General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Question on Calories

Started by Passionofdarwin · · Last activity · 108 posts · 9,701 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
11 March 2004
Last activity
11 April 2004
Original author
Passionofdarwin
Posts
108
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
9,701
Views / 30 days
0
Topics

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–80 of 108
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Laurel Amberdine said:
    Mxsmanic said:
    Laurel Amberdine said:

    There's me, and while I am certainly weird, I am probably
    not the only one.

    You are not an exception to the rule.

    Oh good. Then I shouldn't have any problems.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    If I drop my calories I (sequentially):

    (1) start to feel extremely bad
    (2) get invaded by a virus
    (3) develop an irregular heartbeat
    (4) start fainting

    ...all without having lost any weight.

    Whatever this may be, it has nothing to do with
    weight loss.

    Then... why does it only happen when I either increase my
    exercise or decrease my calories? And why does it only
    occur when I cannot lose weight? (In the past I have been
    able to succesfully drop fat. This situation only occurs
    when I am unusually stressed.)

    You sound like me two years ago. I couldn't lose weight no
    matter what I did.

    But I wasn't doing the right things, so it sort of
    makes sense.

    The main thing I did was change my mind. I decided I didn't
    want to be fat anymore so I was going to do what it took to
    stop being fat. I didn't use willpower, I didn't use
    discipline, I used my own values as guidelines.

    I started doing high intensity interval training three days
    a week and lifting weights three days a week and eating 5 or
    6 times a day (keeping calories at 8 to 10x my weight (in
    pounds) with roughly 1/3 of my calories coming from each
    macronutrient.

    I slowly repaired my insulin resistance, hypoglycemia and
    eventually my obesity. I also made this into a way of life.

    I'm still losing weight, but so far I've gone from 244 to
    179 pounds, a tight size 22 to a size 14. I've lost 10
    inches off my waist. It is truly astounding.

    And I sounded JUST LIKE YOU two years ago.

    Now I believe that people stay fat because they choose to.
    That's okay
    with me, they get to choose. But when you choose to stop
    being fat you
    can figure out how to do it. It doesn't turn out to be
    rocket science.
    You may take some adjusting here and there to work out the
    details for
    yourself, but it really does come down to eating less and
    exercising more.

    Dally

  2. PassionOfDarwin said:

    My husband is 5 foot 8 inches and weighs 220 pounds. He
    walks 2 miles a day, at a slow or moderate pace. I have
    some questions about calories and dieting.

    How many calories would he burn per mile?

    See caloriesperhour.comcaloriesperhour.com

    Quoted message said:

    How many calories would he normally need each day?

    Many recommend 8x - 10x body weight for weight loss so 1760
    - 2200 calories per day would be the right ballpark.

    Quoted message said:


    How many calories are in each pound of fat on him?

    1 pound = 3500 calories

    Quoted message said:


    How many calories should he take in daily, to lose 2
    pounds per week?

    For a loss of 2 pounds per week he'd need to reduce his
    intake by 7000 calories per week or 1000 calories per day.

    --
    jmk in NC

  3. Mxsmanic said:
    Laurel Amberdine said:

    Um, too fat? About 75 lbs overweight, as far as I can
    tell. Even considering possible error, there's still some
    significant fat to lose.

    It's also a significant health risk.

    I know, which is why I am interested in doing so.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I only mentioned to him the fact that I keep coming down
    with a cold every time I try to lose weight. I don't let
    it get further than that anymore.

    What do you mean when you say "I don't let it get
    further"?

    I stop exercising and eat a little bit more, at least until
    I get over the cold.

    --
    - Laurel * * * amberdine.comamberdine.com

  4. Dally said:
    Laurel Amberdine said:


    Then... why does it only happen when I either increase my
    exercise or decrease my calories? And why does it only
    occur when I cannot lose weight? (In the past I have been
    able to succesfully drop fat. This situation only occurs
    when I am unusually stressed.)

    I slowly repaired my insulin resistance, hypoglycemia
    and eventually my obesity. I also made this into a way
    of life.

    I'm still losing weight, but so far I've gone from 244 to
    179 pounds, a tight size 22 to a size 14. I've lost 10
    inches off my waist. It is truly astounding.

    And I sounded JUST LIKE YOU two years ago.

    Now I believe that people stay fat because they choose to.
    That's okay
    with me, they get to choose. But when you choose to stop
    being fat you
    can figure out how to do it. It doesn't turn out to be
    rocket science.
    You may take some adjusting here and there to work out the
    details for
    yourself, but it really does come down to eating less and
    exercising more.

    Actually, I do know this.

    I used to be much more fat. Then I began running, and
    eventually was running about ~2 hours a day. I lost over 90
    lbs. I developed a problem with my left foot, which makes it
    so I cannot run very much.

    I have been slowly regaining weight ever since. This has, in
    the past few months, become more noticable, as there were a
    lot of stressful incidents, which cut into my "normal" (if
    less than I'd like) running schedule of 30 minutes, 3x/week.
    It lead to a rather quick 5lb gain, which was really
    noticable.

    So I decided this had to stop. I began to eat less,
    measuring everything, recording what I ate, and adding
    exercise to two other days a week.

    I got a cold after about four days. Bleah. Had to stop
    exercising. Went back to eating at a more maintenance level.

    Tried again a couple weeks later. Same thing, reduced diet,
    a smidge more exercise. Came down with a stomach virus.
    Didn't wind up eating at all because I was too nauseous.
    Took about three weeks to get over that.

