Question on Calories

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Passionofdarwin, Mar 11, 2004.

  1. My husband is 5 foot 8 inches and weighs 220 pounds. He
    walks 2 miles a day, at a slow or moderate pace. I have some
    questions about calories and dieting.

    How many calories would he burn per mile?

    How many calories would he normally need each day?

    How many calories are in each pound of fat on him?

    How many calories should he take in daily, to lose 2
    pounds per week?

    Thanks!

    Tags:

  2. markd

    markd Guest

    It is perhaps easier to ask the question in a different way, as to how
    many caleries to reduce from the current intake to lose weight at a given
    rate. Choosing a pound a week, one would lower consumption by 500
    calories, one pound of stored fat is about 3500 caleries and 500/day gives
    us the per week daily rate. It has been found that more then 1.5 pounds
    per week tends to be counter productive for long term weight loss and
    maintenance. If one looks at an exercise chart for caleries/hour by type,
    only the most intensive consume many caleries. Don't count on caleries
    consumed to add much to the daily loss. Exercise does have many other
    health benefits which don't address the point of your question and should
    be done at the same time as reducing caleries for that reason alone. To
    be mindful of calerie intake, one must have some measure of portions by
    weight or measure. See:

    http://www.calorieking.com/foods/search.php

    to assist you in doing so. By seeing how much he now
    consumes for total caleries, you can then know how much to
    reduce each day for the desired rate of loss. This is a very
    vcomplex area and I have only addressed the questions you
    have raised. Other points to educate yourself about are the
    quality of the food he eats and the amounts of nutrients
    anyone needs to consume for overall health. There are many
    net based sources of that kind of information and maybe some
    can be addressed here in subsequent questions, good luck.

    >My husband is 5 foot 8 inches and weighs 220 pounds. He
    >walks 2 miles a day, at a slow or moderate pace. I have
    >some questions about calories and dieting.
    >
    >How many calories would he burn per mile?
    >
    >How many calories would he normally need each day?
    >
    >How many calories are in each pound of fat on him?
    >
    >How many calories should he take in daily, to lose 2 pounds
    >per week?
    >
    >Thanks!

  3. Pizza Girl

    Pizza Girl Guest

    Lose calories too fast and you can lose your
    gallbladder with it.

    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    net.com...

    > It is perhaps easier to ask the question in a different
    > way, as to how many caleries to reduce from the current
    > intake to lose weight at a given rate. Choosing a pound a
    > week, one would lower consumption by 500 calories, one
    > pound of stored fat is about 3500 caleries and 500/day
    > gives us the per week daily rate. It has been found that
    > more then 1.5 pounds

  4. Mxsmanic

    Mxsmanic Guest

    PassionOfDarwin writes:

    > My husband is 5 foot 8 inches and weighs 220 pounds. He
    > walks 2 miles a day, at a slow or moderate pace. I have
    > some questions about calories and dieting.
    >
    > How many calories would he burn per mile?

    About 110 kcal per mile, over and above his resting energy
    requirement.

    > How many calories would he normally need each day?

    Perhaps 2500 kcal, depending on how active he is.

    > How many calories are in each pound of fat on him?

    3500

    > How many calories should he take in daily, to lose 2
    > pounds per week?

    He should eat 1000 kcal less than he burns in order to lose
    two pounds per week. Since this is about half his calorie
    quota for each day, it will probably be difficult to reduce
    calories by this much. A reduction of 500 kcal per day (the
    equivalent of a Big Mac) or even 200 (the equivalent of a
    glass of whole milk) might be a lot easier.

    --
    Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach
    me directly.

  5. Mxsmanic

    Mxsmanic Guest

    Pizza Girl writes:

    > Lose calories too fast and you can lose your gallbladder
    > with it.

    Only if you are predisposed to gallbladder problems, as a
    general rule.

    --
    Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach
    me directly.

  6. Dally

    Dally Guest

    PassionOfDarwin wrote:
    > My husband is 5 foot 8 inches and weighs 220 pounds. He
    > walks 2 miles a day, at a slow or moderate pace. I have
    > some questions about calories and dieting.

