Question on DQ VHSL championship meet

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by oasysco, Feb 4, 2006.

  1. oasysco

    oasysco Guest

    Hi. I've got a question for anybody with knowledge of VA High School
    League rules.

    We had a district meet today to set qualifiers for the regional meet
    next week.

    My son was in the top 8 for the 500 free, which earned him a spot in
    the regionals.

    He was also was #16 in the top 16 for the 50 free, which would not have
    earned him a regional place for that event, but makes it necessary for
    him to swim that event during the championship leg of the meet tonight.

    My son's coach didn't notice that my son had qualified for the top 16
    in the 50 free. As a result, my son was a no-show for that event.

    As a result, they disqualified him from swimming the championship 500
    free event. He had earned his regional spot earlier that morning, but
    now we're being told that my son is also disqualified from the regional
    meet next week, even though the no-show took place *after* he earned
    his place in the top 8, which is how you qualifiy for regionals.

    Does anybody know if that's true?

    Thanks,
    Greg

    Tags:

  2. diablo

    diablo Guest

    "oasysco" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi. I've got a question for anybody with knowledge of VA High School
    > League rules.
    >
    > We had a district meet today to set qualifiers for the regional meet
    > next week.
    >
    > My son was in the top 8 for the 500 free, which earned him a spot in
    > the regionals.
    >
    > He was also was #16 in the top 16 for the 50 free, which would not have
    > earned him a regional place for that event, but makes it necessary for
    > him to swim that event during the championship leg of the meet tonight.
    >
    > My son's coach didn't notice that my son had qualified for the top 16
    > in the 50 free. As a result, my son was a no-show for that event.
    >
    > As a result, they disqualified him from swimming the championship 500
    > free event. He had earned his regional spot earlier that morning, but
    > now we're being told that my son is also disqualified from the regional
    > meet next week, even though the no-show took place *after* he earned
    > his place in the top 8, which is how you qualifiy for regionals.
    >
    > Does anybody know if that's true?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Greg

    Don't specifically know the VA rules, but given the US Swimming rules of
    most LSC's, failing to show for pre-qualiified finals without 'due cause'
    automatically ejects that swimmer from the meet entirely including all
    points earned.

    Thats nmot to say HS rules are so harsh, but many state interscholastic
    athletics are based on rules from the 'outside world', in this case US
    Swimming and their respective LSC's.

    I would imagine an appeal by your son's coach, perhaps AD might stand a
    chance...depends how hard nosed the crew is.

  3. oasysco

    oasysco Guest

    Thanks, Diablo.

  4. oasysco

    oasysco Guest

    >perhaps AD might stand a chance...

    One more question... what does "AD" stand for?

    Thanks,
    Greg

  5. diablo

    diablo Guest

    "oasysco" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > >perhaps AD might stand a chance...

    > One more question... what does "AD" stand for?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Greg

    your school's athletic director/activities director

  6. On 4 Feb 2006 17:22:19 -0800, "oasysco" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hi. I've got a question for anybody with knowledge of VA High School
    >League rules.
    >
    >We had a district meet today to set qualifiers for the regional meet
    >next week.
    >
    >My son was in the top 8 for the 500 free, which earned him a spot in
    >the regionals.
    >
    >He was also was #16 in the top 16 for the 50 free, which would not have
    >earned him a regional place for that event, but makes it necessary for
    >him to swim that event during the championship leg of the meet tonight.
    >
    >My son's coach didn't notice that my son had qualified for the top 16
    >in the 50 free. As a result, my son was a no-show for that event.
    >
    >As a result, they disqualified him from swimming the championship 500
    >free event. He had earned his regional spot earlier that morning, but
    >now we're being told that my son is also disqualified from the regional
    >meet next week, even though the no-show took place *after* he earned
    >his place in the top 8, which is how you qualifiy for regionals.
    >
    >Does anybody know if that's true?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Greg

    The 2005-2006 NFHS (high school) Swimming Rules page 18 ruke 3-2
    Penalties:

    3. (Championship meets only) For failing to compete in all races,
    heats and rounds for which he/she has qualified or entered (exception
    in body of rule), the competitior sha;; be disqualified from further
    competition. The competitior shall not be disqualified from events in
    subsequent rounds for which he/she has previously qualified (previous
    performances not nullified).

    Preliminary round of meet

    1. Kid swims 50 free and qualifies for consolation finals.

    2. Kid then swims 500 freestyle and qualifies for championship
    finals and qualifies for regional meet.

    Preliminary round of meet ends

    Final round of meet starts

    3. Kid misses 50 free and is disqualified from further
    competition.

    4. Kid had previously qualified for 500 free in prelim round. Kid
    should be allowed to swim.

    Coach should call the state or district athletic office. I'll try and
    get in touch with the NFHS Swimm Rules Committee chair tomorrow
    (Monday) and she if the above is the right interpretation.

    Your state or area may use a different set of rules and/or may have
    some special exceptions, but your coach should know about this.

    Dave Snowden
    Redondo beach, Calif.