    Tried *again* just two weeks ago. This time just diet (and a
    couple hundred more calories a day). And no additional
    exercise, just my normal three runs. Got a cold.

    ARRGH! I hadn't had a cold in over three years. I hadn't had
    stomach flu in.... geez, 20 years? Maybe this is a
    coincidence, but I don't want to play with it. I have
    asthma; getting a cold is not a trivial thing.

    Now, this trying-to-lose-weight-leading-to-an-illness used
    to happen to me many years ago too, though it took me a long
    time to see the pattern. I don't know why, when I first
    started running, I managed to do okay. I don't know what's
    different, except maybe my ambient stress level.

    I thought someone might know, I don't know, a supplement,
    or suggest that I might not be eating enough X, or
    whatever. I guess I'm sorry to have asked. I'll go try to
    figure it out myself.

    (Now, though I don't want to get into detail, I do have a
    long history strange health problems and food sensitivities.
    I used to feel sick 95% of the time. Through a lot of
    research and some people's help on this very newsgroup, I
    figured out how to take care of that -- I take magnesium and
    fish oil, and I don't eat loads of carbohydrates, and now
    I'm okay, in that regard at least.)

    --
    - Laurel * * * amberdine.comamberdine.com

  5. Doug Freese said:
    Laurel Amberdine said:

    I just spent too much time online today and I'm cranky.
    Sorry. (BTW, I remember you from rec.running. Hi!)

    Hi and it's not that I have never been considered cranky
    either, ask TC. 🙂 I simply find it hard to believe there
    isn't something amiss.

    Oh, of course there's something amiss. I just don't know
    what. I thought there was a possibility of nutritional
    deficit. Thus, my question.

    Quoted message said:

    I sense your frustration and don't want you to accept
    this food exercise relationship i.e. excess weight as
    your fate.

    Sigh. Me neither.

    Quoted message said:

    I at least hope your doctor is an alleged (my choice of
    words) specialist and not a garden variety GP although
    the suggestion to drink more water leaves me arid. I
    would at least expect an instant 5 pound loss from the
    lab people pulling blood searching for an explanation.

    Hee. He's just a "family doctor". I go to him to get refills
    for my prescriptions, which requires regular check ups.
    Since I was there, I asked. I didn't expect this issue to be
    something he could address well.

    Quoted message said:

    A dear friend had lymes and it took her doctor 9 months to
    diagnose even after she insisted she only started having
    problems after she got the lymes shot. I'm suggesting that
    if your current doctor's final answer is to drink more
    water, then look for another opinion.

    He did also suggest 15 minutes of exercise a day. I'm not
    clear on whether he meant *only* 15, or at least 15. Hmm.

    Quoted message said:

    Good luck!!!

    Thank you. I'll figure it out eventually, dangit. I'm not
    giving up.

    Quoted message said:

    The sad part, there used to be a set of MD's hanging out
    here that would lend some thoughts or direction but most
    of them have left cajoled by the quacks with agendas and
    no science. You might try sci.med for a lead. Hopefully
    the quacks haven't taken over that group.

    Oh, hmm. Yeah, I suppose. Thanks.

    --
    - Laurel * * * amberdine.comamberdine.com

  6. Mxsmanic said:

    Laurel Amberdine writes:

    If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you will ALWAYS
    lose weight.

    Quoted message said:

    There may be another option.

    There are no other options. You cannot eat less than you
    burn without losing weight. If you don't take in enough
    fuel to keep your body running, your body will burn fat
    (mostly) to get the fuel it needs. If you have no fat to
    burn, you'll die of starvation very quickly if you don't
    eat all the calories you need.

    It was the dying option I was thinking of. 🙁

    Quoted message said:

    I wouldn't know. But I do know that physical systems obey
    certain laws, and among those are the laws of
    thermodynamics, and these laws govern weight loss. If you
    eat less than you burn, you lose weight, and that is
    absolute, no exceptions.

    I'm kind of a physics geek, so I both understand and admire
    the concept. I'm not trying to speculate about some
    metaphysical force keeping me from using calories.

    --
    - Laurel * * * amberdine.comamberdine.com

  7. Most fat people just don't know how to lose weight or have
    the encouragement to stay on track. This is where the groups
    like WW come in for the support and enthusiasm

    Love the pound clarification...LOL

    "Dally" <[email hidden]> wrote in message -"]news:[email hidden]-
    berlin.de...

    Quoted message said:
    Laurel Amberdine said:

    On Sun, 14 Mar 2004 22:36:47 +0100, Mxsmanic
    <[email hidden]>


    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    Laurel Amberdine writes:

    >There's me, and while I am certainly weird, I am
    >probably not the only one.

    You are not an exception to the rule.

    Oh good. Then I shouldn't have any problems.

    Quoted message said:

    >If I drop my calories I (sequentially):
    >
    >(1) start to feel extremely bad
    >(2) get invaded by a virus
    >(3) develop an irregular heartbeat
    >(4) start fainting
    >
    >...all without having lost any weight.

    Whatever this may be, it has nothing to do with
    weight loss.

    Then... why does it only happen when I either increase
    my exercise or decrease my calories? And why does it
    only occur when I cannot lose weight? (In the past I
    have been able to succesfully drop fat. This situation
    only occurs when I am unusually stressed.)