    Losing fat is something people do when they decide to do it.
    Having their WIFE decide to do it doesn't help. It's not
    rocket science, it doesn't need to be charted in advance, it
    just takes four steps:

    1. Eat less
    2. Exercise more
    3. Repeat
    4. Forever.

    I found that each step has its own struggles. The most
    important thing I did was to decide I didn't want to be fat
    anymore and do what it takes to stop being fat. (I've lost
    62 pounds since then.)

    > How many calories would he burn per mile?

    Irrelevant, really. Exercise should serve more purposes than
    how many calories it burns during the exercise. Does it
    raise his heart rate to 80% of max? (My guess is not.) It
    should. Does it stimulate muscle growth? (My guess is not.)
    Does it raise his resting metabolism? I don't know.

    > How many calories would he normally need each day?

    A starting rule of thumb for a man is 12x his weight in
    calories, but not going under 10x his weight in calories.
    I've found that the composition of the calories makes a
    big difference. I like to eat only 40-50% of my calories
    from carbs just to get the most satietion out of my
    calorie budget.

    > How many calories should he take in daily, to lose 2
    > pounds per week?

    It's a two part formula where both parts produce feedback
    on each other. He has to eat less AND burn more. A good
    starting place is for him to log all his foods at
    www.fitday.com and see how much he's currently eating.
    Then eat less.

    But fat loss is best measured in retrospect. Having goals
    about how much fat you plan to lose only makes it likely
    that you'll quit in frustration when you don't meet your
    goal. A better goal is to adopt a healthy habit each week.
    How many healthy habits can he adopt that he can hold onto
    for the rest of his life?

    I really do hate to see people coming here on behalf of a
    loved one. Losing weight is intrinsically something you have
    to do alone. No diet and exercise plan works - HE has to do
    all the work. (The diet plan just sits there.) Until he's
    ready to do it he will just fail.

    Dally

  7. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    [email protected] (PassionOfDarwin) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > My husband is 5 foot 8 inches and weighs 220 pounds. He
    > walks 2 miles a day, at a slow or moderate pace. I have
    > some questions about calories and dieting.
    >
    > How many calories would he burn per mile?
    >
    > How many calories would he normally need each day?
    >
    > How many calories are in each pound of fat on him?
    >
    > How many calories should he take in daily, to lose 2
    > pounds per week?
    >
    > Thanks!

    The math involved in predicting weight loss or gain using
    caloric values of food is not very useful. 98% of those who
    attempt to lose weight by restricting and/or counting
    calories fail. It is a fundamentally flawed theory. It
    doesn't work. There is no science that links caloric values
    of food with controlling weight/fat in humans. I challenge
    anyone to show us the definitive and seminal study that
    makes the direct and un-equivocal connection between calorie-
    intake and weight management (gain/loss).

    TC

  8. [email protected] wrote:

    >It is perhaps easier to ask the question in a different
    >way, as to how many caleries to reduce from the current
    >intake to lose weight at a given rate. Choosing a pound a
    >week, one would lower consumption by 500 calories, one
    >pound of stored fat is about 3500 caleries and 500/day
    >gives us the per week daily rate. It has been found that
    >more then 1.5 pounds per week tends to be counter
    >productive for long term weight loss and maintenance. If
    >one looks at an exercise chart for caleries/hour by type,
    >only the most intensive consume many caleries. Don't count
    >on caleries consumed to add much to the daily loss.
    >Exercise does have many other health benefits which don't
    >address the point of your question and should be done at
    >the same time as reducing caleries for that reason alone.
    >To be mindful of calerie intake, one must have some measure
    >of portions by weight or measure. See:
    >
    >http://www.calorieking.com/foods/search.php
    >
    >to assist you in doing so. By seeing how much he now
    >consumes for total caleries, you can then know how much to
    >reduce each day for the desired rate of loss. This is a
    >very vcomplex area and I have only addressed the questions
    >you have raised. Other points to educate yourself about are
    >the quality of the food he eats and the amounts of
    >nutrients anyone needs to consume for overall health. There
    >are many net based sources of that kind of information and
    >maybe some can be addressed here in subsequent questions,
    >good luck.
    >
    >>My husband is 5 foot 8 inches and weighs 220 pounds. He
    >>walks 2 miles a
    day, at
    >>a slow or moderate pace. I have some questions about
    >>calories and dieting.
    >>
    >>How many calories would he burn per mile?
    >>
    >>How many calories would he normally need each day?
    >>
    >>How many calories are in each pound of fat on him?
    >>
    >>How many calories should he take in daily, to lose 2
    >>pounds per week?
    >>
    >>Thanks!
    first, he should watch caloric intake, eat smaller portions
    of foods, more frequently, 4 or 5 small meals, breakfast
    most important, boiled egg white for protein, piece of whole
    grain bread,bowl of oatmeal for fiber. not so much the
    calories, if possible raw vegs, and fruits, drink plenty of
    water. or he could go to this site where the ceo has just
    lost 100lbs last two years on dream away weight loss program
    http://ran23.healthyoudeserve.com

