Question on commuting

ZeboThePenguin

May 8, 2016
I'm new to this cycling forum but I would love to see everyone's opinion on what gear they wear when it comes to commuting? Do most of you guys just wear a helmet and then proceed with your commutes? Or do you guys wear full gear from top to bottom?
Sorry if this question may sound stupid xD

In Metro Manila in particular, the helmet is a must when using 2-wheels. You can get arrested if you ride without a helmet so those hard-headed riders have learned their lessons to be detained for some hours - having no helmet is not a crime but a traffic violation that can earn you a ticket if you have a license like motorcycles. But for bike riders, a reprimand is in order and detained for some hours is a neat lesson.

You always have to get adequate protection, as you need it in case things go very wrong. You could be hit by a car during these commutes, and you need as much protection as possible to leave an accident with as minimum damage as possible. Helmets, elbow and knee pads, and even reflector vests to be able to be seen by drivers even at night, when you ride around near the road when it starts to get dark. You also need a GPS tracker maybe, just to be sure you get to your destination in one piece. All that, and add a touch of road rules, and you'll be fine during your commutes.

My commute is one hour at a good pace each way, so I ride in all bike-specific clothes. Shower & change at work.
Helmet and bright color clothing during light summer months. Hi-Viz vest and lights the rest of the year.

During my commutes, I think it's most important to be both adequately protected in the event of a crash, as well as adequately advertised. What I mean by the latter is that I prefer to wear highly reflective gear to make sure cars and trucks give me a wide berth so as to avoid an accident. It's easy to find a small backpack that will let you store all of this equipment during the work day.

The distance between my work and home is slightly under 11 miles each way but I seldom go direct. The shortest ride I do is 15 miles (unless it is really windy or I feel like ****) and longest 61 miles (flat :oops:). The average per trip distance is ~30 miles. I typically ride the transit in and cycle back four times a week starting spring. When there is sufficient daylight, summer and fall, I incorporate commuting both ways at least twice a week. I typically ride the trainer during winter as I'm not too particular riding in the dark or wet. Friday is rest day and transporting my work cloth home/work (I hate riding with a pack on my back). My commute is my training ride so do I gear up, yes. Do what makes sense for you but definitely keep the helmet on at all times.

I simply take a set of clothes to the office on Friday to last the following week, then ride to work wearing biking clothes Monday thru Thursday. I take home my dirty work clothes in a pack pack everyday but sometimes I just bring them home on Friday.

I chose Friday to drive into work because I've found Friday to be the most dangerous day of the week for commuting on a bike. I know statistics show Thursday is the most dangerous day of the week to ride a bike but that has never been my experience in over 40 years of riding a bike, or even driving a car, no matter what city I lived in.

Keep in mind, if there is any possibility you will be commuting in the dark (winter months or staying late at work), you should invest in a reflective vest (and reflective strips on your backpack or messenger bag) and one of those helmets that has a flashing light on it. Riding in the dark, especially after a long day at work, can be really scary and everyone's reaction time is a little worse.

Usually if I am commuting to work which is around a 40 minute ride 10 miles away, I would prop on my helmet and ear buds and just go.

A road bike properly set and fit for you, a good quality helmet and you're good to go regardless of how miles you're going to ride. If sweating is expected, bring with you some extra clothing to change when you arrive the workplace. Commuting as a habit is quite pleasant and energizing, and will get use to it pretty quick. I suggest also to make a previous trip to determine which route is more convenient or time efficient for your commuting.

You need a helmet, knee and elbow pads, a full arm cycling jersey, cycling shorts and a some cycling shoes.

I seriously doubt and question the sanity of saying you need knee and elbow pads, if you're going to that extreme then you might as well include wearing a motorcycle full body armor kit.

Ok back to the sane world. Having a very bright tail light is also a high priority, I recommend having at least a 100 lumen (even brighter if you can afford it) tail light that has a fast flashing rate. You need something very bright so that during the day it's rapidly and easily seen on the brightest of days, and gets the motorists attention quickly because most motorists today are too busy watch what's in their lap and not the road.