Question on Fitting - Compact Geometry

cityscapex5

Aug 2, 2004
Hi - im being fitted for my first road bike - a compact geometry Specialized Roubaix Pro. The question i have is that I've been fitted on a M or 54cm which both shops i visited sized up for me with their eye. Everything feels good especially the reach with the standard stem (i think 90mm) but i don't have the 1" clearance from the top tube - i understand the bike shop guy isnt going to reach down there with a ruler - he just sort of looks at you expectantly with a "well..how does it feel?". If i were too fall off the saddle there wouldnt be any damage if i landed on my feet but lets say the top tube and the um...lower part of my privates are on "familiar" terms - is this ok or should i go down to a 52" where i feel too cramped on the standard setup. I'm 5'8 with a longer torso and shorter legs (30" inseam). This is an expensive bike so i don't want to find out that its too large later. I took it for several long rides on a couple ascents and the flats and it felt great - nothing about it felt too big or out of control - in fact i was amazed at quickly and easily i could climb and take hairpin turns.

cityscapex5 said:
Hi - im being fitted for my first road bike - a compact geometry Specialized Roubaix Pro. The question i have is that I've been fitted on a M or 54cm which both shops i visited sized up for me with their eye. Everything feels good especially the reach with the standard stem (i think 90mm) but i don't have the 1" clearance from the top tube - i understand the bike shop guy isnt going to reach down there with a ruler - he just sort of looks at you expectantly with a "well..how does it feel?". If i were too fall off the saddle there wouldnt be any damage if i landed on my feet but lets say the top tube and the um...lower part of my privates are on "familiar" terms - is this ok or should i go down to a 52" where i feel too cramped on the standard setup. I'm 5'8 with a longer torso and shorter legs (30" inseam). This is an expensive bike so i don't want to find out that its too large later. I took it for several long rides on a couple ascents and the flats and it felt great - nothing about it felt too big or out of control - in fact i was amazed at quickly and easily i could climb and take hairpin turns.
You're buying a compact frame and don't have 1" clearance?? This sounds a bit odd...a compact frame should have tons of clearance between your boys and the top tube.

cityscapex5 said:

I'm same - 5'8", 154lbs and around 30" inseam and I have a size M (54) Giant TCR. It feels good and doesnt give me any problems, in terms of pain , etc. 10cm stem length, 44cm bar width.

cityscapex5 said:

With a 30" inseam you should have a hell-lot-of clearance on a M compact.
Unless you are standing right up against the head tube that is.

If it is a size 54 standard frame, then, yes, you might have some problem with clearance. I have 31" inseam, and barely 2 cm over a 54 standard. :D

Yeah, is the clearance OK near the seat tube? Makes sense that it would be worse at the headtube given the compact geometry.

At any rate, the Roubaix pro is one sweeeeeet bike. Good luck.