  9. Tim Tyler

    Tim Tyler Guest

    tcomeau <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:

    > The math involved in predicting weight loss or gain using
    > caloric values of food is not very useful. 98% of those
    > who attempt to lose weight by restricting and/or counting
    > calories fail. It is a fundamentally flawed theory. It
    > doesn't work. There is no science that links caloric
    > values of food with controlling weight/fat in humans. I
    > challenge anyone to show us the definitive and seminal
    > study that makes the direct and un-equivocal connection
    > between calorie-intake and weight management (gain/loss).

    Er - isn't it about time to get in touch with ground
    control?
    --
    __________
    |im |yler http://timtyler.org/ [email protected] Remove
    lock to reply.

  10. [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] Once
    upon a time, our fellow Tim Tyler rambled on about "Re:
    Question on Calories." Our champion De-Medicalizing in
    sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...

    >Er - isn't it about time to get in touch with ground
    >control?

    Ha, ... Hah, Ha!

    Do you really expect TC to be anything but our village
    idiot?

    Ha, ... Hah, Ha!

  11. [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] Once
    upon a time, our fellow Tim Tyler rambled on about "Re:
    Question on Calories." Our champion De-Medicalizing in
    sci.med.nutrition retorts, thusly ...

    >Er - isn't it about time to get in touch with ground
    >control?

    Ha, ... Hah, Ha!

    Do you really expect TC to be anything but our village
    idiot?

    Ha, ... Hah, Ha!

  12. markd

    markd Guest

    Ah, if the ceo was 100 lbs over weight, why should we
    follow his weight advice? The site is just another
    "miricle" in a bottle scam with all the familiar pitches.
    Spam, just ignore.

    "or he could go to this site where the ceo has just lost
    100lbs last two years on dream away weight loss program ..."

  13. markd

    markd Guest

    "Suggesting weight by restricting and/or counting calories
    fail. It is a fundamentally flawed theory. It doesn't work.
    There is no science that links caloric values of food with
    controlling weight/fat in humans. I challenge anyone to show
    us the definitive and seminal study that makes the direct
    and un-equivocal connection between calorie-intake and
    weight management (gain/loss)."

    Then you might enlighten us as to the "real scientific"
    principle by which weight is lost or gained; and the
    supporting research by which it is supported. In the context
    of generations of research such an extraordinary claim
    requires extraordinary evidence from your perspective, not
    from the current concensus. If accepted science is to be
    replaced, and it is from time to time, the new notion
    carries all the burden of evidence.

  14. Mxsmanic

    Mxsmanic Guest

    tcomeau writes:

    > The math involved in predicting weight loss or gain using
    > caloric values of food is not very useful. 98% of those
    > who attempt to lose weight by restricting and/or counting
    > calories fail.

    One hundred percent of people who try to lose weight
    without creating a calorie deficit fail. One hundred
    percent of people who try to lose weight by creating a
    calorie deficit succeed.

    It's all calories in versus calories out. It is the ONLY way
    to lose weight, and it ALWAYS works.

    > It is a fundamentally flawed theory. It doesn't work.
    > There is no science that links caloric values of food with
    > controlling weight/fat in humans.