    You sound like me two years ago. I couldn't lose weight no
    matter what I did.

    But I wasn't doing the right things, so it sort of
    makes sense.

    The main thing I did was change my mind. I decided I
    didn't want to be fat anymore so I was going to do what it
    took to stop being fat. I didn't use willpower, I didn't
    use discipline, I used my own values as guidelines.

    I started doing high intensity interval training three
    days a week and lifting weights three days a week and
    eating 5 or 6 times a day (keeping calories at 8 to 10x my
    weight (in pounds) with roughly 1/3 of my calories coming
    from each macronutrient.

    I slowly repaired my insulin resistance, hypoglycemia
    and eventually my obesity. I also made this into a way
    of life.

    I'm still losing weight, but so far I've gone from 244 to
    179 pounds, a tight size 22 to a size 14. I've lost 10
    inches off my waist. It is truly astounding.

    And I sounded JUST LIKE YOU two years ago.

    Now I believe that people stay fat because they choose to.
    That's okay
    with me, they get to choose. But when you choose to stop
    being fat you
    can figure out how to do it. It doesn't turn out to be
    rocket science.
    You may take some adjusting here and there to work out the
    details for
    yourself, but it really does come down to eating less and
    exercising more.

    Dally

  8. Always need that water to flush the fat out, aid in
    catabolic processes and fill up the tummy sometimes.

    "Laurel Amberdine" <[email hidden]> wrote in message -"]news:[email hidden]-
    berlin.de...

    Quoted message said:
    Dally said:
    Laurel Amberdine said:


    Then... why does it only happen when I either increase
    my exercise or decrease my calories? And why does it
    only occur when I cannot lose weight? (In the past I
    have been able to succesfully drop fat. This situation
    only occurs when I am unusually stressed.)

    I slowly repaired my insulin resistance, hypoglycemia
    and eventually my obesity. I also made this into a way
    of life.

    I'm still losing weight, but so far I've gone from 244
    to 179 pounds, a tight size 22 to a size 14. I've lost
    10 inches off my waist. It is truly astounding.

    And I sounded JUST LIKE YOU two years ago.

    Now I believe that people stay fat because they choose
    to. That's okay with me, they get to choose. But when
    you choose to stop being fat you can figure out how to
    do it. It doesn't turn out to be rocket science. You may
    take some adjusting here and there to work out the
    details for yourself, but it really does come down to
    eating less and exercising


    more.

    Quoted message said:


    Actually, I do know this.

    I used to be much more fat. Then I began running, and
    eventually was running about ~2 hours a day. I lost over
    90 lbs. I developed a problem with my left foot, which
    makes it so I cannot run very much.

    I have been slowly regaining weight ever since. This has,
    in the past few months, become more noticable, as there
    were a lot of stressful incidents, which cut into my
    "normal" (if less than I'd like) running schedule of 30
    minutes, 3x/week. It lead to a rather quick 5lb gain,
    which was really noticable.

    So I decided this had to stop. I began to eat less,
    measuring everything, recording what I ate, and adding
    exercise to two other days a week.

    I got a cold after about four days. Bleah. Had to
    stop exercising. Went back to eating at a more
    maintenance level.

    Tried again a couple weeks later. Same thing, reduced
    diet, a smidge more exercise. Came down with a stomach
    virus. Didn't wind up eating at all because I was too
    nauseous. Took about three weeks to get over that.

    Tried *again* just two weeks ago. This time just diet (and
    a couple hundred more calories a day). And no additional
    exercise, just my normal three runs. Got a cold.

    ARRGH! I hadn't had a cold in over three years. I hadn't
    had stomach flu in.... geez, 20 years? Maybe this is a
    coincidence, but I don't want to play with it. I have
    asthma; getting a cold is not a trivial thing.

    Now, this trying-to-lose-weight-leading-to-an-illness used
    to happen to me many years ago too, though it took me a
    long time to see the pattern. I don't know why, when I
    first started running, I managed to do okay. I don't know
    what's different, except maybe my ambient stress level.

    I thought someone might know, I don't know, a supplement,
    or suggest that I might not be eating enough X, or
    whatever. I guess I'm sorry to have asked. I'll go try to
    figure it out myself.

    (Now, though I don't want to get into detail, I do have a
    long history strange health problems and food
    sensitivities. I used to feel sick 95% of the time.
    Through a lot of research and some people's help on this
    very newsgroup, I figured out how to take care of that --
    I take magnesium and fish oil, and I don't eat loads of
    carbohydrates, and now I'm okay, in that regard at least.)

    --
    - Laurel * * * amberdine.comamberdine.com

  9. All the docs are over at misc.health.alternative making
    asses of themselves with what they don't know. Seriously.

    "Doug Freese" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Laurel Amberdine said:

    I just spent too much time online today and I'm cranky.
    Sorry. (BTW, I remember you from rec.running. Hi!)

    Hi and it's not that I have never been considered cranky
    either, ask TC. 🙂 I simply find it hard to believe there
    isn't something amiss. I sense your frustration and don't
    want you to accept this food exercise relationship i.e.
    excess weight as your fate. I at least hope your doctor is
    an alleged (my choice of words) specialist and not a
    garden variety GP although the suggestion to drink more
    water leaves me arid. I would at least expect an instant 5
    pound loss from the lab people pulling blood searching for
    an explanation.

