Question on Gears

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Giant Atx 860, Mar 16, 2004.

  1. Should I be able to have my chain on the biggest ring at the
    front, and on the smallest ring at the back ie : the hardest
    to pedal gear, without any rubbing on the chain guard, and
    with a smooth feel like any other gear ?

    I have Deore LX groupset cheers

    Tags:

  2. "Giant ATX 860" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Should I be able to have my chain on the biggest ring at
    > the front, and on the smallest ring at the back ie : the
    > hardest to pedal gear, without any rubbing on the chain
    > guard, and with a smooth feel like any other gear ?
    >
    > I have Deore LX groupset cheers

    No.

  3. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

  4. "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Giant ATX 860" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Should I be able to have my chain on the biggest ring at
    > > the front, and
    on
    > > the smallest ring at the back ie : the hardest to pedal
    > > gear, without
    any
    > > rubbing on the chain guard, and with a smooth feel like
    > > any other gear ?
    > >
    > > I have Deore LX groupset cheers
    >
    > No.

    Can I change my answer? I mis-read the question...

    In theory - Yes, in practice - who feckin' knows I've had
    enough mech fettlin' over the last few days and not even on
    my own bike.

    Steve.

  5. Iguana

    Iguana Guest

    Giant ATX 860 wrote:
    > Should I be able to have my chain on the biggest ring at
    > the front, and on the smallest ring at the back ie : the
    > hardest to pedal gear, without any rubbing on the chain
    > guard, and with a smooth feel like any other gear ?
    >
    > I have Deore LX groupset cheers

    As someone else stated, in theory, yes, in practice,
    maybe not.

    My expereince has been that 3 out of 4 times the gears get
    tuned, you can't get all gears working without FD rub. Once,
    and only once, when I had a really good tech tune my gears,
    did I get all gears running smoothly without any rub.
    However, that was on an 8 speed set. On my 2 9 speed bikes,
    one a Deore set, the other XTR, I get rub.

  6. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    "Iguana" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Giant ATX 860 wrote:
    > > Should I be able to have my chain on the biggest ring at
    > > the front, and on the smallest ring at the back ie : the
    > > hardest to pedal gear, without any rubbing on the chain
    > > guard, and with a smooth feel like any other gear ?
    > >
    > > I have Deore LX groupset cheers
    >
    > As someone else stated, in theory, yes, in practice,
    > maybe not.
    >
    > My expereince has been that 3 out of 4 times the gears get
    > tuned, you
    can't
    > get all gears working without FD rub. Once, and only once,
    > when I had a really good tech tune my gears, did I get all
    > gears running smoothly
    without
    > any rub. However, that was on an 8 speed set. On my 2 9
    > speed bikes, one a Deore set, the other XTR, I get rub.

    Mine's just fine and dandy in any combo w/regard to
    chain rub.

    Shaun aRe

  7. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    "Giant ATX 860" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Should I be able to have my chain on the biggest ring at
    >the front, and on the smallest ring at the back ie : the
    >hardest to pedal gear, without any rubbing on the chain
    >guard, and with a smooth feel like any other gear ?
    >
    >I have Deore LX groupset

    Nothing about an LX kit that would keep you from preventing
    rubbing the chain "on the chain guard" (I assume you're
    talking about the front derailleur cage).

    But what you may be experiencing is frame flex, not
    component problems. If your seat tube/bottom bracket flexes
    when you're out of the saddle, it can deflect the front
    derailleur enough to cause the chain to rub on the FD cage.

    Barring that, most times when the problem is in the big
    ring/small cog, you can correct it by rotating the tail
    of the FD cage out (away from the centerline of the
    bike) a little.

    Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of
    the $695 ti frame

  8. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    >> "Giant ATX 860" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>> Should I be able to have my chain on the biggest ring at
    >>> the front, and on the smallest ring at the back ie : the
    >>> hardest to pedal gear, without any rubbing on the chain
    >>> guard, and with a smooth feel like any other gear ?

