Question on Bike Shoes and the use of orthotics

Taskmaxter

Apr 9, 2004
All,
This is probably an easy question to answer, but I have to ask. I presently use custom orthotics in my day to day shoes. When buying my first set of Road Bike shoes, should I be looking to use my orthotics in them as well or not? Just curious on what the skinny is on this.
Thanks,
Task

Originally posted by Taskmaxter
All,
This is probably an easy question to answer, but I have to ask. I presently use custom orthotics in my day to day shoes. When buying my first set of Road Bike shoes, should I be looking to use my orthotics in them as well or not? Just curious on what the skinny is on this.
Thanks,
Task

With them in is the recomended practice unless you luck out like me, where I found a set of shoes that fit perfectly thus negating the need for them. I would recomend that you check with your foot doctor first though. Hope this helps

All,
Thanks,
Task

I think it is one of those "your milage may vary" kind of things. I have worn orthotics for over 20 years in my day to day shoes but never in a bike shoe. I think I am correct in doing so because the foot is locked into one position on the pedal but I don't know if that is justification or not - feet don't hurt after long rides.:D

All,
Thanks,
Task

I did some looking on the internet and also heard from other people that running orthotics are different from one's that would be needed for cycling. I opted to get an over the counter pair from performance bike, due to the high ratings it received. Seems to do a good job preventing my foot roll.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=2947

I was told that it is more important for bike shoes because your foot IS locked into place.

I'd suggest you get some professional advice.

Originally posted by davef
I was told that it is more important for bike shoes because your foot IS locked into place.

I'd suggest you get some professional advice.

I agree you need professional advice. After I got the orthotics I had my cleats adjusted by my LBS for $20. Most problems occur from poorly adjusted cleats. They used a fit kit to do the cleats.

Originally posted by mindeman87
I did some looking on the internet and also heard from other people that running orthotics are different from one's that would be needed for cycling. I opted to get an over the counter pair from performance bike, due to the high ratings it received. Seems to do a good job preventing my foot roll.

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/Profile.cfm?SKU=2947

Please let us know how you like them, I have always been curious if they were worthwile, the footbed of the Sidi Genius 4 is pretty basic and I think could be improved.