    A dear friend had lymes and it took her doctor 9 months to
    diagnose even after she insisted she only started having
    problems after she got the lymes shot. I'm suggesting that
    if your current doctor's final answer is to drink more
    water, then look for another opinion. Good luck!!!

    The sad part, there used to be a set of MD's hanging out
    here that would lend some thoughts or direction but most
    of them have left cajoled by the quacks with agendas and
    no science. You might try sci.med for a lead. Hopefully
    the quacks haven't taken over that group.

    --
    Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" [email hidden]

  10. Pizza Girl said:

    All the docs are over at misc.health.alternative making
    asses of themselves with what they don't know. Seriously.

    Why, because they don't your toxin BS?

    --
    Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" [email hidden]

  11. Type more slowly. Your mind is showing.

    "Doug Freese" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Pizza Girl said:

    All the docs are over at misc.health.alternative making
    asses of


    themselves

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    with what they don't know. Seriously.

    Why, because they don't your toxin BS?

    --
    Doug Freese "Caveat Lector" [email hidden]

  12. [email hidden] wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    I don't want you to go away, just provide the scientific
    evidence on which you base your new theory of weight
    status without reference to calorie status. I don't want
    to quibble about the existence of past research which
    manipulates calories for various research ends and
    illustrate the relationship to weight status, they exist.
    Here is but one, the easiest to recall and put my hands
    on, as requested, one time free subscription required:

    medscape.com469768 3

    There is much evidence to, at the very least, question the
    validity of directly applying the math of calories to weight
    management. There was the one study that showed that low-
    carbers can eat as much as 300 cals more than low-fat
    doeters and still lose the same or more weight. If you
    contend that the laws of thermo are *directly* applicable to
    the human body in terms of direct mathematical weight
    management then this is the example that disproves it.

    The simple matter is that if restricting calories were all
    that mattered, then anyone, and I mean ANYONE could easily
    lose weight any time they wanted to. It is so easy to go a
    few days or weeks and simply moderately restrict all food
    intake that virtually anyone could do it. But it remains
    that 60% or so of the american public is obese, including a
    huge number of people who genuinely attempt to restrict
    calories and actually succeed in restricting calories but
    always seem to fail in actually losing weight in the end.

    Quoted message said:


    It says in short that there are many factors as to the
    specific effect of amount of calories in and metabolism of
    same and the final weight loss. There is no surprise here,
    all human biological activities exibit themselves in a
    bell curve.

    The bell curve. Glad you brought that up. A number of
    studies have indicated that as many as 95% to 98% of those
    who restrict fat and calories fail to lose weight.
    Statistically that means that restricting calories fails to
    the third standard deviation. The curve is upside down. At
    first glance one could almost argue that restricting
    calories actually causes weight gain and vice versa. But if
    you look a bit closer and beyond just the numbers of
    calories you will see that the method employed to lose
    weight involves restricting fats and proteins and
    increasing the consumption of carbs, and more often than
    not refined carbs. Hence my argument that macro-nutrient
    intake impacts hormones(insulin/glucagon) which impacts
    weight gain and fat storage.

    But, if you read the article, in a controlled

    Quoted message said:

    situation where input is measured in a controlled in
    hospital situation, all lost weight with lower calories.
    Because of the range of variation to x amount of calories
    in/out and weight status, we cann't conclude that the
    in/out notion fails, just that there are real limits to
    the in/out and the final result in all people is a
    change in weight status. Knowing this biological
    reality doesn't disprove the calorie in/out approach to
    creating a plan to lose or gain weight, it just says
    what the most usual result is for the great majority of
    folk who fall in the wide middle of the curve;ie. 500
    cal/day/week = 1 lb lost. I suggest you read the entire
    series, parts 1 and 2:

    medscape.com470747

    medscape.com469768

    I suggest you read the "current concensus" link on the
    first url above as the basis by which you frame the
    extraordinary evidence which displases that concensus.

    The current consensus has been wrong for generations. Is
    that possible? Many of us believe so. Why? Because the
    consensus has failed. If the consensus were correct, then
    obesity would not be a problem for those willing to apply a
    modicum of effort to lose weight, but we know that even
    those who work hard at losing weight by restricting calories
    are more likely to fail then they are to succeed.

    Studies are showing, consistently I may add, that low-
    carb works significantly better than low-fat. That is now
    an acknowledged fact. The low-fat ideologist must now
    explain what the science is behind their failed program.
    We are beyond the stage where the low-carb group needs to
    explain anything.

    So, show us one or more of the following:

    1) The seminal study or series of studies that established
    once and for all that calories are directly applicable to
    the typical human in terms of weight gain or loss.

    2) The names(s) of the ground breaking researcher(s) that
    came up with this breakthrough finding.

    or

    3) The definitive proof to support the calorie concept in
    any form whatsoever.

    or

    4) A clear and precise explanation of the exact biological
    process that occurs in the human body that triggers fat
    storage or fat usage in direct response to calorie
    intake. How does the body respond to a low-calorie diet
    to cause it to burn fat and how does it respond to a high-
    calorie diet that causes the body to store fat and how
    does it know what state it is in. I want the basic
    metabolic pathways, the specific bio-chemical responses
    and the trigger mechanism that causes the fat cells to
    stor or burn fat.

    The ball is in the court of the low-calorie camp. It is time
    put your money where your mouth is. Low-carbers, including
    myself, have done what they can to make their argument. And
    all the low-fatters have done is a bunch of high-handed
    arrogant derision and name-calling. Put up or shut up.

