Question on cycle computers

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by John Latter, Jan 28, 2004.

  1. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    Hi,

    I've just bought a Raleigh wireless cycle computer from Argos which is much better in many respects
    than the one I tried from Halfords (own brand) but I'm still not entirely happy!

    The Raleigh Echo-W1 has 9 functions including two arrows one of which continuously flashes to
    indicate whether or not you're above/below the average speed. And I don't like it! :)

    This function cannot be switched off in the Raleigh & I was wondering if this was the same for other
    makes which have a similar function - 'specially as Argos & Halfords are the only shops in my town
    which supply cycle computers & I'll have to go mail order next time.

    Also, does anyone have an opinions/experiences re the Speedzone cycle computer like the one
    shown here:

    http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productviewer.asp?ID=1&type=computers

    If so, does it have any annoying continuously flashing gizmos on it ('cept colons of course)

    Thanks in advance,

    --

    John Latter

    Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-
    Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect. http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

  2. "John Latter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, The Raleigh Echo-W1 has 9 functions including two arrows one of which continuously flashes to
    > indicate whether or not you're above/below the average speed. And I don't like it! :)
    snip

    My Halford's 12 function one also has this stupid feature.

    --
    M Stewart Milton Keynes, UK www.megalith.freeserve.co.uk/oddimage.htm
    http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ms1938/

  3. > The Raleigh Echo-W1 has 9 functions including two arrows one of which
    > continuously flashes to indicate whether or not you're above/below the
    > average speed. And I don't like it! :)

    At least you can take it back! I've never noticed the flashy thing before - don't know whether it's
    because I'm paying more attention to the road or no attention to anything!

  4. "John Latter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... ...

    > The Raleigh Echo-W1 has 9 functions including two arrows one of which continuously flashes to
    > indicate whether or not you're above/below the average speed. And I don't like it! :)

    What's wrong with that? Ah, maybe you're not the competitive sort ;-). Mine has this feature but
    it's too small so you can't really see it without focusing more attention on it than the road, which
    is ill-advised. I'd _like_ to be able to see it!

    Rich

  5. The blurb for the latest New! IMPROVED!! Cateye Astrale 8 says it has this feature; I've got [cranks
    up fingers] three older model Astrale CC-100s and an older Astrale 8 around the place and I'm pretty
    sure they haven't.

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  6. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    John Latter wrote:
    > The Raleigh Echo-W1 has 9 functions including two arrows one of which continuously flashes to
    > indicate whether or not you're above/below the average speed. And I don't like it! :)

    > This function cannot be switched off in the Raleigh & I was wondering if this was the same for
    > other makes which have a similar function - 'specially as Argos & Halfords are the only shops in
    > my town which supply cycle computers & I'll have to go mail order next time.

    Cateye Mity3* just has a tiny non-flashing arrow indicator for this. I would expect the same with
    the cordless versions.

    ~PB

  7. John Latter

    John Latter Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 07:19:27 +0000, John Latter <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I've just bought a Raleigh wireless cycle computer from Argos which is much better in many respects
    >than the one I tried from Halfords (own brand) but I'm still not entirely happy!
    >
    >The Raleigh Echo-W1 has 9 functions including two arrows one of which continuously flashes to
    >indicate whether or not you're above/below the average speed. And I don't like it! :)
    >
    >This function cannot be switched off in the Raleigh & I was wondering if this was the same for
    >other makes which have a similar function - 'specially as Argos & Halfords are the only shops in my
    >town which supply cycle computers & I'll have to go mail order next time.
    >
    >Also, does anyone have an opinions/experiences re the Speedzone cycle computer like the one
    >shown here:
    >
    >http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productviewer.asp?ID=1&type=computers
    >
    >If so, does it have any annoying continuously flashing gizmos on it ('cept colons of course)

    Thanks to everyone who replied! Obviously it's a question of personal preference but if I've got to
    have an indicator telling me whether or not I'm above/below average speed then I would prefer
    something like Pete Biggs' Cateye Mity3.

    Anyway, I've got 16 days in which I can return the Echo-W1 to Argos so I'll see how it goes - I was
    less aware of the flashing today but maybe the weather had something to do with it! :)

    Regards,