    Isn't that called cross chaining? I thought it put undue
    stress on the drive train and your chain. I've always been
    taught to use alternative gearing ( second chain ring for
    starters) if that's where you want to put your gearing?

    penny

  9. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > >> "Giant ATX 860" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> news:[email protected]...
    > >>>

    > Isn't that called cross chaining? I thought it put undue
    > stress on the
    drive
    > train and your chain. I've always been taught to use
    > alternative gearing ( second chain ring for starters) if
    > that's where you want to put your gearing?

    I think that's how Steve read it the first time before
    correcting himself, but no, it's not - he's talking about
    highest gear - biggest ring fronts, smallest at back. HTH.

    Shaun aRe

    news:[email protected]...

    (
    > > second chain ring for starters) if that's where you want
    > > to put your gearing?
    >
    > I think that's how Steve read it the first time before
    > correcting himself, but no, it's not - he's talking about
    > highest gear - biggest ring fronts, smallest at back. HTH.

    Dammit I was just about to point and laugh HaHa, what fool
    would make such a schoolboy error.

    Steve.

  11. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    "spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > > "Penny S" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > > message news:[email protected]...
    front,

    > > > Isn't that called cross chaining? I thought it put
    > > > undue stress on the
    > > drive
    > > > train and your chain. I've always been taught to use
    > > > alternative
    gearing
    > (
    > > > second chain ring for starters) if that's where you
    > > > want to put your gearing?
    > >
    > > I think that's how Steve read it the first time before
    > > correcting
    himself,
    > > but no, it's not - he's talking about highest gear -
    > > biggest ring
    fronts,
    > > smallest at back. HTH.
    >
    > Dammit I was just about to point and laugh HaHa, what fool
    > would make such
    > schoolboy error.

    Happy to pull the rug from under you, matey >',;~}~

    Shaun aRe

  12. G.T.

    G.T. Guest

    > "Giant ATX 860" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Should I be able to have my chain on the biggest ring at
    > >the front, and
    on
    > >the smallest ring at the back ie : the hardest to pedal
    > >gear, without any rubbing on the chain guard, and with a
    > >smooth feel like any other gear ?
    > >
    > >I have Deore LX groupset
    >
    > Nothing about an LX kit that would keep you from
    > preventing rubbing the chain "on the chain guard" (I
    > assume you're talking about the front derailleur cage).
    >
    > But what you may be experiencing is frame flex, not
    > component problems. If your seat tube/bottom bracket
    > flexes when you're out of the saddle, it can deflect the
    > front derailleur enough to cause the chain to rub on the
    > FD cage.
    >
    > Barring that, most times when the problem is in the big
    > ring/small cog, you can correct it by rotating the tail
    > of the FD cage out (away from the centerline of the bike)
    > a little.

    Yep, after running 9 spd for however long I've finally got
    the front derailer angled to where I get no rub in any
    combos I use.

    Greg

  13. Giant ATX 860 wrote:

    >Should I be able to have my chain on the biggest ring at
    >the front, and on the smallest ring at the back ie : the
    >hardest to pedal gear, without any rubbing on the chain
    >guard, and with a smooth feel like any other gear ?

    Sorry - misread - big at front and small at back it top
    gear. Should be just fine...
    --
    Paul Matthews [email protected] http://www.hepcats.co.uk

  14. Giant ATX 860 wrote:

    >Should I be able to have my chain on the biggest ring at
    >the front, and on the smallest ring at the back ie : the
    >hardest to pedal gear, without any rubbing on the chain
    >guard, and with a smooth feel like any other gear ?

    Why would you want to?
    --
    Paul Matthews [email protected] http://www.hepcats.co.uk

  15. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "Giant ATX 860" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Should I be able to have my chain on the biggest ring at
    > the front, and on the smallest ring at the back ie : the
    > hardest to pedal gear, without any rubbing on the chain
    > guard, and with a smooth feel like any other gear ?
    >
    > I have Deore LX groupset cheers

    Turn it into a singlespeed.