    TC

  13. tcomeau said:

    It does not require extraordinary proof when the initial
    theory itself was never proven.

    The initial theory is proved every day.

    Quoted message said:

    If it was indeed "proven" then such an important
    breakthrough would be well known to all in terms of when
    and who proved it.

    And it is.

    Quoted message said:

    Please provide me this info and I will meekly go away.

    Go to any hospital or clinic and take a look. The principles
    of weight loss are as well known and as well established as
    any in medicine.

    Quoted message said:

    Give me the study and the name of the researcher who
    proved with certainty that calories could be used to
    accurately predict weight loss or gain in humans. Should
    be easy, since it is such a fundamental principle in
    nutrition.

    Just about every doctor has seen the proof. So has anyone
    who has actually undertaken a truly hypocaloric diet.

    Show me the study and the name of the researcher who proved
    with certainty that the sun actually rises in the east.

    --
    Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach
    me directly.

  14. tcomeau said:

    There is much evidence to, at the very least, question the
    validity of directly applying the math of calories to
    weight management. There was the one study that showed
    that low-carbers can eat as much as 300 cals more than low-
    fat doeters and still lose the same or more weight.

    The source of calories is irrelevant. All that matters is
    the size of the deficit. A deficit of 500 kcal (that is,
    eating 500 kcal less than the body requires) per day will
    produce a weight loss of 1 lb per week, in everyone, no
    matter what their source of calories.

    Incidentally, if you are asking for specific links to
    studies, then you should also provide specific links to the
    ones you cite, and not simply refer to "the one study."

    Quoted message said:

    If you contend that the laws of thermo are *directly*
    applicable to the human body in terms of direct
    mathematical weight management then this is the example
    that disproves it.

    There is no study such as you describe. Everything obeys the
    laws of thermodynamics.

    Quoted message said:

    The simple matter is that if restricting calories were all
    that mattered, then anyone, and I mean ANYONE could easily
    lose weight any time they wanted to.

    And that is exactly the case. Eat less than you burn, and
    you'll lose weight. Always. No exceptions.

    Quoted message said:

    It is so easy to go a few days or weeks and simply
    moderately restrict all food intake that virtually anyone
    could do it.

    Exactly.

    Quoted message said:

    But it remains that 60% or so of the american public is
    obese, including a huge number of people who genuinely
    attempt to restrict calories and actually succeed in
    restricting calories but always seem to fail in actually
    losing weight in the end.

    That's because they start overeating again.

    Quoted message said:

    The bell curve. Glad you brought that up. A number of
    studies have indicated that as many as 95% to 98% of those
    who restrict fat and calories fail to lose weight.

    Nobody on a hypocaloric diet fails to lose weight.

    Remember, provide the links to your studies, not just "a
    number of studies." You wanted specific references, so it's
    up to you to practice what you preach.

    Quoted message said:

    Statistically that means that restricting calories fails
    to the third standard deviation.

    Hypocaloric diets never fail.

    Quoted message said:

    At first glance one could almost argue that restricting
    calories actually causes weight gain and vice versa.

    It's important to look beyond a first glance.

    Quoted message said:

    But if you look a bit closer and beyond just the numbers
    of calories you will see that the method employed to lose
    weight involves restricting fats and proteins and
    increasing the consumption of carbs, and more often than
    not refined carbs.

    The source of calories has nothing to do with weight loss.

    Quoted message said:

    Hence my argument that macro-nutrient intake impacts
    hormones(insulin/glucagon) which impacts weight gain and
    fat storage.

    Total calories is all that matters in weight loss.

    Quoted message said:

    The current consensus has been wrong for generations.

    Because you say so?

    Quoted message said:

    Is that possible? Many of us believe so.

    It's possible, but believing it is so doesn't make it so.
    Where are your references?

    Quoted message said:

    Why? Because the consensus has failed.

    The consensus has not failed. Hypocaloric diets always
    produce weight loss.

    Quoted message said:

    If the consensus were correct, then obesity would not be a
    problem for those willing to apply a modicum of effort to
    lose weight, but we know that even those who work hard at
    losing weight by restricting calories are more likely to
    fail then they are to succeed.

    There are no such people. Anyone who follows a hypocaloric
    diet will lose weight. People who claim to follow such a
    diet and yet do not lose weight are either lying or counting
    calories inaccurately.

    Quoted message said:

    Studies are showing, consistently I may add, that low-carb
    works significantly better than low-fat.

    Low-calorie is the only type of diet that works. Whether the
    calories are carbohydrates or fat is irrelevant.

    Quoted message said:

    That is now an acknowledged fact.

    No, it isn't. Where are your references?

    Quoted message said:

    We are beyond the stage where the low-carb group needs to
    explain anything.

    The low-carb group seems to be somewhat of a cult.
    Mainstream medical science recognizes that only hypocaloric
    diets produce weight loss.

    Quoted message said:

    So, show us one or more of the following:

    Wait a minute ... where are _your_ references? You keep
    asking for references, but you've provided virtually none of
    your own. Why the double standard?

    Quoted message said:

    1) The seminal study or series of studies that established
    once and for all that calories are directly applicable
    to the typical human in terms of weight gain or loss.

