Question on Optimal Training for 1/2 Marathon

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Joe, Feb 21, 2004.

  1. Joe

    Joe Guest

    Hello,

    I recently purchased a treadmill (Pacemaster Pro-Elite), which I have found to be an incredible
    training machine, and so far extremely pleased with it. Unfortunately, it also let's me know how out
    of shape I am because the pace that I am running (slow), my heart rate is too high.. (and it's
    accurate).

    My Goal: .. I would like to be able to run a 1/2 Marathon at a 7:30 Pace

    Stats: I am 44, 154 and have been running for 10 -15 years but not consistently.. 5k's, 10k's etc..
    so I'm not new to running My current pace is very slow... 10-13 Pace.. longest run recently has been
    approx 7 Miles

    Question: Using my Treadmill, maybe with a mixture of running long runs on the weekends, what is the
    most efficient way to reach this goal ? Is it, pushing 7:30 intervals on the treadmill ? Is it
    pushing my aneorbic threshold (HRM training) for a specific time.... ? There are probably a million
    ways to train for this.. but what I am interested in based on the experience and knowledge on this
    forum "what would be the quickest most efficient way/program to reach this goal" ?

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Sam

    Sam Guest

    My favorite and bread and butter workout is 2x20 minutes at a little slower (10 sec/mile) than 10K
    pace with 5 min "jog" between (warm up and cool down as well). This will improve one's speed at
    lactate threshold which is the key predictor for endurance performance. One of these a week,
    adjusting the pace accordingly. If you do not know what your 10K pace is or do not have a way of
    measuring off a course (the TM makes this moot), select a pace that you think you could maintain for
    a 10K and go for it. Ideally do this workout over the same course each time and do it out and back
    so that you can monitor progress (if you run farther in 20min, you are getting faster AS LONG AS you
    can do the return run over the same course in the same amount of time).

    If you cannot run a 5K at 7:30 pace, you will not be able to run a half in
    7:30. Work your way up and be patient.