    The laws of thermodynamics guarantee that a caloric deficit
    will produce weight loss. There are no exceptions.

    > I challenge anyone to show us the definitive and seminal
    > study that makes the direct and un-equivocal connection
    > between calorie-intake and weight management (gain/loss).

    There are hundreds of such studies, but they aren't really
    needed, since the laws of thermodynamics are pretty clear.
    Ever wonder why you don't see anyone in a long-term coma
    who is obese?

    --
    Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach
    me directly.

  15. Pizza Girl

    Pizza Girl Guest

    10x my weight in ounces?

    "Dally" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    berlin.de...
    > PassionOfDarwin wrote:
    > > My husband is 5 foot 8 inches and weighs 220 pounds. He
    > > walks 2 miles a
    day, at
    > > a slow or moderate pace. I have some questions about
    > > calories and
    dieting.

    > Losing fat is something people do when they decide to do
    > it. Having their WIFE decide to do it doesn't help. It's
    > not rocket science, it doesn't need to be charted in
    > advance, it just takes four steps:
    >
    > 1. Eat less
    > 2. Exercise more
    > 3. Repeat
    > 4. Forever.
    >
    > I found that each step has its own struggles. The most
    > important thing I did was to decide I didn't want to be
    > fat anymore and do what it takes to stop being fat. (I've
    > lost 62 pounds since then.)
    >
    > > How many calories would he burn per mile?
    >
    > Irrelevant, really. Exercise should serve more purposes
    > than how many calories it burns during the exercise. Does
    > it raise his heart rate to 80% of max? (My guess is not.)
    > It should. Does it stimulate muscle growth? (My guess is
    > not.) Does it raise his resting metabolism? I don't know.
    >
    > > How many calories would he normally need each day?
    >
    > A starting rule of thumb for a man is 12x his weight in
    > calories, but not going under 10x his weight in calories.
    > I've found that the composition of the calories makes a
    > big difference. I like to eat only 40-50% of my calories
    > from carbs just to get the most satietion out of my
    > calorie budget.
    >
    > > How many calories should he take in daily, to lose 2
    > > pounds per week?
    >
    > It's a two part formula where both parts produce feedback
    > on each other. He has to eat less AND burn more. A good
    > starting place is for him to log all his foods at
    > www.fitday.com and see how much he's currently eating.
    > Then eat less.
    >
    > But fat loss is best measured in retrospect. Having goals
    > about how much fat you plan to lose only makes it likely
    > that you'll quit in frustration when you don't meet your
    > goal. A better goal is to adopt a healthy habit each week.
    > How many healthy habits can he adopt that he can hold onto
    > for the rest of his life?
    >
    > I really do hate to see people coming here on behalf of a
    > loved one. Losing weight is intrinsically something you
    > have to do alone. No diet and exercise plan works - HE has
    > to do all the work. (The diet plan just sits there.) Until
    > he's ready to do it he will just fail.
    >
    > Dally

  16. Pizza Girl

    Pizza Girl Guest

    You have no idea what you are talking about. Thiose
    oversimplified statements posted by you are just horseshit
    of the highest calibre and completely not true.

    eg: "One hundred percent of people who try to lose weight
    by creating a calorie deficit succeed" is just a damn lie.
    Most people attempting this fail because most people fail
    at all diets.

    "Mxsmanic" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > tcomeau writes:
    >
    > > The math involved in predicting weight loss or gain
    > > using caloric values of food is not very useful. 98% of
    > > those who attempt to lose weight by restricting and/or
    > > counting calories fail.
    >
    > One hundred percent of people who try to lose weight
    > without creating a calorie deficit fail. One hundred
    > percent of people who try to lose weight by creating a
    > calorie deficit succeed.
    >
    > It's all calories in versus calories out. It is the ONLY
    > way to lose weight, and it ALWAYS works.
    >
    > > It is a fundamentally flawed theory. It doesn't work.
    > > There is no science that links caloric values of food
    > > with controlling weight/fat in humans.
    >
    > The laws of thermodynamics guarantee that a caloric
    > deficit will produce weight loss. There are no exceptions.
    >
    > > I challenge anyone to show us the definitive and seminal
    > > study that makes the direct and un-equivocal connection
    > > between calorie-intake and weight management
    > > (gain/loss).
    >
    > There are hundreds of such studies, but they aren't really
    > needed, since the laws of thermodynamics are pretty clear.
    > Ever wonder why you don't see anyone in a long-term coma
    > who is obese?
    >
    > --
    > Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to
    > reach me directly.