    There is no "seminal study." It has been self-evident for as
    long as medicine has existed. Just as there is no "seminal
    study" that proves that the sun rises each day, there is no
    single study that establishes that hypocaloric diets produce
    weight loss. It is too obvious to merit a study. However,
    studies have been done that prove the principle under
    tightly controlled conditions, again and again.

    Quoted message said:

    4) A clear and precise explanation of the exact biological
    process that occurs in the human body that triggers fat
    storage or fat usage in direct response to calorie
    intake.

    Not required.

    The human body expends a certain amount of energy each day
    to remain alive. The only source of this energy is air and
    dietary calories. Everyone breathes continuously, so air
    supply is a constant. The only variable is the intake of
    dietary calories. If this intake exceeds the energy
    requirements of the body, excess calories are either
    excreted or stored, usually as glycogen or fat (which
    produces weight gain). If the intake is insufficient to meet
    the body's energy requirements, the body will turn to stored
    energy in the form of glucose, glycogen, fat and protein, in
    roughly that order--and this produces weight loss as the
    stored energy sources are consumed. If no stored energy is
    available and the intake remains hypocaloric, death results.

    Quoted message said:

    How does the body respond to a low-calorie diet to cause
    it to burn fat ...

    See above.

    Quoted message said:

    ... and how does it respond to a high-calorie diet that
    causes the body to store fat ...

    See above.

    Quoted message said:

    ... and how does it know what state it is in.

    Over the short term, by monitoring nutrient status in the
    blood. For example, falling glucose levels trigger processes
    that release glucose into the blood, such as conversion of
    glycogen to glucose.

    Quoted message said:

    I want the basic metabolic pathways, the specific bio-
    chemical responses and the trigger mechanism that causes
    the fat cells to stor or burn fat.

    All of these are abundantly documented in many medical
    texts. There is no point in duplicating them here,
    particularly since even the basic pathways are complex.

    Quoted message said:

    The ball is in the court of the low-calorie camp.

    The efficacy of hypocaloric diets in producing weight loss
    is not disputed by anyone in the medical community. As I've
    said, it's about as uncertain as sunrise.

    Quoted message said:

    It is time put your money where your mouth is.

    I've seen more references by your opponents than from
    yourself already.

    Quoted message said:

    Low-carbers, including myself, have done what they can to
    make their argument.

    In that case, you are not likely to persuade anyone.

    Quoted message said:

    And all the low-fatters have done is a bunch of high-
    handed arrogant derision and name-calling. Put up or
    shut up.

    Who has said anything about low fat? Hypocaloric diets
    produce weight loss. It doesn't matter where the calories
    come from.

    --
    Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach
    me directly.

  15. Mxsmanic said:
    tcomeau said:

    It does not require extraordinary proof when the initial
    theory itself was never proven.

    The initial theory is proved every day.

    Quoted message said:

    If it was indeed "proven" then such an important
    breakthrough would be well known to all in terms of when
    and who proved it.

    And it is.

    Quoted message said:

    Please provide me this info and I will meekly go away.

    Go to any hospital or clinic and take a look. The
    principles of weight loss are as well known and as well
    established as any in medicine.

    Quoted message said:

    Give me the study and the name of the researcher who
    proved with certainty


    that

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    calories could be used to accurately predict weight loss
    or gain in humans. Should be easy, since it is such a
    fundamental principle in nutrition.

    Just about every doctor has seen the proof. So has anyone
    who has actually undertaken a truly hypocaloric diet.

    Show me the study and the name of the researcher who proved
    with certainty that the sun actually rises in the east.

    --
    Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to
    reach me directly.


    you don't have to do away with cals to lose weight, with
    proper sleep, exercise, metabolism, will bburn fat, protein
    will build muscles, but with sleep deprivation, one will eat
    more cals next day, as sugar and fatty foods hoping to
    recover from the loss.

  16. [email hidden] wrote in message news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Two things in responce, the calorie balance to account for
    weight status has been demonstrated, the original request,
    that point is now mute. Second, the only long term studies
    comparing various diet approaches shows that at the year
    mark weight status was similar for all and that the drop
    out rate was similar for all. Most of the responce, see
    reference article, took on the nature of strawmen type
    arguments. All the mention that folk are over weight and
    it is due to faulty science on the topic falls flat.
    People are over weight because they consume more energy
    then is required for metabolism and tissue repair. Atkins
    never claimed his presentation, he didn't invent the
    notion, was an exception to science, just that it made
    weight loss somewhat easier. All of the human reasons for
    consuming excess calories remains even with his model, as
    the long term studies amply show and people will regain
    weight for all the reasons people do on all diets, they
    stop doing it. When they resume eating more calories, they
    gain weight.

    So, show us one or more of the following:

    1) The seminal study or series of studies that established
    once and for all that calories are directly applicable to
    the typical human in terms of weight gain or loss.

    2) The names(s) of the ground breaking researcher(s) that
    came up with this breakthrough finding.

    or

    3) The definitive proof to support the calorie concept in
    any form whatsoever.

    or

    4) A clear and precise explanation of the exact biological
    process that occurs in the human body that triggers fat
    storage or fat usage in direct response to calorie
    intake. How does the body respond to a low-calorie diet
    to cause it to burn fat and how does it respond to a high-
    calorie diet that causes the body to store fat and how
    does it know what state it is in. I want the basic
    metabolic pathways, the specific bio-chemical responses
    and the trigger mechanism that causes the fat cells to
    stor or burn fat.

