Question on cycle computers

John Latter

Guest
Hi,

I've just bought a Raleigh wireless cycle computer from Argos which is much better in many respects
than the one I tried from Halfords (own brand) but I'm still not entirely happy!

The Raleigh Echo-W1 has 9 functions including two arrows one of which continuously flashes to
indicate whether or not you're above/below the average speed. And I don't like it! :)

This function cannot be switched off in the Raleigh & I was wondering if this was the same for other
makes which have a similar function - 'specially as Argos & Halfords are the only shops in my town
which supply cycle computers & I'll have to go mail order next time.

Also, does anyone have an opinions/experiences re the Speedzone cycle computer like the one
shown here:

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productviewer.asp?ID=1&type=computers

If so, does it have any annoying continuously flashing gizmos on it ('cept colons of course)

Thanks in advance,

--

John Latter

Model of an Internal Evolutionary Mechanism (based on an extension to homeostasis) linking Stationary-
Phase Mutations to the Baldwin Effect. http://members.aol.com/jorolat/TEM.html

"John Latter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi, The Raleigh Echo-W1 has 9 functions including two arrows one of which continuously flashes to
> indicate whether or not you're above/below the average speed. And I don't like it! :)
snip

My Halford's 12 function one also has this stupid feature.

--
M Stewart Milton Keynes, UK www.megalith.freeserve.co.uk/oddimage.htm
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/ms1938/

> The Raleigh Echo-W1 has 9 functions including two arrows one of which
> continuously flashes to indicate whether or not you're above/below the
> average speed. And I don't like it! :)

At least you can take it back! I've never noticed the flashy thing before - don't know whether it's
because I'm paying more attention to the road or no attention to anything!

"John Latter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... ...

> The Raleigh Echo-W1 has 9 functions including two arrows one of which continuously flashes to
> indicate whether or not you're above/below the average speed. And I don't like it! :)

What's wrong with that? Ah, maybe you're not the competitive sort ;-). Mine has this feature but
it's too small so you can't really see it without focusing more attention on it than the road, which
is ill-advised. I'd _like_ to be able to see it!

Rich

The blurb for the latest New! IMPROVED!! Cateye Astrale 8 says it has this feature; I've got [cranks
up fingers] three older model Astrale CC-100s and an older Astrale 8 around the place and I'm pretty
sure they haven't.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

John Latter wrote:
> The Raleigh Echo-W1 has 9 functions including two arrows one of which continuously flashes to
> indicate whether or not you're above/below the average speed. And I don't like it! :)

> This function cannot be switched off in the Raleigh & I was wondering if this was the same for
> other makes which have a similar function - 'specially as Argos & Halfords are the only shops in
> my town which supply cycle computers & I'll have to go mail order next time.

Cateye Mity3* just has a tiny non-flashing arrow indicator for this. I would expect the same with
the cordless versions.

~PB

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 07:19:27 +0000, John Latter <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've just bought a Raleigh wireless cycle computer from Argos which is much better in many respects
>than the one I tried from Halfords (own brand) but I'm still not entirely happy!
>
>The Raleigh Echo-W1 has 9 functions including two arrows one of which continuously flashes to
>indicate whether or not you're above/below the average speed. And I don't like it! :)
>
>This function cannot be switched off in the Raleigh & I was wondering if this was the same for
>other makes which have a similar function - 'specially as Argos & Halfords are the only shops in my
>town which supply cycle computers & I'll have to go mail order next time.
>
>Also, does anyone have an opinions/experiences re the Speedzone cycle computer like the one
>shown here:
>
>http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productviewer.asp?ID=1&type=computers
>
>If so, does it have any annoying continuously flashing gizmos on it ('cept colons of course)

Thanks to everyone who replied! Obviously it's a question of personal preference but if I've got to
have an indicator telling me whether or not I'm above/below average speed then I would prefer
something like Pete Biggs' Cateye Mity3.

Anyway, I've got 16 days in which I can return the Echo-W1 to Argos so I'll see how it goes - I was
less aware of the flashing today but maybe the weather had something to do with it! :)

Regards,