Question on getting more flexible

donrhummy

Jan 5, 2006
I've been doing stretches (static, that I hold for 30 seconds) for my hip flexors (and other relevant muscles) for 10 months now. I do them every day, 2-4 times a day (as I was directed to) and while in each stretch I'm able to get a little further than I could before, and it loosens the muscles afterwards, every day I'm just as tight as I was 10 months ago.

Does anyone know what I can do to make permanent flexibility increases? Obviously, static stretching every day is not doing it. What are my options?

Thanks!

donrhummy said:
I've been doing stretches (static, that I hold for 30 seconds) for my hip flexors (and other relevant muscles) for 10 months now. I do them every day, 2-4 times a day (as I was directed to) and while in each stretch I'm able to get a little further than I could before, and it loosens the muscles afterwards, every day I'm just as tight as I was 10 months ago.

Does anyone know what I can do to make permanent flexibility increases? Obviously, static stretching every day is not doing it. What are my options?

Thanks!
There are several 'modalities' to stretching.
Here's some information from an NASM newsletter.
Note the three keywords here are:
Static Stretching, Active Stretching, Dynamic Stretching

Hip Flexors

How to stretch the Iliopsoas,

using the NASM Flexibility Continuum
Iliopsoas

Origin: Transverse processes and bodies of lumbar vertebrae
Insertion: Lesser trochanter of femur
Concentric Function: Accelerates hip flexion, hip adduction and hip external rotation
Eccentric Function:Decelerates hip extension, hip abduction and hip internal rotation
Isometric Function:Dynamically stabilizes the lumbo-pelvic-hip complex during movement

• Developing length in this muscle is recommended for anybody who exhibits tight hip flexors or an anterior pelvic tilt (For example: People who have a “sit-down” job or people who wear shoes with elevated heels).
  • Remember that shortened and “tight” hip flexors will decrease the ability of the glute complex to contract appropriately. This will cause compensatory muscles such as the Piriformis and Biceps femoris to become overworked and lead to tissue breakdown and a decrease in performance.
Corrective Flexibility

Static Stretch: Standing Hip Flexor Stretch

Rationale: To restore length to the shortened muscle

Directions:
  • First assume a staggered (one foot in front of the other) stance.
  • Internally rotate your back leg to put a transverse stretch on your psoas. Draw your belly button toward your spine and posteriorly rotate your pelvis (tuck your rear), this will add a sagittal plane stretch to the psoas.
  • Lift arm and lean across your body (toward the side of the front leg) to add a lateral stretch to the psoas.
  • Rotate your upper body back toward the rear leg for another transverse stretch. Contract your left glute. Hold for 20-30 seconds. Repeat on other side.
Important Tips:
  • Maintain a drawing-in position at all times.

• Do not allow yourself to “fall” back into an anterior pelvic tilt (arch your back) at any time during the stretch, always maintain a posterior pelvic tilt.
  • Maintain a chin-tucked position at all times.
Active Flexibility

Active Stretch: Standing Hip Flexor Stretch

Rationale: To prepare the nervous system to contract the proper force-couple relationships pre-workout

Directions:
  • Follow the same directions for the active standing hip flexor stretch as the static standing hip flexor stretch. The only difference is hold the end position for 2-4 seconds instead of 20-30 seconds.
Functional Flexibility

Dynamic Stretch: Walking Lunge with Twist

Rationale: To challenge tissues in functional speeds, as well as provide a dynamic functional warm-up

Directions:
  • Assume a shoulder width stance. Step forward with your left leg, allowing your back leg’s hip to extend (Iliopsoas), knee to flex (rectus femoris) and your back ankle to dorisflex (gastroc, soleus).
  • With your arm’s clasped or holding on to an object (i.e. stability ball, dumbbell, Powerball) rotate leading with the chest towards the front leg (lats, obliques).
  • Rotate the upper body back to the starting position and drive forward to assume a shoulder width stance. Repeat on the other side.
Important Tips:
  • Maintain a drawing-in position at all times.
  • Do not allow yourself to arch your back at any time during the movement.
  • Maintain a chin-tucked position at all times.