Question on DQ VHSL championship meet

oasysco

Guest
Hi. I've got a question for anybody with knowledge of VA High School
League rules.

We had a district meet today to set qualifiers for the regional meet
next week.

My son was in the top 8 for the 500 free, which earned him a spot in
the regionals.

He was also was #16 in the top 16 for the 50 free, which would not have
earned him a regional place for that event, but makes it necessary for
him to swim that event during the championship leg of the meet tonight.

My son's coach didn't notice that my son had qualified for the top 16
in the 50 free. As a result, my son was a no-show for that event.

As a result, they disqualified him from swimming the championship 500
free event. He had earned his regional spot earlier that morning, but
now we're being told that my son is also disqualified from the regional
meet next week, even though the no-show took place *after* he earned
his place in the top 8, which is how you qualifiy for regionals.

Does anybody know if that's true?

Thanks,
Greg

"oasysco" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi. I've got a question for anybody with knowledge of VA High School
> League rules.
>
> We had a district meet today to set qualifiers for the regional meet
> next week.
>
> My son was in the top 8 for the 500 free, which earned him a spot in
> the regionals.
>
> He was also was #16 in the top 16 for the 50 free, which would not have
> earned him a regional place for that event, but makes it necessary for
> him to swim that event during the championship leg of the meet tonight.
>
> My son's coach didn't notice that my son had qualified for the top 16
> in the 50 free. As a result, my son was a no-show for that event.
>
> As a result, they disqualified him from swimming the championship 500
> free event. He had earned his regional spot earlier that morning, but
> now we're being told that my son is also disqualified from the regional
> meet next week, even though the no-show took place *after* he earned
> his place in the top 8, which is how you qualifiy for regionals.
>
> Does anybody know if that's true?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

Don't specifically know the VA rules, but given the US Swimming rules of
most LSC's, failing to show for pre-qualiified finals without 'due cause'
automatically ejects that swimmer from the meet entirely including all
points earned.

Thats nmot to say HS rules are so harsh, but many state interscholastic
athletics are based on rules from the 'outside world', in this case US
Swimming and their respective LSC's.

I would imagine an appeal by your son's coach, perhaps AD might stand a
chance...depends how hard nosed the crew is.

>perhaps AD might stand a chance...

One more question... what does "AD" stand for?

Thanks,
Greg

"oasysco" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >perhaps AD might stand a chance...

> One more question... what does "AD" stand for?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg

your school's athletic director/activities director

On 4 Feb 2006 17:22:19 -0800, "oasysco" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hi. I've got a question for anybody with knowledge of VA High School
>League rules.
>
>We had a district meet today to set qualifiers for the regional meet
>next week.
>
>My son was in the top 8 for the 500 free, which earned him a spot in
>the regionals.
>
>He was also was #16 in the top 16 for the 50 free, which would not have
>earned him a regional place for that event, but makes it necessary for
>him to swim that event during the championship leg of the meet tonight.
>
>My son's coach didn't notice that my son had qualified for the top 16
>in the 50 free. As a result, my son was a no-show for that event.
>
>As a result, they disqualified him from swimming the championship 500
>free event. He had earned his regional spot earlier that morning, but
>now we're being told that my son is also disqualified from the regional
>meet next week, even though the no-show took place *after* he earned
>his place in the top 8, which is how you qualifiy for regionals.
>
>Does anybody know if that's true?
>
>Thanks,
>Greg

The 2005-2006 NFHS (high school) Swimming Rules page 18 ruke 3-2
Penalties:

3. (Championship meets only) For failing to compete in all races,
heats and rounds for which he/she has qualified or entered (exception
in body of rule), the competitior sha;; be disqualified from further
competition. The competitior shall not be disqualified from events in
subsequent rounds for which he/she has previously qualified (previous
performances not nullified).

Preliminary round of meet

1. Kid swims 50 free and qualifies for consolation finals.

2. Kid then swims 500 freestyle and qualifies for championship
finals and qualifies for regional meet.

Preliminary round of meet ends

Final round of meet starts

3. Kid misses 50 free and is disqualified from further
competition.

4. Kid had previously qualified for 500 free in prelim round. Kid
should be allowed to swim.

Coach should call the state or district athletic office. I'll try and
get in touch with the NFHS Swimm Rules Committee chair tomorrow
(Monday) and she if the above is the right interpretation.

Your state or area may use a different set of rules and/or may have
some special exceptions, but your coach should know about this.

Dave Snowden
Redondo beach, Calif.