    TC

  17. tcomeau said:

    So, show us one or more of the following:

    You mean "me," not "us." You seem to be the only person who
    doubts the applicability of thermodynamics to human bodies.

    Here's an interesting article, although not exactly on this
    precise topic:

    apa.orgpsp7761121.html

    --
    Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach
    me directly.

  18. randy gallimore http said:

    you don't have to do away with cals to lose weight, with
    proper sleep, exercise, metabolism, will bburn fat ...

    Same thing. You have a hypocaloric diet in either case;
    that is, you are eating less than you burn. You can create
    a calorie deficit by either eating less, or exercising
    more, or both.

    --
    Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach
    me directly.

  19. On 16 Mar 2004 07:08:49 -0800, [email hidden] (tcomeau) posted:

    Quoted message said:

    [email hidden] wrote in message news:<[email hidden]-
    net.com>...

    Quoted message said:

    I don't want you to go away, just provide the scientific
    evidence on which you base your new theory of weight
    status without reference to calorie status. I don't want
    to quibble about the existence of past research which
    manipulates calories for various research ends and
    illustrate the relationship to weight status, they exist.
    Here is but one, the easiest to recall and put my hands
    on, as requested, one time free subscription required:

    medscape.com469768 3

    There is much evidence to, at the very least, question the
    validity of directly applying the math of calories to
    weight management.

    You keep saying this but never come up with any.

    Quoted message said:

    There was the one study that showed that low-carbers can
    eat as much as 300 cals more than low-fat doeters and still
    lose the same or more weight.

    As this was an atrocious study that was unreplicable and
    didn't even know what the insignificant weight loss was
    composed of -- fat, muscle, water -- and was
    counterproductive even mentioning it....

    Quoted message said:

    If you contend that the laws of thermo are *directly*
    applicable to the human body in terms of direct
    mathematical weight management then this is the example
    that disproves it.

    If that's all you have, your reputation as an idiot is
    confirmed.

    Quoted message said:

    The simple matter is that if restricting calories were all
    that mattered, then anyone, and I mean ANYONE could easily
    lose weight any time they wanted to.

    And they can, you goose! Trouble is it is difficult to
    restrict calories for some. This isn't too difficult for
    you, is it?

    Quoted message said:

    It is so easy to go a few days or weeks and simply
    moderately restrict all food intake that virtually anyone
    could do it. But it remains that 60% or so of the american
    public is obese, including a huge number of people who
    genuinely attempt to restrict calories and actually
    succeed in restricting calories but always seem to fail in
    actually losing weight in the end.

    And you know that they eat hypocalorically how?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    It says in short that there are many factors as to the
    specific effect of amount of calories in and metabolism
    of same and the final weight loss. There is no surprise
    here, all human biological activities exibit themselves
    in a bell curve.

    The bell curve. Glad you brought that up. A number of
    studies have indicated that as many as 95% to 98% of those
    who restrict fat and calories fail to lose weight.

    So they should try eating hypocalorically. It always works,
    never failed.

    Quoted message said:

    Statistically that means that restricting calories fails to
    the third standard deviation.

    And two plus two is not four to the third standard
    deviation? Who said a little knowledge is dangerous, Sarge?

    Quoted message said:

    The curve is upside down. At first glance one could almost
    argue that restricting calories actually causes weight gain
    and vice versa.

    Well YOU could! And do!!! The Don Quixote of Sci Med
    Nutrition 🙂

    Quoted message said:

    But if you look a bit closer and beyond just the numbers of
    calories you will see that the method employed to lose
    weight involves restricting fats and proteins and
    increasing the consumption of carbs, and more often than
    not refined carbs.

    Where do you get this total [censored] from. NO-ONE that I know of
    recommends substituting fat and protein calories for refined
    carbs. Refined foods are to be avoided. That's a given, stop
    trying to sidetrack with irrelevancies.

    Quoted message said:

    Hence my argument that macro-nutrient intake impacts
    hormones(insulin/glucagon) which impacts weight gain and
    fat storage.

    Without a shred of evidence! Have you seen how various
    proteins have a large effect on insulin secretion? How do
    you explain this? Or do you just ignore inconvenient
    facts, as usual?

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    But, if you read the article, in a controlled
    situation where input is measured in a controlled in
    hospital situation, all lost weight with lower calories.
    Because of the range of variation to x amount of calories
    in/out and weight status, we cann't conclude that the
    in/out notion fails, just that there are real limits to
    the in/out and the final result in all people is a
    change in weight status. Knowing this biological
    reality doesn't disprove the calorie in/out approach
    to creating a plan to lose or gain weight, it just
    says what the most usual result is for the great
    majority of folk who fall in the wide middle of the
    curve;ie. 500 cal/day/week = 1 lb lost. I suggest you
    read the entire series, parts 1 and 2:

    medscape.com470747

    medscape.com469768

    I suggest you read the "current concensus" link on the
    first url above as the basis by which you frame the
    extraordinary evidence which displases that concensus.

    The current consensus has been wrong for generations.

    Yep and you are the only one in step without a shred of
    evidence. But you can't see it.... Snarfffff!

    Quoted message said:

    Is that
    possible?

    Not without a shred of evidence.

    Quoted message said:

    Many of us believe so. Why? Because the consensus
    has failed.

    Many? You and TC? Who else?