  17. Dally

    Dally Guest

    Pizza Girl wrote:

    > 10x my weight in ounces?

    No dear, in calories. It turns out that calories
    consumed actually ARE an important aspect of a fat-
    reduction plan. Sorry.

    Dally

  18. Pizza Girl

    Pizza Girl Guest

    So I use my weight in calories and multiply by ten.

    How heavy is a calorie?

    "Dally" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    berlin.de...
    > Pizza Girl wrote:
    >
    > > 10x my weight in ounces?
    >
    > No dear, in calories. It turns out that calories
    > consumed actually ARE an important aspect of a fat-
    > reduction plan. Sorry.
    >
    > Dally

  19. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    Mxsmanic <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > tcomeau writes:
    >
    > > The math involved in predicting weight loss or gain
    > > using caloric values of food is not very useful. 98% of
    > > those who attempt to lose weight by restricting and/or
    > > counting calories fail.
    >
    > One hundred percent of people who try to lose weight
    > without creating a calorie deficit fail. One hundred
    > percent of people who try to lose weight by creating a
    > calorie deficit succeed.
    >
    > It's all calories in versus calories out. It is the ONLY
    > way to lose weight, and it ALWAYS works.

    If that were true then anyone who wanted to be thin and
    followed the low-fat/low-calorie diet would be thin. Period.
    But that ain't the case, is it?

    > > It is a fundamentally flawed theory. It doesn't work.
    > > There is no science that links caloric values of food
    > > with controlling weight/fat in humans.
    >
    > The laws of thermodynamics guarantee that a caloric
    > deficit will produce weight loss. There are no exceptions.

    Has nothing to do with the laws of thermodynamics. It is
    several levels removed from the laws of thermo. Applying the
    laws of thermo to weight control is extreme
    oversimplification and sheer stupid assumption.

    > > I challenge anyone to show us the definitive and seminal
    > > study that makes the direct and un-equivocal connection
    > > between calorie-intake and weight management
    > > (gain/loss).
    >
    > There are hundreds of such studies, but they aren't really
    > needed, since the laws of thermodynamics are pretty clear.

    Then show me ONE! Otherwise Shut the f... up.

    > Ever wonder why you don't see anyone in a long-term coma
    > who is obese?

    Since when does the extreme prove anything other than
    the extreme?

    TC

  20. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    > "Suggesting weight by restricting and/or counting calories
    > fail. It is a fundamentally flawed theory. It doesn't
    > work. There is no science that links caloric values of
    > food with controlling weight/fat in humans. I challenge
    > anyone to show us the definitive and seminal study that
    > makes the direct and un-equivocal connection between calorie-
    > intake and weight management (gain/loss)."
    >
    > Then you might enlighten us as to the "real scientific"
    > principle by which weight is lost or gained; and the
    > supporting research by which it is supported. In the
    > context of generations of research such an extraordinary
    > claim requires extraordinary evidence from your
    > perspective, not from the current concensus. If accepted
    > science is to be replaced, and it is from time to time,
    > the new notion carries all the burden of evidence.

    It does not require extraordinary proof when the initial
    theory itself was never proven. It was assumed. If it was
    indeed "proven" then such an important breakthrough would be
    well known to all in terms of when and who proved it.

    Please provide me this info and I will meekly go away. Give
    me the study and the name of the researcher who proved with
    certainty that calories could be used to accurately predict
    weight loss or gain in humans. Should be easy, since it is
    such a fundamental principle in nutrition.

    As far as replacing accepted science, I say that the science
    was never there. It was accepted on face value and nothing
    else. Show me the science.

    TC