Question on LeMond bikes

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Archer, May 13, 2003.

  1. Archer

    Archer Guest

    I'm doing research for a new bike, and want one which has drop bars, brifters, and a mid-range group
    (F.E. 105 or Tiagra), and mounts for fenders and a rack. Something like a Specialized Sequoiah
    Expert. LeMond's web site doesn't say anything about rack/fender mounts for any of their bikes, nor
    do they show big pictures I could use to see if there are eyelets or braze-ons for this stuff. As
    far as I can tell by going to roadbikereviews.com, it looks like the Wayzata has the eyelets, but
    nothing else says yea or nay. I know it has flat bars rather than drops.

    Basically, can anybody confirm or deny the existence of eyelets/braze-ons on the Wayzata, and maybe
    tell me if there are any other LeMonds which have them?

    it's morning".

  2. If you're looking for a LeMond to tour with (adequate fender clearance and rack capabilities), check
    out the 'Cross bike. It won't have the '105 or Tiagra components, but the frame is much better
    suited to touring. If by touring you mean credit-card style though (no tent or sleeping bag), you
    can probably do fine with the Tourmalet (Tiagra), Alpe D'Huez ('105) or Buenos Aires (Ultegra), but
    keep in mind those bikes have carbon forks and aren't suitable for front racks, only rear. Eyelets
    are provided at the rear dropouts, but for the top you'll be attaching them to the brake bolt or
    rubber/plastic-coated clamps that go around the seat stays.

    "archer" <[email protected]_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I'm doing research for a new bike, and want one which has drop bars, brifters, and a mid-range
    > group (F.E. 105 or Tiagra), and mounts for fenders and a rack. Something like a Specialized
    > Sequoiah Expert. LeMond's web site doesn't say anything about rack/fender mounts for any of their
    > bikes, nor do they show big pictures I could use to see if there are eyelets or braze-ons for this
    > stuff. As far as I can tell by going to roadbikereviews.com, it looks like the Wayzata has the
    > eyelets, but nothing else says yea or nay. I know it has flat bars rather than drops.
    >
    > Basically, can anybody confirm or deny the existence of eyelets/braze-ons on the Wayzata, and
    > maybe tell me if there are any other LeMonds which have them?
    >
    > --
    > David Kerber An optimist says "Good morning, Lord." While a pessimist says "Good Lord, it's
    > morning".
    >
    > Remove the ns_ from the address before e-mailing.

  3. Archer

    Archer Guest

    Thanks for the comments, Mike; I'm not looking for touring so much as just the ability to mount a
    rack for running to the store or riding to referee soccer games or an occasional century, where I
    just bungee-cord my bag on the rack. Most of my riding will be for fun and exercise or the Monday
    night time-trials. I want the fenders to keep the grime off my chain and shoes when I do early and
    late season rides in the wet.

    Do those 3 models have sufficient clearance in front of the rear wheel for fenders? From the
    pictures on the web site, it doesn't really look like it.

    > If you're looking for a LeMond to tour with (adequate fender clearance and rack capabilities),
    > check out the 'Cross bike. It won't have the '105 or Tiagra components, but the frame is much
    > better suited to touring. If by touring you mean credit-card style though (no tent or sleeping
    > bag), you can probably do fine with the Tourmalet (Tiagra), Alpe D'Huez ('105) or Buenos Aires
    > (Ultegra), but keep in mind those bikes have carbon forks and aren't suitable for front racks,
    > only rear. Eyelets are provided at the rear dropouts, but for the top you'll be attaching them to
    > the brake bolt or rubber/plastic-coated clamps that go around the seat stays.
    >
    > --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles www.ChainReaction.com
    >
    > "archer" <[email protected]_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I'm doing research for a new bike, and want one which has drop bars, brifters, and a mid-range
    > > group (F.E. 105 or Tiagra), and mounts for fenders and a rack. Something like a Specialized
    > > Sequoiah Expert. LeMond's web site doesn't say anything about rack/fender mounts for any of
    > > their bikes, nor do they show big pictures I could use to see if there are eyelets or braze-ons
    > > for this stuff. As far as I can tell by going to roadbikereviews.com, it looks like the Wayzata
    > > has the eyelets, but nothing else says yea or nay. I know it has flat bars rather than drops.
    > >
    > > Basically, can anybody confirm or deny the existence of eyelets/braze-ons on the Wayzata, and
    > > maybe tell me if there are any other LeMonds which have them?

    it's morning".

  4. Jon Isaacs

    Jon Isaacs Guest

    >I'm doing research for a new bike, and want one which has drop bars, brifters, and a mid-range
    >group (F.E. 105 or Tiagra), and mounts for fenders and a rack. Something like a Specialized
    >Sequoiah Expert.

    My limited knowledge is that the Sequoia Expert is a nice balance between a racing bike and a
    touring bike, in my view, this is really the ideal sport-touring bike.

    They seem to use normal reach brakes (49-57mm reach) rather than short reach brakes. These allow
    for the use of both fenders and larger tires, a good thing in a general purpose bike. Touring bikes
    and cross bikes use cantilever/Vbrakes which are nice but do not match well with STI.

    I happened to see a Sequioa at a shop last year and was rather impressed, finally a bike that was
    designed to be ridden as an everyday bike that was still fast and nimble.

    Specialized did a good job of reviving the old Specialized Sequioa from the early 80's.

    Jon Isaacs

  5. Archer

    Archer Guest

    > >I'm doing research for a new bike, and want one which has drop bars, brifters, and a mid-range
    > >group (F.E. 105 or Tiagra), and mounts for fenders and a rack. Something like a Specialized
    > >Sequoiah Expert.
    >
    > My limited knowledge is that the Sequoia Expert is a nice balance between a racing bike and a
    > touring bike, in my view, this is really the ideal sport-touring bike.
    >
    > They seem to use normal reach brakes (49-57mm reach) rather than short reach brakes. These allow
    > for the use of both fenders and larger tires, a good thing in a general purpose bike. Touring
    > bikes and cross bikes use cantilever/Vbrakes which are nice but do not match well with STI.
    >
    > I happened to see a Sequioa at a shop last year and was rather impressed, finally a bike that was
    > designed to be ridden as an everyday bike that was still fast and nimble.

    That's the one I'm leaning toward, but I've still got a few months until I have the money together,
    so I'm doing my "due diligence" to see if there's another one out there which might meet my wants
    and be a little cheaper.

    it's morning".

  6. > Do those 3 models have sufficient clearance in front of the rear wheel for fenders? From the
    > pictures on the web site, it doesn't really look like it.

    You can sneak a low-profile fender in there as long as you don't use a large tire (25c would be the
    biggest)... probably. This may sound funny, but you'll need to check the individual bike, because
    there's a small amount of variation in the brake bridge placement for the rear brake. No problem at
    all if you want to use one of those clip-on style units.