hard.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    TIA, MP

  2. "MP" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The bones in my butt are pretty sore today (I went biking
    yesterday morning) and feel like bruising.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Double check your saddle height. 9/10 this is an indication
    that it is too high.

    Good Luck!

  3. How do I know if it's too high? What is the angle that I
    should have with my knee for optimal seat height? Right now
    when I pedal, I use the forward part of my foot (towards the
    toes) and my legs extend almost all the way (angle of my
    knee is almost 180 degree).

    Is this correct?

    TIA

    "TM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "MP" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    The bones in my butt are pretty sore today (I went biking
    yesterday morning) and feel like bruising.


    <snip>

    Quoted message said:

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Double check your saddle height. 9/10 this is an
    indication that it is


    too

    Quoted message said:

    high.

    Good Luck!

  4. "MP" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    How do I know if it's too high?

    Pain like you're having is one clue.

    Quoted message said:

    What is the angle that I should have with my knee for
    optimal seat height?

    Warmed up, on a trainer. Pedal at the 6 o'clock position,
    foot level. A 35 degree flex in the knee is a good ballpark
    (about 145 degrees to your way of thinking.)

    Right now when I pedal, I use the forward part

    Quoted message said:

    of my foot (towards the toes)

    If you are using regular pedals (not clipless), then the
    ball of your foot is fine.

    and my legs extend almost all the way (angle

    Quoted message said:

    of my knee is almost 180 degree).

    Is this correct?

    No. You would do better with more of a bend. Bike fit
    involves a lot of trial and error. Perhaps your bike shop
    can help you fine tune your position, but I would guess that
    dropping your saddle may do the trick in alleviating some of
    the discomfort you are currently experiencing.

    There are a lot of great sites that have bike fit
    information. Do a quick search and you'll learn a lot.

  5. Thanks, found some stuff that I started reading on
    this topic.

    "TM" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "MP" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    How do I know if it's too high?

    Pain like you're having is one clue.

    Quoted message said:

    What is the angle that I should have with my knee for
    optimal seat height?

    Warmed up, on a trainer. Pedal at the 6 o'clock position,
    foot level. A


    35

    Quoted message said:

    degree flex in the knee is a good ballpark (about 145
    degrees to your way


    of

    Quoted message said:

    thinking.)

    Right now when I pedal, I use the forward part

    Quoted message said:

    of my foot (towards the toes)

    If you are using regular pedals (not clipless), then the
    ball of your foot is fine.

    and my legs extend almost all the way (angle

    Quoted message said:

    of my knee is almost 180 degree).

    Is this correct?

    No. You would do better with more of a bend. Bike fit
    involves a lot of trial and error. Perhaps your bike shop
    can help you fine tune your position, but I would guess
    that dropping your saddle may do the trick in alleviating
    some of the discomfort you are currently experiencing.

    There are a lot of great sites that have bike fit
    information. Do a quick search and you'll learn a lot.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.