    JD problem solved

  16. Iguana

    Iguana Guest

    Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > "Iguana" <[email protected]> wrote in message ne-
    > ws:[email protected]
    > s.com...
    >> Giant ATX 860 wrote:
    >>> Should I be able to have my chain on the biggest ring at
    >>> the front, and on the smallest ring at the back ie : the
    >>> hardest to pedal gear, without any rubbing on the chain
    >>> guard, and with a smooth feel like any other gear ?
    >>>
    >>> I have Deore LX groupset cheers
    >>
    >> As someone else stated, in theory, yes, in practice,
    >> maybe not.
    >>
    >> My expereince has been that 3 out of 4 times the gears
    >> get tuned, you can't get all gears working without FD
    >> rub. Once, and only once, when I had a really good tech
    >> tune my gears, did I get all gears running smoothly
    >> without any rub. However, that was on an 8 speed set. On
    >> my 2 9 speed bikes, one a Deore set, the other XTR, I
    >> get rub.
    >
    > Mine's just fine and dandy in any combo w/regard to
    > chain rub.
    >

    > Shaun aRe

    I should have read the post more closely. I have no issues
    with rub when using large to small, my problems relate to
    cross-chaining(large to large, small to small)

    Though I know this puts more stress on the gear components,
    I have been told that one can indeed tune a 9 gear to have
    absolutely no rub no matter what gear you use.

    Getting it prefect is my goal. At the present, I am too much
    of a novice to tune the gears to perfection myself. Hell, if
    I try to tune my gears, I usually end up going over to my
    LBS to get them to remedy the mess I made. And my current
    LBS' tech doesn't seem to be able to tune without getting
    rub from cross-chaining.

  17. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    "Iguana" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > > "Iguana" <[email protected]> wrote in message ne-
    > > ws:[email protected]
    > > s.com...

    > >> As someone else stated, in theory, yes, in practice,
    > >> maybe not.
    > >>
    > >> My expereince has been that 3 out of 4 times the gears
    > >> get tuned, you can't get all gears working without FD
    > >> rub. Once, and only once, when I had a really good tech
    > >> tune my gears, did I get all gears running smoothly
    > >> without any rub. However, that was on an 8 speed set.
    > >> On my 2 9 speed bikes, one a Deore set, the other XTR,
    > >> I get rub.
    > >
    > > Mine's just fine and dandy in any combo w/regard to
    > > chain rub.
    > >

    > > Shaun aRe
    >
    > I should have read the post more closely. I have no issues
    > with rub when using large to small, my problems relate to
    > cross-chaining(large to large, small to small)

    Which are two no-no combo's unless you want significantly
    (IME) excellerated chain and gear wear.

    Having said that however, I get no cage/chain rub in
    those combo's anyhow (XT rear mech, LX conventional pull
    front mech).

    > Though I know this puts more stress on the gear
    > components, I have been
    *told
    > that one can indeed tune a 9 gear to have absolutely no
    > rub no matter what gear you use.

    *I know this to be fact.

    > Getting it prefect is my goal. At the present, I am too
    > much of a novice
    > tune the gears to perfection myself. Hell, if I try to
    > tune my gears, I usually end up going over to my LBS to
    > get them to remedy the mess I made. And my current LBS'
    > tech doesn't seem to be able to tune without getting
    rub
    > from cross-chaining.

    I have never had a satisfactory set-up from an LBS, new
    bike, or new tune up, which is why I do all the
    tweaking myself.

    It did take me quite some time to learn how best to set up a
    front mech, though, and I find mine have always worked best
    when I set the cage (via seat tube clamp) higher on the tube
    than Shit-man-no! recommend.

    Trial and error, with some logical common sense, a good
    eye, and a little foreknowledge, is a damned good
    teacher, IMNSHO!

    Cheers!

    Shaun aRe

  18. crazy6r54

    crazy6r54 Guest

    Yes.

    I MTB 2004

  19. Trailgalore

    Trailgalore Guest

    > "Giant ATX 860" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Should I be able to have my chain on the biggest ring at
    > > the front, and
    on
    > > the smallest ring at the back ie : the hardest to pedal
    > > gear, without
    any
    > > rubbing on the chain guard, and with a smooth feel like
    > > any other gear ?

    The chain might be bent