    Quoted message said:

    If the consensus were correct, then obesity would not be a
    problem for those willing to apply a modicum of effort to
    lose weight, but we know that even those who work hard at
    losing weight by restricting calories are more likely to
    fail then they are to succeed.

    Can you honestly not see the difference between TRYING to
    restrict calories and actually doing it? Or are you a bit
    soft in the head?

    Quoted message said:

    Studies are showing, consistently I may add, that low-carb
    works significantly better than low-fat.

    At what? Being able to restrict calories for the many
    syndrome X folk around these days? I don't wonder about that
    at all. Still doesn't change the fact that ALL folk who eat
    hypocalorically will lose fat storage, and all folk who eat
    hypercalorically will gain fat store.

    Quoted message said:

    That is now an acknowledged fact.

    See above. I don't think you understand what you are stating
    is a fact.

    Quoted message said:

    The low-fat ideologist must now explain what the science is
    behind their failed program.

    Calories are the only measure of whether you gain or
    lose body fat stores, and fat has two-and-a-half times
    the calories as an equal weight of carb or protein.
    Which unnecessary excess nutrient would a sensible
    person restrict?

    Quoted message said:

    We are beyond the stage where the low-carb group needs to
    explain anything.

    No, it is a fine trick to reduce syndrome X sufferers'
    caloric intake, so long as there don't turn out to be
    harmful long-term effects. Trouble is you think it is a
    magic bullet that somehow suspends the laws of
    thermodynamics. Please visit your library for a few weeks.

    Quoted message said:

    So, show us one or more of the following:

    1) The seminal study or series of studies that established
    once and for all that calories are directly applicable
    to the typical human in terms of weight gain or loss.

    Conservation of calories applies universally. It has NEVER
    been shown to be invalid anywhere. If you can show it has,
    please do so and stop waving your arms.

    Quoted message said:

    2) The names(s) of the ground breaking researcher(s) that
    came up with this breakthrough finding.

    Conservation of energy? That doesn't matter. Don't you know
    how science works? No-one has ever demonstrated the
    breaching of these centuries old principles. If you consider
    it is false somewhere, then the onus is on you to show
    where, with evidence. I won't hold my breathe coz you have
    been unable to show any evidence for several years that I'm
    aware or your silly ravings on this group.

    Quoted message said:

    or

    3) The definitive proof to support the calorie concept in
    any form whatsoever.

    As it has never been faulted in centuries EVER! The onus is
    on you to show just one tiny aberration.

    Quoted message said:

    or

    4) A clear and precise explanation of the exact biological
    process that occurs in the human body that triggers fat
    storage or fat usage in direct response to calorie
    intake.

    Pulllleeeeese visit your library!!!

    Quoted message said:

    How does the body respond to a low-calorie diet to cause it
    to burn fat

    Energy needs, you idiot. What else?

    Quoted message said:

    and how does it respond to a high-calorie diet that
    causes the body to store fat and how does it know what
    state it is in.

    It burns the energy it needs and stores the energy that it
    has in excess. What else did you have in mind?

    Quoted message said:

    I want the basic metabolic pathways, the specific bio-
    chemical responses and the trigger mechanism that causes
    the fat cells to stor or burn fat.

    Read a book, ferchrissake!

    Quoted message said:

    The ball is in the court of the low-calorie camp.

    Try an even more elementary book on the scientific method.
    You have to show something you claim to go against the
    universally held scientific knowledge of centuries.

    Quoted message said:

    It is time put your money where your mouth is.

    EVERYTHING shows that energy is conserved. You want to claim
    otherwise, then you have to demonstrate it.

    Quoted message said:

    Low-carbers, including myself, have done what they can to
    make their argument.

    So when are you going to try science and stop waving
    your arms?

    Quoted message said:

    And all the low-fatters have done is a bunch of high-handed
    arrogant derision and name-calling. Put up or shut up.

    You put up and shut up. I've asked you for years for your
    claimed metabolic lab study that shows a hypercaloric diet
    can result in the loss of body fat storage. ALL metabolic
    lab studies to date show this can't happen, yet you claim it
    can with ZERO evidence.

    Mooosh🙂

  20. On 14 Mar 2004 20:43:23 GMT, Laurel Amberdine <[email hidden]>
    posted:

    Quoted message said:
    Mxsmanic said:
    Pizza Girl said:

    There are fat people everywhere proving your statement
    incorrect.

    There are no such people. Put them on a hypocaloric diet
    under controlled conditions, and they will lose weight.
    There have never been any exceptions.

    Quoted message said:

    Most people cannot do it for a required length of time.

    Perhaps so, but the fact remains that as long as their
    diet is hypocaloric, they'll lose weight.

    Hrmn, well. I don't know about that. There's me, and while
    I am certainly weird, I am probably not the only one. Even
    if I am the only one, one case is enough to disprove your
    blanket assertion.

    If I drop my calories I (sequentially):

    (1) start to feel extremely bad
    (2) get invaded by a virus
    (3) develop an irregular heartbeat
    (4) start fainting

    ...all without having lost any weight.

    At this point, I go back to eating normally because the
    fainting distresses my husband. It looks to me like
    whatever hormone it is that says "get some fuel out of
    storage" isn't working for me. (What is it? Glucagon? I
    haven't looked this stuff up in years.)

    Anyway, just because you are fortunate enough to have all
    your bodily systems working properly, don't assume that is
    the case for everyone.

    Which changes none of the facts stated.

    Have you had this problem diagnosed properly?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.